What engine shall I make next?

going to need some serious heat dissipation... The 2.5m nuclear engine from KW (or is it NF?) needs 12 of the biggest radiators out of the same pack to dissipate its heat during a 7 minute burn, and they glow red hot for like several hours after :)

going to need some serious heat dissipation... The 2.5m nuclear engine from KW (or is it NF?) needs 12 of the biggest radiators out of the same pack to dissipate its heat during a 7 minute burn, and they glow red hot for like several hours after :)

Well, we have the radiators now. :P

There's also mods for that. I might know of one. Somewhere.

I'd like to see a 0.625m "Swivel" engine, with a nice gimbal just like "Twitch" has, but radial parts cause lots of drag.

Also, a 3.75m Ion engine? (Yeah, crazy, right?)

Oooo! Thank you for all those suggestions! I'll try and do ALL of 'em! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Can I suggest a ISP variable engine like the Vista from Interstellar? It would be great for spaceplanes and landers.

I don't get what you mean. Do you mean an engine that can switch how powerful/efficient it is?

Well, we have the radiators now. :P

sure. 1 NERVA with 20 radiators. After a 7 minute burn 16 of them explode from overheating, the other 4 (and not the 4 furthest from the engine) are still at near background temperature...

Something weird going on with radiators...

It's a bit off to one side of what you have done, but a very small SRB, visually in 0.625 Tiny class, but in 1.25 Small class as far as any decoupler thinks, would go well with the Mk1 Capsule.

A model of Friendship 7 that shows the retro pack (A rather big pic). I'm a little doubtful about the colour scheme on the pack, it's from a CGI model

http://www.jrbassett.com/images/Mercury02.JPG

And this is a picture of the real thing showing the un-striped colouring I expected.

http://www.space.com/18129-project-mercury-retro-and-posigrade-package.html

Using a smaller-size motor produces an ugly wasp-waisted effect in KSP. This is something that could be produced for both sizes, usable as an apoapsis kick motor for Tiny-class probes as well as being a retro-pack.

I don't get what you mean. Do you mean an engine that can switch how powerful/efficient it is?

I mean an engine (possibly with enough thrust to can be used in atmosphere) that raise is ISP lowering the thrust, so that the lesser you raise the throttle the higher the ISP will be.

Engines that works in this way exists in real life, at least as project.

It's a bit off to one side of what you have done, but a very small SRB, visually in 0.625 Tiny class, but in 1.25 Small class as far as any decoupler thinks, would go well with the Mk1 Capsule.

A model of Friendship 7 that shows the retro pack (A rather big pic). I'm a little doubtful about the colour scheme on the pack, it's from a CGI model

http://www.jrbassett.com/images/Mercury02.JPG

And this is a picture of the real thing showing the un-striped colouring I expected.

http://www.space.com/18129-project-mercury-retro-and-posigrade-package.html

Using a smaller-size motor produces an ugly wasp-waisted effect in KSP. This is something that could be produced for both sizes, usable as an apoapsis kick motor for Tiny-class probes as well as being a retro-pack.

I can try that.

An air augmented rocket engine! It would have higher thrust and ISP the faster it goes, but inside an atmosphere. Outside of an atmosphere it would behave similar to a standard rocket.

They should be pretty heavy too. Intakes are heavy.

An air augmented rocket engine! It would have higher thrust and ISP the faster it goes, but inside an atmosphere. Outside of an atmosphere it would behave similar to a standard rocket.

They should be pretty heavy too. Intakes are heavy.

o_O Isn't that describing the RAPIER engine?

o_O Isn't that describing the RAPIER engine?

Well no, it uses LF, LOx, and IntakeAir while inside atmosphere. It gets an ISP+Thrust increase. Once IntakeAir runs out, it starts using LF and LOx to be a standard rocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.