What do you HATE about KSP?

rokr

12 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

But KSP isn't multiplayer or subscription based

True, I realised that post posting.

But I still play Simcity4, Civ IV and of course NetHack :wink:

(and X-Plane and FsX, but that's because I'm a plane-nerd).

Edited by Curveball Anders

28 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

True, I realised that post posting.

But I still play Simcity4, Civ IV and of course NetHack :wink:

(and X-Plane and FsX, but that's because I'm a plane-nerd).

- Missing an ASCII / ANSI console (as in xterm terminal) version of the game. :P

Edited by lodger
typoooo

On 26. červenec 2016 at 10:50 AM, Blaarkies said:

To be fair, how many games do we play for more than 4 years? Nostalgia aside, those will never die...but somehow after a lifetime of gaming, KSP has managed to get into the nostalgia list, despite its shortcomings.

When Skyrim was still popular 4 years after release, it was considered an awesome success...but no dev team can ever keep pumping out new updates to keep the veterans busy.
I mean to say, a game with 200 hours of unique gameplay is truly fantastic...KSP definitely beats that. Adding new planets every few years is like a game called "KSP Infinite"

I didn't say I played it for 4 years (although I do have a few hundred hours in KSP :blush:). Anyway, I agree with you but my disappointment stems from the fact that devs hinted at new planets (GP2) a long time ago and never explicitly said that there'll be none (at least in the next few years). This sneaky, long term kind of hype is the worst.

3 hours ago, theend3r said:

I didn't say I played it for 4 years (although I do have a few hundred hours in KSP :blush:). Anyway, I agree with you but my disappointment stems from the fact that devs hinted at new planets (GP2) a long time ago and never explicitly said that there'll be none (at least in the next few years). This sneaky, long term kind of hype is the worst.

Oh sorry I didn't mean it like that, I only started playing in 2014 myself("First Contract" update if I remember correctly). My point is that, players of Skyrim wouldn't expect Bethesda to add new content and places to explore with free updates...the DLC's however is another story. I would be willing to pay for updates with extra planets and stuff, since KSP is already post-release(except for the damn wheels).

The long term hype thing...that is the worst, I hate misinformation! (Hey, look! I found something to hate about KSP :D)

I may have already commented this before, but GAME STABILITY!

The game has come out, regular bugs and crashes aren't acceptable any more.

The Alpha and Beta stages were the time to add huge features for players to experiment with. Now the game is out, features can still be added, of course, but they should be tested very thoroughly. I'd rather have a stable game without some features than a broken game with many.

In fact, I haven't played a proper career mode game in a while, because I know that something might go wrong, and I'll lose all the time I invested.

The whiners.

You think it's got bugs?  I actually remember the alpha...

You think you can do perfect?  In the wake of a major engine and architecture change?  I invite you to try.

Edited by Corona688

2 hours ago, Corona688 said:

The whiners.

You think it's got bugs?  I actually remember the alpha...

You think you can do perfect?  In the wake of a major engine and architecture change?  I invite you to try.

First, my hate began in the VAB GUI and remains in the VAB GUI (and spaceplane GUI as well, but I don't make many of them).  When HarvestR announced that he was fixing the GUI, I had great hopes.  Alas, he "only" worked on the in-space GUI (which *is* vastly improved), but didn't get to the issues that makes it a crap shoot between building your rocket and tearing it apart.

I think a lot of the issues people are now whining about came from people pushing unity 5.3 (well, unity is shipping 5.3, not sure which KSP uses), expecting all the lag to magically disappear.  Oddly enough, a lot *did* disappear (and the game can even be played on 8 1.2GHz bobcat CPUs (i.e. PS4/XB1), don't even think about it with KSP <1.1) which was a lot more than I was hoping for (and I run on an "8 core" AMD job.  Not exactly a single thread beast).  I'm willing to believe that all these new bugs can be directly traceable to either the changes in unity itself or the changes made in the code to adapt to changes in unity.  KSP just wasn't ready.  Note: I can't say I've even noticed crashing in 1.1.  I think I'd prefer crashing to what I've run into: saves that turn into insta-destruction (that were fine in the playthrough while saving), mysterious phantom torques that prevent docking, complete removal of critical bits of spacecraft (typically involving the command chair.  Don't save in vehicles with a kerbal in the command chair), failure to display one of the spacecraft while docking (I think it was the one I was piloting.  If I could see the intercept (and the time/distance) I could dock, but I can't recommend the procedure).  I think those last two may have been leftover from 1.0.x)

