1.0.4 SSTO Spaceplanes

spudman2

So, I had a functioning SSTO plane in 1.0.2, but with the recent changes, it seems that pointing my nose at 35 degrees and firing engines until I am space doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anybody have a functioning (preferably LF-only) SSTO plane? What is your flight profile for it? How much LF do you carry?

You probably need to change your flight profile with the recent aero adjustments.

I found with Rapiers I need to start by flying a shallow ascent until they build some speed and then begin to pitch up until climbing very respectably. Once in their power band they perform well.

I am finding the new aero enjoyable, and I expect that it will be stable now while the dev team works on moving to the new Unity engine.

The Stock Payload Fraction Challenge has a couple of excellent spaceplanes working in 1.0.3/1.0.4.

I believe that the K-Prize has entries made in 1.0.3/1.0.4.

Happy landings!

preferably LF-only

Is that even possible? As in no oxidizer at all?

Ahh, forgot about nerves. I see now. I envisioned an SSTO that uses monopropellant once the jets flameout. That sounds fun. I might try it on a boring weekend. :P

Is that even possible? As in no oxidizer at all?

Nukes, boss, Nukes. :D

Doable in FAR, used to work in stock and probably still do. Tricky to design around the low rocket TWR though.

I'm not even trying to get an LF only SSTO working right now with how low powered the nukes are these days. Using only stock parts I got a Mk2 sized SSTO into orbit and can do so regularly now. Taking that to the Mk3 I got into orbit on the first try with tons of fuel to spare. I've found that full throttle, point the nose 20 degrees above the horizon and let that sucker fly is the most efficient way to get into orbit. You *will* almost blow some parts once you're at ~Mach 3 below 10km, but you should just make it. I ride Rapiers in Airbreathing till the velocity levels out, then kick over to closed cycle mode. Works with a Mk2 passenger and Mk2 cargo setup, as well as a Mk3 passenger setup. I haven't tried a Mk3 Cargo SSTO yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a light SSTO that works in 64K (6.4x Scale). It is taking advantage of SCRAMJets from Instell Aerospace (Hope I'm remembering the mod right) however. I don't feel like opening kerbal and taking screenshots for something that might not be relevant to you, but if you request I can show you. I've been getting around to setting up on twitch lately and I just haven't bothered to stream because I don't know what to do. I think I might just pick one day a week to stream for now and set up like "Kerbal Workshop" day where I can do live tutorials for people. But now I'm off topic. u_u;

First, move to shock cones, lower drag and higher temperature, they are making SSTL spaceplanes in the challenges with only one or two nukes, I think you have too many the weight will be killing your twr

Yes thanks

This was one of a series of test craft i made, I probably should have posted a smaller ship, Most of my designs are 2 turbojets and 1 nuke, I was testing different drag models and configurations and had these pictures ready to go

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.