How do I use nodes?

I believe thats what they are called...

I'm pretty good at making rockets, and complex structures but I cant fly them! I can barely get into LKO, but its terrible and uneven (I didnt use nodes). Trust me, I've watched alot of videos and I cant figure out how to make a node to tell help me get to the mun, or LKO. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

Thank you very much Cheers!

Edited by Gonzxor

After upgrading both the Tracking Station and Mission Control to level 2, you can create maneuver nodes by clicking on your blue orbit line in map mode. You can then use the controls that pop up to create a burn and see your modified trajectory appear as a dotted line in map view.

An explanation of the workings of maneuver nodes can be found at this page of the Wiki.

As you modify burn represented by the maneuver node, the trajectory shown in map view will change. Once the desired trajectory is achieved, time warp until shortly before the maneuver node and make the burn. Usually, this is timed so that half the burn occurs before the moment of the node and half after.

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

After upgrading both the Tracking Station and Mission Control to level 2, you can create maneuver nodes by clicking on your blue orbit line in map mode. You can then use the controls that pop up to create a burn and see your modified trajectory appear as a dotted line in map view.

An explanation of the workings of maneuver nodes can be found at this page of the Wiki.

As you modify burn represented by the maneuver node, the trajectory shown in map view will change. Once the desired trajectory is achieved, time warp until shortly before the maneuver node and make the burn. Usually, this is timed so that half the burn occurs before the moment of the node and half after.

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

Okie thank you, I will be sure to look into the wiki.

Maneuver nodes are planning tools for getting you from one orbit to another. They're not useful for launch or landing planning. You can play through the training scenario "To The Mun, Part 1" to get practical experience on using maneuver nodes without worrying about launch.

Firstly, if you're playing a Career game, you need to upgrade both Mission Control and the Tracking Station to level 2.

Then, go to the map screen by pressing M. You can see your rocket's current orbit drawn out in blue. Click on the orbit and a menu will pop up. Choose "Add Maneuver", and a circle with six handles sprouting from it will appear. There, you've defined WHEN you want a maneuver to occur.

You now click-and-drag on the handles to designate delta-V adjustments. The six symbols on the handles are the same as the symbols on your navball, and indicate acceleration in a given direction. I assume you know what the terms "prograde" and "retrograde" mean, so I won't go into further detail. Drag the handles out, taking note of how this changes the predicted orbit (the dotted orange line), until you've got it set how you want. There, you've defined HOW MUCH of a maneuver you're planning.

Now all that remains is to follow the plan. Aim your rocket at the dark blue symbol on the navball (if it's not visible, there's an arrow that will point in its direction), wait for the time of the node, and fire the engines until the delta-V bar reaches zero. Done correctly, your rocket's new orbit will match the planned orbit; click on the green (or red) button beside the delta-V bar to delete the node now that you've finished with it.

Maneuver nodes are planning tools for getting you from one orbit to another. They're not useful for launch or landing planning. You can play through the training scenario "To The Mun, Part 1" to get practical experience on using maneuver nodes without worrying about launch.

Firstly, if you're playing a Career game, you need to upgrade both Mission Control and the Tracking Station to level 2.

Then, go to the map screen by pressing M. You can see your rocket's current orbit drawn out in blue. Click on the orbit and a menu will pop up. Choose "Add Maneuver", and a circle with six handles sprouting from it will appear. There, you've defined WHEN you want a maneuver to occur.

You now click-and-drag on the handles to designate delta-V adjustments. The six symbols on the handles are the same as the symbols on your navball, and indicate acceleration in a given direction. I assume you know what the terms "prograde" and "retrograde" mean, so I won't go into further detail. Drag the handles out, taking note of how this changes the predicted orbit (the dotted orange line), until you've got it set how you want. There, you've defined HOW MUCH of a maneuver you're planning.

Now all that remains is to follow the plan. Aim your rocket at the dark blue symbol on the navball (if it's not visible, there's an arrow that will point in its direction), wait for the time of the node, and fire the engines until the delta-V bar reaches zero. Done correctly, your rocket's new orbit will match the planned orbit; click on the green (or red) button beside the delta-V bar to delete the node now that you've finished with it.

Thank you, I really appreciate the in-depth. I was kinda confused on what they are really supposed to do, and how to use them. It seems you have to use them if you want to get good orbits or deep space ^-^..Thanks again Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.