One Giant Leap.. into Windows 10

One-Way Films

Will you Voyage into Windows 10 for the good of KSP's community?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Will you Voyage into Windows 10 for the good of KSP's community?

• Yes, I'll follow. I'll die before someone installs the OS without proper knowledge.
    • No. I'll make sure everyone's alive and well when you Voyagers get back. God speed

Granted, I am still under the bias that its a stupid OS for touchscreens and tablets so by all means enlighten me. I just want a desktop with a start bar at the bottom. I think the "tile" system I've seen is dumb.

EDIT: maybe im thinking of 8? perhaps I've not seen 10....

windows-10-jan-15-hero-970-80.jpg

You can remove all of that Metro crap if you want and have it basically act as Window 7's Start.

Windows is up to 10 now? Wow, shows you how far out of that loop I've been. I haven't used Windows for anything serious since XP. It's not that I'm an anti-Windowist, I just happen to like Linux. I even designed a Linux distribution, which I used on routers and servers for probably ten years or so.

Windows is up to 10 now? Wow, shows you how far out of that loop I've been. I haven't used Windows for anything serious since XP. It's not that I'm an anti-Windowist, I just happen to like Linux. I even designed a Linux distribution, which I used on routers and servers for probably ten years or so.

They skipped 9 and went with 10, for many reasons, Nein, bad luck numbers, and old code in 3rd party applications.

Just remembered making this post a while ago regarding their... disoriented naming.

The marketing people at Microsoft must not be very good. I can think of some better names off the top of my head.

Windows X

The Wonderful Windows of Oz

Windows Norris

Iron Windows

SuperWindows

Windows: Ghostbusters Edition

Windex

To Windows and Beyond

Windows: The Next Generation

Windows: Return of the Jedi

BatWindowsMan

Not Windows 8 (It's their biggest selling point, after all.)

Doorways

Window: Bacon

57696e646f7773

Why hasn't Microsoft hired me yet?

And I just got used to Windows 8... Actually, all I want is a bork-safe OS, easy to troubleshoot without having to wrap my head around registry edits or whatnot, especially for an OS bork like me. :P

What I'm really pissed off is that one day, my Win8 suddenly decided to tell me "Please restart your computer to complete your install of Windows 8.1", which I can't recall ever approving its download, let alone install. And that led to three days of night(mares) as I scrambled driver installs that left the sound drivers, graphics card, and whatnot out of reach, leaving me with a lovely little Microsoft Word machine and little else (okay, maybe the integrated graphics were enough for some DOSbox games...).

Just remembered making this post a while ago regarding their... disoriented naming.

Why hasn't Microsoft hired me yet?

I think you forgot "I can't believe it's not iOS-influenced!" Though honestly, I've gotten used to Metro.

I intend to ride windows 7 to the bitter end. It is the best OS since XP, and I plan on using it for the next decade. What need is there for win10? 7 works flawlessly.

What, other than Microsoft stopping support for 7 within 2 years of 10 coming out in order to simplify their workload and make things easier to keep secure, and Win10 taking every last good bit of 7 and wearing them like cyber-meatpuppets? MS really went way out of their way to listen to people for once to make a better OS that actually fits what we need instead of what MS thought we needed.

Its most likely the last OS from Microsoft. <-- Proof. Why not learn something new? For instance Linux Has So much more diversity than windows.(Kinda like how the windows phone&Apple Have nothing on android. p.s Android is apart of Linux!!!) Also one downside is some distributions take more skill than others. I would say the hardest part switching to Linux is finding the "Perfect" Distribution for you. P.s Here are some linux distributions. https://goo.gl/r9WiRd

I'm starting to notice a lot of other software companies are jumping on the Win10 bandwagon... offers for downloads of their products which will specifically work with Win10. That's what this is all about - grabbing your $$$$$.

Think twice... maybe even three times.

The best reason to upgrade to 10 is to get rid of the abomination that was Windows 8. It basically reverts to Windows 7, but without the Aero bloat and the outdated "shine" look, and much better performance.

For those who stuck with Windows 7 to avoid the 8 fiasco, you can safely upgrade to 10 and enjoy a much leaner and faster OS.

It should go like any other OS upgrade…which is to say it's tough to say. In the past I've had some upgrades go smooth as silk, and others have been a complete disaster. My suggestion is a good hard look at what you can't afford to lose, and some network storage of some kind.

I recently had to install Windows 8.1 due to Hard Drive implosion. Going from a clean install, no driver disks, it was on and done in less than half an hour. I ended up only having to install one driver for a Marvell Raid adapter that I don't use. There was the slight cluster of having to flash my BIOS to get the memory to show up properly, but that was an issue with the motherboard being old, allegedly. Even that was easy, it was figuring out the problem that was the pain. Took most of the day.

Basically, compared to installing windows 95, it was a dream.

The best reason to upgrade to 10 is to get rid of the abomination that was Windows 8. It basically reverts to Windows 7, but without the Aero bloat and the outdated "shine" look, and much better performance.

For those who stuck with Windows 7 to avoid the 8 fiasco, you can safely upgrade to 10 and enjoy a much leaner and faster OS.

An abomination? The Start menu is a bit silly, but it's hardly an abomination. It still runs smoothly and stably.

Now Windows ME, there's an abomination...

An abomination? The Start menu is a bit silly, but it's hardly an abomination. It still runs smoothly and stably.

Now Windows ME, there's an abomination...

'ME' stood for 'Major Embarrassment', or so it was referred to at the time.

'ME' stood for 'Major Embarrassment', or so it was referred to at the time.
Oh my. They wanted to have an updated client OS out alongside Win2k and to bridge the (sales?) gap until XP. I never upgraded to it, stuck with Win98SE until XP came out.

I intend to ride windows 7 to the bitter end. It is the best OS since XP, and I plan on using it for the next decade. What need is there for win10? 7 works flawlessly.

Same here, but at some point I'll need yet another computer and Win7 is not sold anymore... With my 3 winXP machines as a testament, I didn't need 7 neither, but you just can't buy it anymore. Simple as that.

Same here, but at some point I'll need yet another computer and Win7 is not sold anymore... With my 3 winXP machines as a testament, I didn't need 7 neither, but you just can't buy it anymore. Simple as that.

You can still buy OEM copies an Newegg. Whether that's a good idea or not (the whole "updates" thing) is another issue.

I'm starting to notice a lot of other software companies are jumping on the Win10 bandwagon... offers for downloads of their products which will specifically work with Win10. That's what this is all about - grabbing your $$$$$.

Think twice... maybe even three times.

Yeah, how dare M$ release a free OS, those money-grubbing jerks!

Windows 10 is compatible with basically everything that worked with 7 and 8, and any scamming third parties are scamming third parties, leeches that are present anywhere.

Yeah, how dare M$ release a free OS, those money-grubbing jerks!

Windows 10 is compatible with basically everything that worked with 7 and 8, and any scamming third parties are scamming third parties, leeches that are present anywhere.

Not a free OS... as people will soon discover. Neither is MS known for backward compatibility.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.