Vertical Tower SSTOs

I'd like to know if anyone has successfully made any tower SSTOs in 1.0.4 yet. I mean SSTOs that look like rockets and take off vertically, but use jet engines. Back in 1.0.2 i made one that could bring 60 tons into orbit, but now it appears to be a lot harder.

I'd love to see your designs! :)

Still trying lol, spent all night trying to get an SSTO (vertical) up in orbit, but it always flips once I lose the side boosters and switch to main engine. I think I'm going to take the design I have (MK3 through and through) and try to create a space only ship that is pretty much complete at take off and will never be meant to land : p First I got to get this flipping issue handled when I switch to nuke engines. They have no gimble and I think my center of thrust is off causing it to flip instead of fly straight... Maybe I'll add 10 SAS or something lol.

Here's one I used:

SZW2ryb.png

And another by Riph:

GGatl9S.png

You have to mind the relative positions of aerodynamic center and mass center when tanks are full (ascent) and near-empty (descent). Those positions should be reversed between the two phases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.