KSP has officially landed me a job!

Ippo

My condolences. No, really, you'll find your free time reduced drastically and your KSP projects will begin collecting stellar dust.

This comes from a fellow software developer.

Eh, that happened a long ago. At least now I get payed to pursue my hobby :)

True, but video gaming is just becoming socially accepted. People normally associate(d) gaming with violent behavior and addiction. Well, of course many games are designed to be addictive. It's a double edged sword ;)

I do not think I know anyone who honestly thinks this and I would be surprised to find it a common conception, especially among the demographic that tends to populate software companies. Do not let inflated news items and the vocal minority fool you.

Also, any company that is represented by someone who is not only missing the valuable data presented to him (experience and passion for the job), but also adheres to dubious concepts and points of views might be a company you want to shy away from. Though possibly anecdotal, it might be indicative of what to expect within that company - and what not to expect. It might be better to look for greener pastures and companies that adhere to slightly less archaic views. Having a job is great, but being happy in one is rather important too.

Edited by Camacha

I was once upon a time a legal secretary but I got sick of being the company scapegoat and left for (hopefully) greener pastures in the IT industry.

KSP has made me a lot of friends during my first contract IT engineer job where I was the team lead and we had an infamous reputation for thinking up out of the box solutions to problems while other teams simply made themselves more and more unhappy with jealousy for the duration of a big multinational sports event we were supporting :)

I mean, we had a permanent terminal (my gaming laptop) running KSP while we met or exceeded all the management's expectations, talked like imaginary rocket scientists chanting TWR, dV and Hohmann transfer windows all day, I got to control and set the standard of IT services for not one but 2 other nearby sites as well... Who said work needed to be unhappiness if our superiors themselves were gamers?

Prospective and current employers were also a bit wow'ed at my mention of being a YouTube partner and having produced content for several YouTube channels - not surprising since this new and not-democratic-at-all country famously used to actively cull any sort of independent thought and creativity in junior school as recent as my generation.

And here I am actively rebelling against all that with a strategy of moar boosters while the creative director of my KSP channel is a young lady whose interest in science, technology and moar boosters made her autism into a razor sharp weapon of creativity she aptly used to get distinction in college for 4 semesters in a row.

Edited by pandoras kitten

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.