[1.1.x] Procedural Fairings - For Everything! v0.2.0 - July 4

Felger

Is there away to lock a size and and shape so it won't change to the payload so you would have to have a set of fairings ?

I believe there is one in game, in the right click context menu on the fairing wall itself.

I believe there is one in game, in the right click context menu on the fairing wall itself.

I seen them setting but no matter how, I set them, I can change the payload and the fairings still change unless, I'm just missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

not quite the correct thread, but at least it's the same author and a related mod:

regarding the ckan-installable mod "procedural fairings - auto-shroud remover" v1.0: this package contains also a config which removes (without mentioning it in the ckan description) the remote-tech "ModuleSPU" from all command modules including probe cores, which in turn gives all probes local control capability, basically breaking remote tech

not quite the correct thread, but at least it's the same author and a related mod:

regarding the ckan-installable mod "procedural fairings - auto-shroud remover" v1.0: this package contains also a config which removes (without mentioning it in the ckan description) the remote-tech "ModuleSPU" from all command modules including probe cores, which in turn gives all probes local control capability, basically breaking remote tech

Yeah, that's been fixed, in theory. Unfortunately, the auto-shroud remover (functional one) has other issues, so it should probably be removed from CKAN until I figure out how to do it better.

On the RemoteTech thing, it's not really breaking remotetech, but limiting what it limits. It is intended for another mod I have on CKAN (RemoteTech-Probe Control Enabler), but both installed the same file. It's for people who want the data transmission link requirement, but not the probe control link requirement.

Edited by Felger

• 2 weeks later...

A question. I am using this to change Squad and VSR fairing bases. I don't want any of the new textures though. I tried deleting the textures, but the fairings are still known in the VAB. How can I remove everything else than the stock PF fairings?

• 2 weeks later...
A question. I am using this to change Squad and VSR fairing bases. I don't want any of the new textures though. I tried deleting the textures, but the fairings are still known in the VAB. How can I remove everything else than the stock PF fairings?

Delete the 0_sidefairings.cfg, all the side_xyz.cfg, and the Textures folder.

Hello. First, thanks for your mod.

Second : I'm using your mod and I've a problem with the last version. In my last save, I still have a fairing base attached (KzResizableFairingBaseRing) to my satellites. With the new version, it disappear when I load the satellite to fly it,

and everything attached to it without another link to the command module cldisappear with it (so my fuel tank and my engine). Do you know what happens, and how I could avoid it? Thanks.

Hello. First, thanks for your mod.

Second : I'm using your mod and I've a problem with the last version. In my last save, I still have a fairing base attached (KzResizableFairingBaseRing) to my satellites. With the new version, it disappear when I load the satellite to fly it,

and everything attached to it without another link to the command module cldisappear with it (so my fuel tank and my engine). Do you know what happens, and how I could avoid it? Thanks.

Yep, it's a bug, download the version I just posted to github, 0.1

• 2 months later...

Two months and 10 days later...

Hey everyone.

I'm having some issues with fairings and overheating, because when i spawn any vehicle with the fairings, they immediately overheat and explode, and idk why.

Idk if its something with infernal robotics or part clipping but they just overheat asap and i don't want to turn on ignore overheating cheat because of the part color and temp. overlay.

• 4 weeks later...
Just here to note that fairings work fine in 1.0.5 and thanks to new thermal fixes, fairing bases stopped to explode.
However I have another issue - fairing bases works as decouplers just fine, but [I]interstaging [/I] fairing bases don't decouple despite the fact they showed in staging diagram.
Something needs to be fixed (in PF mod itself may be) - decoupler shold be working OR interstage farings should not be indicated as decouplers...

As workaround I add another decoupler on top of interstage fairng base and disable staging icon for fairing base itself (thank to new tweakable in 1.0.5)

• 1 month later...

One word to describe why this is awesome: Boat tails. Okay, that's two words. :D

I love Procedural Fairings for their utility, but they were always missing the classic boattail bottom that stayed with the upper stage for the Delta IV and Atlas look. Now I can use KW bases and rock on. Thanks, guys!

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Is it possible to have custom profiles for fairings? I seem to recall there was a fairing that forced the Proton's biconic/two-tier style fairing. Out of curiosity.

You would changes this to what you want

noseHeightRatio=3.5
       baseConeShape=0.1, 1.0, 0, 0.7
       noseConeShape=0.1, 0, 0.7, 0.667
       baseConeSegments=3
       noseConeSegments=11

7 hours ago, MeCripp said:

You would changes this to what you want

noseHeightRatio=3.5
       baseConeShape=0.1, 1.0, 0, 0.7
       noseConeShape=0.1, 0, 0.7, 0.667
       baseConeSegments=3
       noseConeSegments=11

Very interesting...

Expect some interesting fairings in the future... EDIT:  can you explain what each value does?

Edited by CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolfthese are definitions for bezier curves and relative lengths.

noseHeightRatio:  Defines the length ratio between the main (usually straight) section of the fairing and the rounded/conic section. Example: 1 would mean that a fairing 2 m in legth would have a 1 m payload section and 1 m nose.
baseConeShape:    Defines a bezier curve for the fairing base (where the fairing meets the base).
noseConeShape:    Defines a bezier curve for the fairing nose (where the fairing closes).
baseConeSegments: Defines the smoothness of the base fairing section (i believe). Usually no editing is required.
noseConeSegments: Defines the smoothness of the nose fairing section (i believe). Usually no editing is required.

The bezier curves can be visualized by using this tool.

3 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@CobaltWolfthese are definitions for bezier curves and relative lengths.

noseHeightRatio:  Defines the length ratio between the main (usually straight) section of the fairing and the rounded/conic section. Example: 1 would mean that a fairing 2 m in legth would have a 1 m payload section and 1 m nose.
baseConeShape:    Defines a bezier curve for the fairing base (where the fairing meets the base).
noseConeShape:    Defines a bezier curve for the fairing nose (where the fairing closes).
baseConeSegments: Defines the smoothness of the base fairing section (i believe). Usually no editing is required.
noseConeSegments: Defines the smoothness of the nose fairing section (i believe). Usually no editing is required.

The bezier curves can be visualized by using this tool.

Awesome, thanks!

True, a blank texture with denoted borders (say, where the edge texture or boattail ends) would be immensely useful. Unfortunately I haven't yet managed to track one down :P

@Felger, since there is a lack of darker texture options, if it won't cause too much bloat, maybe this one of mine could make its way into the pack? It's certainly amateurish, but I figure it should come in handy as an interstage at least (plus the bump map takes up less memory now) :) There's another updated one, but its niche is already sorta filled.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.