1.03/1.04 Reactions

foxkill2342

Is 1.03/1.04 an overall improvement?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.03/1.04 an overall improvement?

• Yes, the game is complete and perfect finally!
    • Yes, it fixed the problems in 1.02. Still more work to be done.
    • It didn't fix everything, there is still a lot of work to be done.
    • It fixed a few bugs, but 1.02 was better.
    • It completely ruined the game.

I tried to cook a probe core with an SRM but I found that KSP's parts can tolerate an insane amount of heat and the SRM blows up before the probe core (E: Aside from the probe core thing, this is actually good because exhaust heat isn't ridiculous and seperatrons don't blow up fuel tanks). Also, apparently, if you're going 2km/s when you hit 19km altitude on Kerbin your craft will break up, which is really cool. A few launches last night confirm that it plays and launches much like 0.90 + oldFAR + DRE, which is also great. Basically it's a pretty cool game for being set in a tiny little joke of a solar system.

I've run into some very interesting issues with crashes while entering/exiting the VAB and vessels blowing up over the Mun's poles, but I'm almost certain that's the fault of the mods I have installed. Other than that, it's great!

My list of complaints is getting shorter every day. I REALLY like that MK3 part strength got fixed.. but i'll have to get back from duna to determine my feelings for the aero. I'm also excited to try out some SRB's again.

It's good. Apart from the heatplosion that you get at low altitude + high speed. Not sure why it was felt there was a need for that. Would be a bit better to at least give you a bit of a chance to recover from a rapid heat increase instead of the craft going instantly boom.

Once that is tweaked I'd like all the aero, heat, drag left alone for a good long time so that we can build craft without them becoming obsolete in a few weeks and also to give the mods like MJ a chance to catch up.

I just upgraded today so haven't had time to play with all the bells and whistles yet however I don't think my initial reaction will change.

It fixed a lot of stuff, and there is still stuff to be done.

I've run into some very interesting issues with crashes while entering/exiting the VAB and vessels blowing up over the Mun's poles, but I'm almost certain that's the fault of the mods I have installed. Other than that, it's great!

I have crashed 3 times now, every time it was reverting to the VAB/SPH... This is on a completely stock install too so maybe it isn't the mods?

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f[]=status_id&op[status_id]=%3D&v[status_id][]=10&f[]=&c[]=project&c[]=tracker&c[]=priority&c[]=status&c[]=cf_7&c[]=cf_9&c[]=cf_8&c[]=subject&c[]=assigned_to&c[]=updated_on&c[]=done_ratio&c[]=fixed_version&group_by=

Note the number of confirmed Critical and High priority bugs. It's hardly perfect.

That said, it's damn fun. So there's a lot of work to do, but it's a really great start.

I miss the 'it's just a different iteration of the game we love' option of the poll. Things broke, things get fixed, fixes break other things. Perfection is impossible. Improvement on the long run is undebatable, the fact that I like or dislike a certain change doesn't matter.

I've been holding off doing anything big for weeks in the knowledge that 1.0.3 was on it's way and I'd very likely need to re learn a lot and risk losing ships if I designed them for a system that was going to be seriously re balanced. Now it looks like the 'balance' side of things is not going to get any big changes for a while I feel I can start serious spaceflight again.

Not had chance for more than a quick dabble so far to make sure it downloaded ok. But I will start planning proper missions again now.

Loving it for the most part. Doesn't crash. Framerates are the same.

Radiators seem useless to me, don't seem to do anything. Left it to rotate through 5-6 orbits, whole craft still glowing bright red from launch. Didn't seem to matter much. Engines ran full thrust until it was out of fuel.

While the game is well playable i must admit that i'm getting tired of redesigning my missions. Well, it's not that much a problem but i'd really like to advance instead of grinding for science and bucks over and over again. And i believe that the faster the updates come out the more opportunity is there for ... criticism, be it justified or not (in my eyes much of it is not). Squad, you can't make it right for everyone.

So maybe, please, Squad, i appreciate your work and like to watch my Kerbal stand on a moon and watch a planet rise, no other game provides that feeling, but if you could let us catch our breath. And do not (pls read back) announce an update before it is really done. Eeh, no offence meant ... should be natural.

:-)

k

I think it still needs a lot of tweaks, but the game became increasingly complex with the last few patches. Getting to orbit is not easy, and getting back again neither. Designing a mission that can reliably return from other solar bodies became a lot more interesting.

Grinding still feels terrible, but I think KSP is progressing nicely.

1.03/1.04 fixed most problems, but there are still parts that are producing way more drag than they should. For example, the large reaction wheel produces many times more drag than it should given its small exposed surface area. Heat shields also produce excessive drag during launch despite the fact they are occluded and enclosed in a fairing. There are likely other examples that I haven't noticed. As of 1.04, these issues still haven't been fixed. From what I've seen, this is possibly the biggest bug that still needs to be addressed. The bug makes launch vehicles using these parts excessively draggy, far more than is certainly intended.

I think it still needs a lot of tweaks, but the game became increasingly complex with the last few patches. Getting to orbit is not easy, and getting back again neither. Designing a mission that can reliably return from other solar bodies became a lot more interesting.

Grinding still feels terrible, but I think KSP is progressing nicely.

Getting to orbit is actually stupidly easy. I didn't realize just how easy it had become until I built a simple craft to do a Mun flyby yesterday. What would have taken a fairly massive vehicle in .90 and before became just a couple Thumper boosters and two fairly small liquid stages made up of a half dozen or so FL-T400 tanks, a LV-T45 and a LV-909.

Getting back definitely is harder, though. I think the parachutes might be bugged....they seem to be opening at ASL instead of the altitude over the terrain like they used to. Going to have to investigate that a bit further. :huh:

n/m. I think it's just that you have less time to slow down over land than over water...

Edited by Sidereus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.