The other issues that get me are career mode.  KSP is basically a sandbox game with a career mode tacked on.  It feels natural it should have a career mode, but every change to sandbox throws huge wrenches into career, and career isn't all that good to begin with.  I suspect that HarvesterR left because he got the sandbox to as far as his wildest vision could see (well, at least what he knew he and Squad could code) and knew he had to leave career for another.  Unfortunately for his replacement, sandbox was never really designed with career in mind, so trying to shoehorn such a thing will be tough (although I assume this is common for "single player mode" in fps shooters).  I'd suggest digging deep into the KSP community "campaigns" of old (disclosure, I started with them and found them ideal for learning KSP).  Career mode forces you into artificially limiting* situations, while if you can't be bothered with a campaign's "nuke the koviets" (some sort of probe to hit another continent), there was nothing stopping you from going straight to the Mun (or better yet, Minmus.  Career shouldn't be so insistent on Mun first).

Summary:

I have a burning hate for the VAB GUI and suspect that it will remain for as long as I play KSP.

Unity and working around unity should eventually remove a lot of bugs.

Career mode should get better, but don't hold out for any "quick fixes".  I suspect that at some point they will have to declare sandbox "done" to really make career work.  And most of sandboxes issues now appear to be bugs, not lack of features.

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

Career mode should get better, but don't hold out for any "quick fixes".  I suspect that at some point they will have to declare sandbox "done" to really make career work.  And most of sandboxes issues now appear to be bugs, not lack of features.

In what way is sandbox not "done"?  It's the mode where you can do anything you could in career mode, just without tech or money restrictions.

33 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

In what way is sandbox not "done"?  It's the mode where you can do anything you could in career mode, just without tech or money restrictions.

Are you claiming nothing changed between 1.0 and 1.1?  Every time they add a part or change a calculation they are meddling with the sandbox.  To me, career is just "sandbox with restrictions" (although that really isn't accurate in gameplay: sandbox won't tell you the value of recovered data and presumably other things players might be interested in.  I'd recommend playing career starting with an unlimited money supply and enough money to unlock the tech tree over playing "sandbox").

20 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Are you claiming nothing changed between 1.0 and 1.1?  Every time they add a part or change a calculation they are meddling with the sandbox.

You can't change one without changing the other, though.

The fact that after having sacrificed a lot of my few free hours to built just one launcher I will probably send it to the infinite and beyond just one time and NEVER use it again. Cause I will want to built and launch more and MOOORE rockets! (That I will use once too...)

What I hate about KSP..
1). There is not much to do once I land on a planet. It take like 20 sec to gather the research and plant the flag before I lift off and return home.
     I do however like the mission system now give you missions to go somewhere to example scan at location a-b-c but it still just feel like my journey wasent of much purpose. So much work to get there, so little to do.
     I like we now can mine ore and make fuel, that give a little more purpose of getting there.. However it take a very long time in career mode to unlock this things.
2): The research tree. I think it would be better if the solar panel and small engine was avaliable from the start so people more easy could create a ship that could go into orbit ( especially for new players ).
Also getting the large flat docking port should be avaliable more early in the game, as well as some better wheels for peoples airplanes. Lets face it the "cesna" airplane wheels are terrible.

3). I think the kerbal universe should be different everytime we start a new career game. Move the planets in random formations, and give them random physics... 
( however the mum and maybe minmus should always be the mum so new players can go somewhere. Maybe the best would be if the mum has minmus physics so people much more easy can get a good start and impression of the game ).

4): I kind of feel like the mission system is bugged... When i start a new game I always get allot of "non interesting" contracts that i cannot cancel since it cost me money.  And also why do I not get a chance to extend or even build a space station above kerbin.. I always get more contracts about building base on the mum/minmus ect. again and again.

Edited by Peder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.