1.03/1.04 Reactions

foxkill2342

Is 1.03/1.04 an overall improvement?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.03/1.04 an overall improvement?

• Yes, the game is complete and perfect finally!
    • Yes, it fixed the problems in 1.02. Still more work to be done.
    • It didn't fix everything, there is still a lot of work to be done.
    • It fixed a few bugs, but 1.02 was better.
    • It completely ruined the game.

KSP is a fantastic idea for a game. Its a unique game that makes the player do actual engineering on complex systems. It was a great game around 0.24.

But then we had the "final" release. 1.0. Unfortunately someone missed Software 101 where "beta" is a feature complete release, and after final bug fixes it gets released as 1.0. Meanwhile (as in at the same time), you can have an alpha release with new features, that then turns beta, and after testing becomes 2.0 . (with out without backwards compatibility as you wish).

Instead Squad has released a series of what are reallyalpha releases (new features) in their main line. This is frustrating for long term players, but much worse for Squad it will rapidly discourage any new players - the ones you were hoping would pay real money for the game and let you stay in business. This is not typical for games in production release- don't fool yourselves.

I get the distinct feeling that a layer of pointy-haired management has been put in place on top of the good creative programmers at Squad. Whoever you are, its YOUR fault not theirs so stop shouting at them to fix the bugs.

If you aren't careful this is going to be a disaster for the company - which would be a shame - its one of the most creative games I've ever seen.

My suggestion - back off. Go to 0.9, fix the bugs and release it as 2.0. Then work on an alpha -> beta version with better aerodynamics, heat etc. Wait for modes to be compatible with that version, then in a year release 3.0 with the new features. Make arrangements with the modders to sell bundles of mods (like RO) as game add-ons through steam.

Look - people make fun of me at work for how much time I used to spend on Kerbal, but I haven't played significantly since 1.0. I just dabble a bit with 0.9 RO because that is more stable than your main release.

I really like it! The radiators are a welcome addition and the game is a ton of fun!

Using a mod that shows detailed thermal data and experimenting with yet more low tech micro-shuttles, I completely agree the new thermal model is loads of fun!

Constructing craft just got a bit more challenging with the need to ensure that the craft can re-enter safely to the limits of the current career tech level.

The new stock aero model appears to make aircraft behave much more responsively and pull Gs in a more realistic manner than before too, no longer does it feel like flying through cream of mushroom. Aircraft can also get to higher dive speeds than before.

Dito. I didn't even bother to upgrade to 1.0.3/1.0.4 due to the new issues regarding the exhaust heat / heat resistance of parts. Also, I've just started a new career in 1.0.2 and didn't want to do that again only a few days later with versoin 1.0.4.

I'll play 1.0.4 once I have an iota of confidence that Squad is moving along those numbers in an intentional manner, rather than the... haphazard stuff I've seen so far. Meantime, career stays on my 1.0.2 install, and I'll occasionally test 1.0.4 in sandbox, when I feel like it.

Y'know, about the same level of seriousness as I get from Squad.

Y'all want respect? Try treating my time with respect. Novel concept, I know.

1.0.3/4 fixed the constant crashing on the laptop with its weak IGP I am using when not staying at home (which is 90% of the time) - It is therefore fantastic!

Incidentally I like the revised heating, aerodynamics and balance changes more than those of 1.0

On OS X seems to run with no crashes. Which is a great step forward on Mac.

So so far I'm happy :)

I'm having quite the opposite experience. I'm on OSX and I get very regular crashes and it's starting to really wear out my resolve w/ the game. I have a Core i7, 32GB RAM (I know it can't use it all), and GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB vram. I have most of the settings up 3/4 of the way regarding video. Any suggestions?

I havent played 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 yet because CKAN forbids me to install mods that are considered "incompatible"
CKAN dev has posted about this here, and a more lengthy version with a temp work-around on Reddit. Because my glass is half full, I will selectively quote this (but be sure to check the link.)
Why are there so few CKAN mods for 1.0.4?

by pjf - CKAN Dev

Because the recent KSP releases have been too stable. Yes. Really.

In the past, most mods broke with each new KSP release. Which meant that most mod authors would recompile and upload new releases. When that happened, authors would include .version files, or update their mod's metadata on KerbalStuff, and in turn, our indexing bot (which tracks about 650 mods in total) would spot the new metadata and roll it into our directory.

For 1.0.4 in particular, none of this happened. It was a small bugfix release, which meant that practically everything that works in 1.0.3 also works in 1.0.4. You'd think this would be great, but almost nobody has updated their .version files or KerbalStuff entries to reflect this.

[...]

In the meantime, there are some workarounds, namely: (details at the link)

I disagree with the assessment. It's not that KSP is too stable. It's that the mod interface has stabilized. A game can have a stable API and still be broken in places. Just because you won't have to update your mod doesn't necessarily mean that people can actually play the game.

Really enjoying it. Biggest issue I'd the big swings on atmo rebalance. I like where it ended up, just not wanting to have to keep starting over.

Have no issue with game performance, stability or what the number next to game version is.

1.0.4 has completely ruined the game for me. Sadly, due to Steam auto-updating, I don't have much option to "fix" this.

New amusements so far have included:

- Parachutes all failing together despite surviving re-entry and being flagged as "Safe" to open.

- Rockets continuing to accelerate (radial) even when not under acceleration (engines turned off after a prograde burn), then exploding.

- Kraken on the launchpad.

That's before the basic irritation of mods no longer working, or at the very least having to go and reinstall them, and having to redesign craft just to get out of Kerbin's atmosphere.

The sum total of all of the bugs for my career save has been the death of half of my roster of Kerbonauts (including Jeb, Valentina, Bill and Bob) and a massive increase in the amount of grinding needed just to keep pace with the loss of cash and reputation.

1.0.2 worked just fine thanks, and I don't understand the need for any of the new features brought in for 1.0.4.

This game can never be a perfect product. But it can be totally better than it was before. Like the re balancing they have done with heating and LOVE the new radiator parts. Looks great on stations that need larger "panels" and actually have some balance usage with helping out with some of my heat issues on some of my crafts.

I haven't even bothered to download it. In fact I have decided to completely stop playing the game until SQUAD announce they are completely finished messing about with the key components.

Just logged in to see what if it was worth downloading 1.04 - sounds like its not.

Until the game is stable I will just continue to log in every Tuesday to see how devnote (or is that nonote?) Tuesdays are coming along.

I haven't even bothered to download it. In fact I have decided to completely stop playing the game until SQUAD announce they are completely finished messing about with the key components.

Just logged in to see what if it was worth downloading 1.04 - sounds like its not.

Until the game is stable I will just continue to log in every Tuesday to see how devnote (or is that nonote?) Tuesdays are coming along.

I'm pretty much the same too. Just waiting for them to announce okay, no more tweaking the atmosphere and heating before I get back into playing it.

I can't really agree with any of your poll answers. I think it improved a few things, but it added a half-baked heat mechanism change which has caused a lot of buggy behavior. I kind of wish Squad would stop fixing old problems and adding new problems in the same releases.

I do want the game to continue to get better, so I am up for adding new things, like the skin heat. But they rush the new things a little too fast to release because they are also trying to release fixes for the problems from the last version, and that becomes an endless cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering why the Turbojet and RAPIER (airbreathing) ISP were halved, while the basic jet engine looks like it was left alone.

I don't often dabble in the aero side of things so I'm not very familiar with the engines, but on the surface that sure seems pretty drastic. Were they really that unbalanced before, or did recent tinkering with the aerodynamic model necessitate these changes?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.