[1.0.4] Q Orbital Systems [Pressurized Modules, Docking Antennae, and Stockalike Orion Capsule]

4yE9SEW.png

This is an early, EARLY development thread for what I'm calling "Q Orbital Systems."

I'm a complete modding newb, and am still learning, so this is more for my own development as a competent mod author at the moment, than it is for other people to enjoy currently. The goal is to make basic parts that I want, but can't seem to find from other parts packs.

Aesthetically, they'll be complementary of stock parts, as well as parts from Beale's Tantares parts pack. The latest release use Beale's open source textures from his parts pack.

Pre Release 1.0!

Goals:

• MPLM/PMM
  • Tantares Expansion Parts
  • Buran aft section for Mk.3 parts.
  • ASTP Docking Module
  • Various greeble bits
  • Eyes Turned Skywards Parts

a22JAwHl.png

qboHqpW.png

4ln0NKT.gif

OYY2uYR.png

kPWDI4J.png

Version History:

Pre Release 1.0
• Initial release.
• T-HAB and VE-Z “Thimbleâ€Â
• Missing agency support

Dependencies:

• Tantares 30

• KSP 1.0.4

Q Orbital Sciences is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0

International License.

I would especially like to thank Beale, and gooddog15. They've been extremely helpful to a newcomer to add-on creation like myself.

Edited by curtquarquesso

These already look awesome! Can't wait for a DL so everyone can play with what look to be some excellent parts. :)

(EDIT - Plus more fodder for my Non-Replica Repository... Which your parts are now accepted in when you release them ;) )

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

Looks like wonderful stuff! Docking light especially.

Still unsure if I should make my parts dependent on his textures. I like RAM-free parts. TBD.

Might be best to use your own textures to keep things modular.

But, it's your decision to make :)

Edit: Of course I mean you are free to use, re-use edit and re-distribute Tantares textures as your own if you are wanting to do that either (Texture repo totally open source)

Edited by Beale

Oh, my! I'm very proud of you, buddy! I feel this is going to develop into a must have alongside with Tantares!

And I'm sure you've done the bread lord proud too!

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F25%2Fshialabeouf.gif

Have you considered a PMA? By the looks of it you're a natural at that whole modeling thing!

Edited by VenomousRequiem

These already look awesome! Can't wait for a DL so everyone can play with what look to be some excellent parts. :)

(EDIT - Plus more fodder for my Non-Replica Repository... Which your parts are now accepted in when you release them ;) )

Nice stuff, promising ! :D I'm looking forward !
*appears out of thin air in a flash of white light* Did somebody say Q? Anyway' date=' joking aside. I too be looking forward where this goes. :)[/quote']
Very nice. Looks like you are off to a good start. Will be watching this thread.
Oh, my! I'm very proud of you, buddy! I feel this is going to develop into a must have alongside with Tantares!

http://pedestriantv-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F25%2Fshialabeouf.gif

Have you considered a PMA? By the looks of it you're a natural at that whole modeling thing!

Looks great! Good luck, komrade! :3
Aw yeah, can't wait to have that nice MLPM for building an ISS!

Thanks for all the interest! Glad to know that I'm making half-way decent stuff.

After thinking a bit, I think I'm mainly going to focus on small parts, with few things to screw up. Likely greebly-bits for spacecraft to make them look more interesting. cxg2827 recently did some really nice CBM and PMM stuff, and knocked the look out of the park, so I feel less motivated to do that stuff now that it's out there an available, and looks good. I'll likely finish the "Bernoulli Logistics Module" (MPLM/PMM), but I feel like if I make station parts, I need more experience, and I need to go big or go home. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and I don't want to be just "another stockalike station parts" mod. We've got a lot of those.

Hinge on the Soyuz IGLA Antenna got an update. Much better hinge. Trying to get the collider to stick out enough to make attaching it and manipulating it easier. The collider on the back of Beale's Soyuz engine isn't totally flat, so it's a bit of a trick. Just takes some tinkering. Animation was also improved and looks better played in reverse.

jGnogy0l.png

Next up will be the Soyuz docking window, and the alternate IGLA antenna for the front of your spacecraft with a more complex boom arm.

This is where I could use some modeling help.

IsNjLRcl.png

I've got two objects. The window glass cylinder (red), and the rounded hump that it sticks into. (green) I need to join them together, and make them one object. I don't think Wings3D does boolean operations. Anyone know how to connect the vertices of these two objects logically? I can't find a good tutorial. Could I export to Blender and have an easier time of it?

