Modular Computer Package Continued

micha030201

The external card holder is ideal for upgrading low class Probecores.

That's the purpose. :)

Also, maybe it's better to make a probe core chip, not the probe core Computer Core? So you would be able to land somwhere with a manned lander with radial chip storage, put a chip using KIS and make it unmanned lander... I think I'll make a poll.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really love this concept! :D

Any chance we could get a smaller version of the radial chip slot? Maybe even just a single chip version. Feels kind of silly having a tiny probe with a massive chip rack with only one chip...

A 0.625 in-line chip slot thing would be really cool too

I created a chip for Kerbal GPS (Figaro)....Worx nice... :)

EDIT: I also made one for the Protractor Continued mod...

Hmm..I think I'll try some of these next: Telemachus, Smart Parts, L-Tech Science Parts, PWB Fuel Balancer, KInstruments, LLL Lackluster Labs, RemoteTech Assist Calculator

micha030201, Thanx for keeping this mod going...Its nice that its so easy to add chip support for mods...

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@micha030201 Since this was hosted exclusively on KerbalStuff, which, unfortunately, has recently shutdown, any chance to get it rehosted on KS' replacement, SpaceDock.info

I would hate to see this mod disappear again... :(

@Stone Blue I'm not going to do that.. but here is a dropbox file of the last version seeing how this mod author hasn't been on the forum since the start of December.
License allows me to do this, although it has not followed the licensing of other mods that is has 'borrowed' from. eg: TST but never included the TST license in it either.

Edited by JPLRepo

Thanx @JPLRepo :)

Although on the license, the only issue might be with @bac9 's texture for the large core... But I thought that was already taken care of? There doesnt seem to be any code included in the mod, and other than the bac9 portion of the textures, I believe everything else is original work, so shouldnt be any need to license with any of the mods that this mod supports...

I've been dabbling in modelling a few KSP parts already, and have been thinking I wanted to try my hand at redoing both computer cores for this mod (for my own use...)... If I get the models done, maybe I'll try to contact micha, and see what their plans are for this, and if nothing, then maybe I'll see if I could take it over...

Edited by Stone Blue

7 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Thanx @JPLRepo :)

Although on the license, the only issue might be with @bac9 's texture for the large core... But I thought that was already taken care of? There doesnt seem to be any code included in the mod, and other than the bac9 portion of the textures, I believe everything else is original work, so shouldnt be any need to license with any of the mods that this mod supports...

I've been dabbling in modelling a few KSP parts already, and have been thinking I wanted to try my hand at redoing both computer cores for this mod (for my own use...)... If I get the models done, maybe I'll try to contact micha, and see what their plans are for this, and if nothing, then maybe I'll see if I could take it over...

All good, it's a minor technicality. It is only a config file using TSTScienceHardDrive module from TST mod. But it doesn't distribute the TST DLL.
Not sure of the license rules on that. I would have err'd on the side of caution and just included a reference anyway.
As an experience "continuer" of other author's mods. General rule I would think is wait 6 months... If nothing go for it. As long as the license allows and you follow those license rules and give credit should all be fine.

Edited by JPLRepo

Good point... If I ever was to do anything with this, I guess I'll double check all the configs to see if they are copied verbatim from the other mods or not...If so, I'd try contact the other authors just to cross the t's & dot the i's for permission...
They'll probably need significant changes made, at least, when 1.1 drops anyway, and could maybe just be re-written...

Thanx for the advice on picking up others' mods... I've updated a few mods' .cfgs already, and picked up Deadweasel's DeadSkins textures... Though I guess I DID jump the gun on that, and assumed Deadweasel wasnt around... :(
I DO consider the licenses as one of the first things I even consider before trying to modify a mod, though.. ;)

EDIT: Hahaha @JPLRepo  I know you, and that you have mods out (AmpYear), and I know the Tarsier mod, but I just realised YOU are the new Tarsier guy, too... lol :)

Edited by Stone Blue

11 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Good point... If I ever was to do anything with this, I guess I'll double check all the configs to see if they are copied verbatim from the other mods or not...If so, I'd try contact the other authors just to cross the t's & dot the i's for permission...
They'll probably need significant changes made, at least, when 1.1 drops anyway, and could maybe just be re-written...

