One Giant Leap.. into Windows 10

One-Way Films

Will you Voyage into Windows 10 for the good of KSP's community?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Will you Voyage into Windows 10 for the good of KSP's community?

• Yes, I'll follow. I'll die before someone installs the OS without proper knowledge.
    • No. I'll make sure everyone's alive and well when you Voyagers get back. God speed

I know a lot of you will not be updating to Windows 10 straight away. I will be. Not for pleasure, but for science. I'll report it's state to the Kerbal Space Community and to anyone who asks. If it's a bad OS, you can be guaranteed you'll hear me scream it out in this thread. Wish me luck!

P.S: for anyone who actually cares, I'll be installing it onto a USB stick (the OS is only 3GB.) My windows 7 install and my games and videos will be A-Okay.

I know a lot of you will not be updating to Windows 10 straight away. I will be. Not for pleasure, but for science. I'll report it's state to the Kerbal Space Community and to anyone who asks. If it's a bad OS, you can be guaranteed you'll hear me scream it out in this thread. Wish me luck!

P.S: for anyone who actually cares, I'll be installing it onto a USB stick (the OS is only 3GB.) My windows 7 install and my games and videos will be A-Okay.

Thank you for this! I will eagerly watch your progress with this. I think my PC will auto download it soon. I can then chose to install it or not.

It's a trap! My computer is way too old for Windows 10. I had to struggle in order to get everything work even in Windows 8, and I'm sure I would get serious compatibility errors in Windows 10.

I got my last PC just before the launch of Vista, so it came with a free upgrade disc to be shipped on launch. That disc still remains in its sealed box. I've reserved Windows 10 but I'll wait a while before installing it, in case it's another Vista. Windows 8.1 works well enough, except it can't run some of my ancient games. :( Hopefully 10 has a better compatibility mode.

I intend to ride windows 7 to the bitter end. It is the best OS since XP, and I plan on using it for the next decade. What need is there for win10? 7 works flawlessly.

I seem to recall a day when Steam informed me I could no longer play DOD (Day Of Defeat) because their requirements exceeded what WinXP could provide, and it refused to function further. And with that, I could no longer play DOD, not even local with my bots. That's the day I dumped Steam. I'm quite sure you'll be facing the same for Win7 someday.

I intend to ride windows 7 to the bitter end. It is the best OS since XP, and I plan on using it for the next decade. What need is there for win10? 7 works flawlessly.

Thou speaketh the truth.

Though I'll definitely run a version of it on my portable drive just to see what it does on my hardware (Nobody's told me I was wrong so far and I've heard win10 still isnt shipping with the beautiful translucent window frames that 7 has and since I have plenty of system resources, holding onto 7 here.)

I'm looking forward to Win 10 - in fact, I'm waiting for it to come out before I buy a new laptop*.

*I'm aware of the free upgrade offer available to legit Win 7 / 8.1 users, but I figured that since a new OS is coming out, I'd prefer to wait for newer laptop models with Win 10-specific drivers and other doodads to come out.

I just got a windows seven virtural machine for safety.

Granted, I am still under the bias that its a stupid OS for touchscreens and tablets so by all means enlighten me. I just want a desktop with a start bar at the bottom. I think the "tile" system I've seen is dumb.

EDIT: maybe im thinking of 8? perhaps I've not seen 10....

Installed Win10 on two virtual machines; funnily enough it worked significantly better and faster on the slower, AMD-based, hardware. Then again, the slower hardware was running Linux as the host OS instead of Windows 7.

Win10 still looks like a toy OS, with a lot of GUI design principles learned over the years tossed out by a new group of visual design artists. And takes 10GB to install. 10GB!! Ok, that may not be much when compared to the size of modern hard-drives, but SSD's are -still- expensive-ish. I seriously don't see why a brand-new OS install should take that much space which I would much rather use for applications and data. Especially given the incredibly primitive (and surprisingly slow) graphical interface. How bleeding hard is it to render flat shaded rectangles?

So yeah, thanks but no thanks; they will prise Win7 (for when I do have to use Windows) out of my cold dead hands, unless MS wakes up and releases an OS worthy of the name of "upgrade".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.