The part will be surface attachable, and should complement the Tantares Soyuz fairly nicely.

I'm also thinking about putting a shutter on the window, and having it act as a science experiment, like an observation window. Thoughts?

Edit: Of course I mean you are free to use, re-use edit and re-distribute Tantares textures as your own if you are wanting to do that either (Texture repo totally open source)

I think what I may do is this:

1st pack I release will be meant to be used with Tantares, and will utilize the texture repo for RAM-free parts. This will give me practice mapping things, and also forestalls my own mediocre texturing skills for a bit. The goal will be to do stuff you don't really want to do, or feel like doing. I don't want to encroach on Tantares in any way. This should be weird extra parts by a Tantares user, for Tantares users. Plain and simple.

2nd pack will be parts of my own original design and texturing, like the Bernoulli. I just have no clue what those parts will be at the moment. (Besides the Bernoulli.) I want to do stuff that's not been done a million times before. I've been talking to other mod authors around, and I have some ideas, but nothing concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice stuff, promising ! :D I'm looking forward !
*appears out of thin air in a flash of white light* Did somebody say Q? Anyway' date=' joking aside. I too be looking forward where this goes. :)[/quote']
Very nice. Looks like you are off to a good start. Will be watching this thread.

http://pedestriantv-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F25%2Fshialabeouf.gif

Looks great! Good luck, komrade! :3
Aw yeah, can't wait to have that nice MLPM for building an ISS!

Thanks for all the interest! Glad to know that I'm making half-way decent stuff.

After thinking a bit, I think I'm mainly going to focus on small parts, with few things to screw up. Likely greebly-bits for spacecraft to make them look more interesting. cxg2827 recently did some really nice CBM and PMM stuff, and knocked the look out of the park, so I feel less motivated to do that stuff now that it's out there an available, and looks good. I'll likely finish the "Bernoulli Logistics Module" (MPLM/PMM), but I feel like if I make station parts, I need more experience, and I need to go big or go home. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and I don't want to be just "another stockalike station parts" mod. We've got a lot of those.

Hinge on the Soyuz IGLA Antenna got an update. Much better hinge. Trying to get the collider to stick out enough to make attaching it and manipulating it easier. The collider on the back of Beale's Soyuz engine isn't totally flat, so it's a bit of a trick. Just takes some tinkering. Animation was also improved and looks better played in reverse.

jGnogy0l.png

Next up will be the Soyuz docking window, and the alternate IGLA antenna for the front of your spacecraft with a more complex boom arm.

This is where I could use some modeling help.

IsNjLRcl.png

I've got two objects. The window glass cylinder (red), and the rounded hump that it sticks into. (green) I need to join them together, and make them one object. I don't think Wings3D does boolean operations. Anyone know how to connect the vertices of these two objects logically? I can't find a good tutorial. Could I export to Blender and have an easier time of it?

The part will be surface attachable, and should complement the Tantares Soyuz fairly nicely.

I'm also thinking about putting a shutter on the window, and having it act as a science experiment, like an observation window. Thoughts?

I think what I may do is this:

1st pack I release will be meant to be used with Tantares, and will utilize the texture repo for RAM-free parts. This will give me practice mapping things, and also forestalls my own mediocre texturing skills for a bit. The goal will be to do stuff you don't really want to do, or feel like doing. I don't want to encroach on Tantares in any way. This should be weird extra parts by a Tantares user, for Tantares users. Plain and simple. (PLEASE let me know if this in ANY WAY undesirable, or unwanted.)

2nd pack will be parts of my own original design and texturing, like the Bernoulli. I just have no clue what those parts will be at the moment. (Besides the Bernoulli.) I want to do stuff that's not been done a million times before. I've been talking to other mod authors around, and I have some ideas, but nothing concrete.

http://i.imgur.com/IsNjLRcl.png

Don't need to join them, just combine the objects - IIRC when combined they are not rendered in separate draw calls and therefore no or (undetectable) performance loss.

And, Wings3D can do boolean operations, via plugins (though yeah it is a shame it doesn't do them by default), look up Wings3D MLAB version if you want to do those :)

78c72bc105.png

2fd168af75.png

There are other ways of connecting those two vertex to vertex without using boolean operations, but it's a long and slightly awkward process (It's how I do IVA windows), PM and I'll explain it if you need.

Edited by Beale

Don't need to join them, just combine the objects - IIRC when combined they are not rendered in separate draw calls and therefore no or (undetectable) performance loss.