I'd PM @@micha030201 and leave this here and wait and see what happens for several months. Keep checking their profile to see if they logon.
for AmpYear SodiumEyes had already passed on that anyone can take over, so that was ok.
TST - Tobyb121 never responded to my PMs and has logged on sometime middle of last year, but I've never heard from.
DeepFreeze - Scottpaladin eventually responded to my PMs and gave his blessing to take over.
But in all cases none of them had been online for over 6 months before I re-released them.

I'd say do your re-model of the parts, at least for yourself and wait and see.
As for having to re-do configs for 1.1. That's a wait and see game. I have a feeling Squad are not going to change the configs etc that much and they have said in devnotes and other threads they still backward support things. EG: MU files will still be supported even though they are being replaced with Unity packages.

Edited by JPLRepo

You should add more realism to this mod, etc. since the computer chips are sticking out, exposure to dust, and elements can damage them.

I don't think these chips can survive atmospheric reentry, when they're outside xD

Anyways, I like this mod alot!

Edited by Table

1 minute ago, Table said:

You should add more realism to this mod, etc. since the computer chips are sticking out, exposure to dust, and elements can damage them.

I don't think these chips can survive atmospheric reentry, when they're outside xD

Thats one reason I'm thinking about making new core models for myself.... These are NICELY done, and I could see as far as aesthetics go, using the existing models in cargo/service bays, but I'd like to try something a little different...(I have OCD, too)... Also, I'm thinking an even smaller core, for just two or three "chips"... (And thats another thing triggering my OCD... Between that, and my years of professionally building and repairing circuit boards, calling these "chips" instead of "boards" makes me cringe...lol)

7 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Thats one reason I'm thinking about making new core models for myself.... These are NICELY done, and I could see as far as aesthetics go, using the existing models in cargo/service bays, but I'd like to try something a little different...(I have OCD, too)... Also, I'm thinking an even smaller core, for just two or three "chips"... (And thats another thing triggering my OCD... Between that, and my years of professionally building and repairing circuit boards, calling these "chips" instead of "boards" makes me cringe...lol)

Given we now have service bays. I think they look good in service bays as-is. But if I think I know what you are thinking, you want to have one that is 'exposed' (radially attached outside the vessel) then you should re-model it to have a door on it to open/close. You can then re-write the config files for the boards so they burn up in atmospheres quite easily if they are outside a cargo bay or have their door open. All this you can do just creating new models and new config files using existing stock modules. While you are at it, you should look at what science experiments can be modularize onto a board from other mods, etc. And once you have done that, you should look to have up-gradable boards that allow you to merge several functions from other boards onto one through miniaturization (Tech tree nodes).

33 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

But if I think I know what you are thinking, you want to have one that is 'exposed' (radially attached outside the vessel) then you should re-model it to have a door on it to open/close. You can then re-write the config files for the boards so they burn up in atmospheres quite easily if they are outside a cargo bay or have their door open. All this you can do just creating new models and new config files using existing stock modules. While you are at it, you should look at what science experiments can be modularize onto a board from other mods, etc. And once you have done that, you should look to have up-gradable boards that allow you to merge several functions from other boards onto one through miniaturization (Tech tree nodes).

Yup... I was thinking keep the existing models, but also keeping the basic design on both, and on the inline, making a sliding "door" to cover the "notch" the boards sit in... So when closed, it looks similar to a large inline SAS... On the radial part, I'm thinking making it a little more "streamlined", and laying the "boards" :) , on their side, longitudinally, rather than end-out as they are now... And then, also a smaller radial core for just 2-3 boards...

