Can i make/upload a modpack (with the associated moder's permission)?

ChrisSpace

So here's an idea I am having. Right now we all have to download mods individually, a process that takes a long time and can have problems. My idea is that, with the permission of the associated mods' developers, I bundle multiple mods together into a modpack that requires only one download but brings everything from all the inside mods. When one of the mods updates I will update the modpack. Obviously, we all play this game slightly differently, so my modpack, if it becomes a real thing, may only be suited to certain types of players. So, is this possible, and how could I do it?

If you have their permissions, I don't see why not. Just check the licenses before you do that to be sure you are allowed to redistribute each mod.

That being said, i think you are putting yourself in for a lot of work.

It might make more sense to create a set of CKAN files, which can be used with the CKAN program to install a complete set of mods via CKAN. Admittedly this will only work with those mods which support/are supported by CKAN, and there are apparently a few mods out there which CKAN still has problems with. That being said (I think I like this phrase), I use CKAN to maintain my installs, and on my current game have 100 mods installed and updated by CKAN.

LGG

Between CKAN, KSP-AVC, and the incredible ease of mod installation in KSP, ModPacks are unnecessary, and just cause headaches for the mod developers.

You may want to look at how the previous modpack threads turned out btw ;)

Yeah, your best bet for a "modpack" right now is to use CKAN to install your required mods, and then just distribute your CKAN installed list.

If you feel like you need to tweak mods, create your your own mod with module manager configs and the like, and distribute that as a separate CKAN-managed mod that's included in your list.

To recap the other thread: the main problem would be versioning.

You're now hardwired to a specific version of that other mod. If it needs updating, you need to update your pack as well. Or if the other mod goes unsupported, you either need to drop it from your pack or take up support for it yourself (if you're allowed to...) in order for your mod pack not to become unsupported (and thus broken on new KSP versions or in combination with newer versions of other mods in your pack).

as to tools like ckan, I don't like them much, prefer to manually control what I install and when. Which would also be a problem with your pack, as I'd lose control over that. If I already have a version of a mod and you're shipping another version, you're liable to break my installation.

To add on the CKAN thing, don't know the current status, but when I tried a while back it was such a pain in the ass on OSX I just installed the mods manually. I'm not going through the whole homebrew install process only to find out it doesn't want to recognize my KSP install just to get some stuff I can just download and unzip...

Edited by ColourOfFire

To add on the CKAN thing, don't know the current status, but when I tried a while back it was such a pain in the ass on OSX I just installed the mods manually. I'm not going through the whole homebrew install process only to find out it doesn't want to recognize my KSP install just to get some stuff I can just download and unzip...

CKAN is working nicely on OSX now, you may want to try it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.