[1.0.4] Q Orbital Systems [Pressurized Modules, Docking Antennae, and Stockalike Orion Capsule]

• 3 weeks later...
Love this mod so far, do u plan on making the periscope on the soyuz?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/w2gK4.jpg

I'd love to. Shouldn't be too difficult. I'd like to build in a decoupler so it can be jettisoned during reentry.

Looks like some great parts!

Does the "thimble" get in the way of decouplers mounted below the service module?

Not in my experience with it. To place it, you have to use the tweak nodes to move it around a bit. If you place it like I have in my photos, it should work.

Love this mod so far, do u plan on making the periscope on the soyuz?
I'd love to. Shouldn't be too difficult. I'd like to build in a decoupler so it can be jettisoned during reentry.

Predictably, I would love to see this! I would be willing to try my hand at making it a useful camera for RPM as well, since that is my selfish reason for wanting the part. :)

Predictably, I would love to see this! I would be willing to try my hand at making it a useful camera for RPM as well, since that is my selfish reason for wanting the part. :)

I've been playing around with part making for exactly that reason. I've felt that some kind of "Remote Imager" camera part was sorely lacking as a 'science experiment' part to attach on a probe.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Orion Stockalike: (Working on a proper name... Suggestions welcome.)

So, I got sidetracked from the Soyuz periscope, and have begun work on a stock alike Orion capsule. I've been frustrated with the lack of nice exploration capsules. There are some Orion capsule out there, but they're too real, too RAM hungry, or just not finished. I've taken matters into my own hands.

JPEkJ7cl.png4AsJRR6l.png

CkfKCqxl.png

Design Goals:

• PorkJettian Stock aesthetics: Hoping to match some of the plane parts in terms of style. I'm unsure if I'll texture the backshell with a tiled look, or a larger paneled look.

• Shape and model simplification: Small details will be omitted due to my inexperience.

• Standard-ish node sizes: As it stands, the capsule will be 3.0m at it's base, and 0.9375m at it's docking tunnel. Don't freak out. There are some clever tricks I've used to make it work with stock parts. Fear not.

• Seats for 5 Kerbonauts:I could cram more Kerbals in there, but for the moment, I'm going with 5. There will be two Kerbals at the main panels behind the observation windows, and 3 below riding below. IVA building, here I come.

• Built in RCS: No idea how I'm going to do this. First iteration will not feature RCS, that's for sure.

• Lighted windows: Easy-peesy. Can do it in my sleep.

• Flag Decals: Self explanatory.

• Other stuff: I'm not sure if I'll be doing the service module, LAS, etc. I may just make a TweakScale config for sumghai's SDHI add-on, and direct users towards that add-on. It should looks about right. TBD.

On a helpful aside, does anyone know if the International Docking Adapter jettisons with the forward bay cover? I can't find an answer online. I know that it has a deployed and a retracted state, but in order for the capsule to be reusable, I assume that the docking ring has to be able to survive a little sea water splashing onto it. This will help me with how the forward bay cover will attach. The idea is that you can pack all the chutes and stuff you want in there, and then ditch the cover when you want chutes.

Temporary textures are courtesty of Beale's texture repo. This will change eventually. The Orion capsule will be independent and stand-alone hopefully.

Edited by curtquarquesso

So, I got sidetracked from the Soyuz periscope, and have begun work on a stock alike Orion capsule. I've been frustrated with the lack of nice exploration capsules. There are some Orion capsule out there, but they're too real, too RAM hungry, or just not finished. I've taken matters into my own hands.

http://i.imgur.com/JPEkJ7cl.png

http://i.imgur.com/4AsJRR6l.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/CkfKCqxl.png

Design Goals:

• PorkJettian Stock aesthetics: Hoping to match some of the plane parts in terms of style. I'm unsure if I'll texture the backshell with a tiled look, or a larger paneled look.

• Shape and model simplification: Small details will be omitted due to my inexperience.

• Standard-ish node sizes: As it stands, the capsule will be 3.0m at it's base, and 0.9375m at it's docking tunnel. Don't freak out. There are some clever tricks I've used to make it work with stock parts. Fear not.

• Seats for 5 Kerbonauts: I could cram more Kerbals in there, but for the moment, I'm going with 5. There will be two Kerbals at the main panels behind the observation windows, and 3 below riding below. IVA building, here I come.

• Built in RCS: No idea how I'm going to do this. First iteration will not feature RCS, that's for sure.

• Lighted windows: Easy-peesy. Can do it in my sleep.

• Flag Decals: Self explanatory.

• Other stuff: I'm not sure if I'll be doing the service module, LAS, etc. I may just make a TweakScale config for sunghai's SDHI add-on, and direct users towards that add-on. It should looks about right. TBD.

On a helpful aside, does anyone know if the International Docking Adapter jettisons with the forward bay cover? I can't find an answer online. I know that it has a deployed and a retracted state, but in order for the capsule to be reusable, I assume that the docking ring has to be able to survive a little sea water splashing onto it. This will help me with how the forward bay cover will attach. The idea is that you can pack all the chutes and stuff you want in there, and then ditch the cover when you want chutes.

Temporary textures are courtesty of Beale's texture repo. This will change eventually. The Orion capsule will be independent and stand-alone hopefully.

Oh that is awfully pretty!

Amazing work!

I really enjoy how you have "stockified" the windows. It can sit very well with Mk1-2 pod (or even better, replace it!).

I'd love to if I had a clue as to how. Baby steps. I won't release it without an IVA. Promise. :)

No worries and no rush I just want to help devs be aware of a wonderful resource before committing time that they may save. So just hearing you would consider it is all I ask. Thanks :)

Yes... I like this.

Name: If you want a bit of irony, you can name it Scorpio, the mythological beast that killed Orion, and is also a constellation, but appears in the sky during summer instead of winter (maybe the other way around). According to the story I was told years ago, Orion and Scorpio appear at different times to avoid them getting into a fight and killing each other again.

RCS: What if you put the RCS in the parachute, like Beale's Gemini? All you really need are till thrusters, maybe pitch and yaw, but it's not necessary. Translation is not necessary either, the Service Module can do that, and you don't need translation control during reentry anyway.

Service Module: What type of solar panels are you planning on adding, the original round ones or the newer ATV style panels? Will the engine run on LFO/OX or monopropellant?

Name: If you want a bit of irony, you can name it Scorpio, the mythological beast that killed Orion, and is also a constellation, but appears in the sky during summer instead of winter (maybe the other way around). According to the story I was told years ago, Orion and Scorpio appear at different times to avoid them getting into a fight and killing each other again.

This. This please. So much this. Or "Serket".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.