And, Wings3D can do boolean operations, via plugins (though yeah it is a shame it doesn't do them by default), look up Wings3D MLAB version if you want to do those :)

http://puu.sh/iECZG/78c72bc105.png

http://puu.sh/iED0m/2fd168af75.png

There are other ways of connecting those two vertex to vertex without using boolean operations, but it's a long and slightly awkward process (It's how I do IVA windows), PM and I'll explain it if you need.

Well, I thought I had the right plugin, but I didn't. I talk to the developer of MLAB, and he doesn't have an OS X version lying around. Where did you get yours?

I managed to forgo the boolean on the window lens. Too much work for now. Here's the textured final product in Unity I REALLY like the way it came out. Wonder who did those wonderful textures, huh? ;)

KbO3An2m.pngKuXEmQmm.pngaFfgN9Rm.png

0KQopbSm.jpg

I think I'll make it a science part for very minimal science points. It'll serve as an observation window. Taking an observation from it will yield a little bit of science. The window will also illuminate. Not sure whether it'll just be emissive, or function as a docking light. Suggestions?

Next step will be reworking the Bernoulli module. I'll be making it fit the nice docking ports from CxAerospace. The style will hopefully be compatible with both his parts, stock, and Tantares. I think the next part for it could be a truss attachment for it that will turn it into an ESA Columbus module. It'll attach to the aft node.

148762main_exterior.jpg

I think I may put some nodes on that to attach KIS storage containers to. We'll see.

Progress! (Ehrm, I mean, Soyuz.)

f4YeyvN.png

62kLjVV.png

1. I may loose the white stripe. It conflicts oddly with the Orbital module. Plus, it'll make it look more normal when used with other parts besides Tantares parts.

2. Might reduce the scale by a bit. Unsure. I want the bottom to be 0.625m.

3. Emissives aren't currently working. Having trouble with how the hierarchy should go for the part to appear.

Feedback? :D

1. I may loose the white stripe. It conflicts oddly with the Orbital module. Plus, it'll make it look more normal when used with other parts besides Tantares parts.

2. Might reduce the scale by a bit. Unsure. I want the bottom to be 0.625m.

3. Emissives aren't currently working. Having trouble with how the hierarchy should go for the part to appear.

Feedback? :D

Right for removing the tiny stripe, for the scale I like it I think it's not necessary to reduce it :) I love this small part keep going!

--------------------------------- update

Idea, why not put the stripe in the other way to correspond with the orbital module why not ? :P

Edited by Herr Rictus Bingo

These are really coming along nicely! I can honestly say the docking window and new antenna will be used on every Soyuz and manned Soyuz-derived craft I build.

Pliz Pliz Pliz: I need them, both the window and the igla for my Tantares!

In any state they are already, pliz give me a download!

(See my sig to understand why I could need them, when I'll revamp my MIR program)

Pliz Pliz Pliz: I need them, both the window and the igla for my Tantares!

In any state they are already, pliz give me a download!

(See my sig to understand why I could need them, when I'll revamp my MIR program)

I'll do a release later tonday. Currently, there are just two parts, so there's not much to it. Bernoulli isn't getting released until I revamp it.

Good timing! You don't have to wait long at all!

Pre Release 1.0!

jA3v3Lzl.png

How the "Thimble" is supposed to be attached and stowed:

qAQZCmTl.png

Deployed:

Ja8SFlxl.png

T-HAB in action. Show me how many neat uses you can find for it!

DYlsNIVl.png

Next up will be the alternate antenna meant for front mounting, and the Bernoulli PMM. Stay tuned. :)

Edited by curtquarquesso

Good timing! You don't have to wait long at all!

Pre Release 1.0!

http://i.imgur.com/jA3v3Lzl.png

How the "Thimble" is supposed to be attached and stowed:

http://i.imgur.com/qAQZCmTl.png

Deployed:

http://i.imgur.com/Ja8SFlxl.png

T-HAB in action. Show me how many neat uses you can find for it!

http://i.imgur.com/DYlsNIVl.png

Next up will be the alternate antenna meant for front mounting, and the Bernoulli PMM. Stay tuned. :)

Hey ! I'm going to test that, amazing work ! :)

Edited by Herr Rictus Bingo

Hey curt it's been a while, I was passive on the forum those past days, it's great to see your modelling :) and you are doing it right, these are useful and great stuff to greeble I see ! I especially love the thimble, so let's give it a try.

And you got my rep for all your work of course :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.