Customizing the boards to support various mods is already very easy... I've already made a couple... :)

The idea of miniaturization is pretty interesting... I thought about smaller parts, and combining functions, but hadnt thought about using techtree nodes to implement miniaturization... :thumbs-up:
As to combining functions, I thought, Nah... Cuz at what point could you just put everything on one board, with a tiny slot for a core... The mod would be down to one or two parts... And that would not be as FUN... lol

Edited by Stone Blue

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Yup... I was thinking keep the existing models, but also keeping the basic design on both, and on the inline, making a sliding "door" to cover the "notch" the boards sit in... So when closed, it looks similar to a large inline SAS... On the radial part, I'm thinking making it a little more "streamlined", and laying the "boards" :) , on their side, longitudinally, rather than end-out as they are now... And then, also a smaller radial core for just 2-3 boards...

Customizing the boards to support various mods is already very easy... I've already made a couple... :)

The idea of miniaturization is pretty interesting... I thought about smaller parts, and combining functions, but hadnt thought about using techtree nodes to implement miniaturization... :thumbs-up:
As to combining functions, I thought, Nah... Cuz at what point could you just put everything on one board, with a tiny slot for a core... The mod would be down to one or two parts... And that would not be as FUN... lol

Sounds good. Just think about laying them on their side etc. That the user still has to be able to click on them to remove them using KIS/KAS.
You need to look at all the boards and come up with something reasonable that you can gain miniaturization/merge boards together through the science tree. but with limits.. Say you can only merge 2 together into 1. That way you still need more than one board usually. Anyway look forward to seeing it. And if @micha030201 comes back you can always roll your changes into his. Good Luck.

• 5 months later...

With a growing list of supported mods (53 so far), that makes for a LOT of card slots, and required "cooling" & electrical demands, so I'm also thinking about turning ZZZs science lab model into a large Computer/Control Systems/Communications module... Completely dedicated to full ship & computer control center using the slots & cards from this mod....

DQE8H7v.jpg

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

With a growing list of supported mods (53 so far), that makes for a LOT of card slots, and required "cooling" & electrical demands, so I'm also thinking about turning ZZZs science lab model into a large Computer/Control Systems/Communications module... Completely dedicated to full ship & computer control center using the slots & cards from this mod....

DQE8H7v.jpg

That seems a very good idea to implement. But can i suggest you to change a little the texture? The same model is used in Interstellar Extended as a lab.

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

That seems a very good idea to implement. But can i suggest you to change a little the texture? The same model is used in Interstellar Extended as a lab.

I'm just now learning basic texturing, but yes, I was thinking, if nothing else, changing the color of the stripes/endcaps.... I'd probably tweak the model a little as well, for exterior card slot storage, with animated doors, and add some kind of hardmounted heat radiator, or ,maybe make some small animated heat radiator panels...Maybe add a couple basic animated antennas, also... Depends on what I've learned up to whatever point I decide to actually give it a go...

On 7/21/2016 at 6:00 PM, Stone Blue said:

I'm just now learning basic texturing, but yes, I was thinking, if nothing else, changing the color of the stripes/endcaps.... I'd probably tweak the model a little as well, for exterior card slot storage, with animated doors, and add some kind of hardmounted heat radiator, or ,maybe make some small animated heat radiator panels...Maybe add a couple basic animated antennas, also... Depends on what I've learned up to whatever point I decide to actually give it a go...

are you using the original model or some you got from...elsewhere? The original has an animated dish antenna and equipment bay. Pretty sure Interstellar removed these animations.

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

are you using the original model or some you got from...elsewhere? The original has an animated dish antenna and equipment bay. Pretty sure Interstellar removed these animations.

I havent pulled any of the models from KSP-I... I got the original... I knew with a list of at least 53 mods I'd like to support, already, i would need at least 4x the card slots of the current part... So other ideas came along with having so many cards in one part, and then seeing the equipment bay on the SL, which I wanted to do something with anyway, things just clicked, and a plan came together... :)

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.