Modular Computer Package Continued

micha030201

5 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I havent pulled any of the models from KSP-I... I got the original... I knew with a list of at least 53 mods I'd like to support, already, i would need at least 4x the card slots of the current part... So other ideas came along with having so many cards in one part, and then seeing the equipment bay on the SL, which I wanted to do something with anyway, things just clicked, and a plan came together... :)

hmmm, what I meant was half of what you want to add to the science lab you linked above, it already seems to have.

But the real problem with this  mod? No pictures! I have a copy of this mod, and it looks like it has a good selection of parts, but without visual confirmation, I guess we'll never know.:P

34 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

hmmm, what I meant was half of what you want to add to the science lab you linked above, it already seems to have.

Oh yeah, I know... :) ... i thought I'd just like to tweak them, so they fit THIS mod, and also to spice up the SL model abit, rather than re-using the SAME EXACT model that already exists in several other mods... :)

34 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

But the real problem with this  mod? No pictures! I have a copy of this mod, and it looks like it has a good selection of parts, but without visual confirmation, I guess we'll never know.:P

What?... theres lots of pics in the OP... It has the large 1.25m core (13 card slots), the radial mount core, with 6 or was it 8 slots?

Then theres the cards, with, IIRC, 4 different shield colors, and several "category" stencils on the shields also...

EDIT: DOh!... Looks like the recent imgur debacle has broken the pics/links... :P

I think the only difference partwise or even look wise, from the original mod is the addition of the radial core... Picture a loaf of bread, with six slots in the top, and painted a plain battleship grey color....

Edited by Stone Blue

12 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Oh yeah, I know... :) ... i thought I'd just like to tweak them, so they fit THIS mod, and also to spice up the SL model abit, rather than re-using the SAME EXACT model that already exists in several other mods... :)

What?... theres lots of pics in the OP... It has the large 1.25m core (13 card slots), the radial mount core, with 6 or was it 8 slots?

Then theres the cards, with, IIRC, 4 different shield colors, and several "category" stencils on the shields also...

EDIT: DOh!... Looks like the recent imgur debacle has broken the pics/links... :P

I think the only difference partwise or even look wise, from the original mod is the addition of the radial core... Picture a loaf of bread, with six slots in the top, and painted a plain battleship grey color....

the original post from the original mod has pictures that still work. Some things, if you go forward with this:

• Radiator Chip
  • B9 Info chip could be patched to include an either/or with Firespitter Info module
  • Thermometer chip (maybe combine with radiator chip?)
  • Rx Wheel Chip (very weak) - probably combine with ASAS chip
  • Note on the Lab Chip: I've tried in the past to make "robot" labs - the game doesn't like labs without crew requirements, which is probably why the converter is commented out.
  • I have yet to figure out what the eyeball scan does for ScanSat.
  • Radial core should probably more closely mimic inline core.
  • Have proper :NEEDS on the respective parts and redo the category = -1 business.

All I can think off after rifling through the configs.

55 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

the original post from the original mod has pictures that still work. Some things, if you go forward with this:

• Radiator Chip
  • B9 Info chip could be patched to include an either/or with Firespitter Info module
  • Thermometer chip (maybe combine with radiator chip?)
  • Rx Wheel Chip (very weak) - probably combine with ASAS chip
  • Note on the Lab Chip: I've tried in the past to make "robot" labs - the game doesn't like labs without crew requirements, which is probably why the converter is commented out.
  • I have yet to figure out what the eyeball scan does for ScanSat.
  • Radial core should probably more closely mimic inline core.
  • Have proper :NEEDS on the respective parts and redo the category = -1 business.

All I can think off after rifling through the configs.

• I'd rather model the radiators right into the cores, if possible... Maybe make folding radiator panels for the Lab...
  • Yes, B9/FS info chips would be good... I havent even looked at the mod in a while, and I have CRS bad, but a chip with those functions may already be done
  • Thermometer chip... already done
  • No, I'm thinking having the Lab manned... not a requirement to ALWAYS be manned, tho... ??... Yeah, i would probably remove any stock lab functionality... I basically just want the model, to make more of a CNCC (Computer/Nav/Comm Center) or SS (Ship's Systems) module, NOT a lab.. :) The only thing I think it would have in common with a regular science lab would be, is that there is a hard-drive card to store science in
  • no idea what the SCANsat "eyeball" is
  •  I have a couple ideas for the form factor for the radial core... It will stay a surface attached part tho... I would probably add a seperate .625m in-line core
  • Yes... proper :NEEDS would definately be a requirement
  • I've already created a few "cards" for several mods that arent listed in either OP...

Since I'm so new, and I might be pipe-dreaming, but I would like to maybe see about a "functionality" switch for the cards... ie, instead of having a seperate card part for each supported mod clutter up the editors, just a show ONE card, and have the user not only be able to switch the card color/text, but also define the card function... ie select which mod the card would function for... Make sense?
But then again, I'm new to MM & .cfgs, so I'd have to find out if that is even possible... I just know having ONE part in the editor, vs 53 or more, would probably make this mod more appealing for people to use...

Edited by Stone Blue

7 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

• I'd rather model the radiators right into the cores, if possible... Maybe make folding radiator panels for the Lab...
  • Yes, B9/FS info chips would be good... I havent even looked at the mod in a while, and I have CRS bad, but a chip with those functions may already be done
  • Thermometer chip... already done
  • No, I'm thinking having the Lab manned... not a requirement to ALWAYS be manned, tho... ??... Yeah, i would probably remove any stock lab functionality... I basically just want the model, to make more of a CNCC (Computer/Nav/Comm Center) module...
  • no idea what the SCANsat "eyeball" is
  •  I have a couple ideas for the form factor for the radial core... It will stay a surface attached part tho... I would probably add a seperate .625m in-line core
  • Yes... proper :NEEDS would definately be a requirement
  • I've already created a few "cards" for several mods that arent listed in either OP...

Since I'm so new, and I might be pipe-dreaming, but I would like to maybe see about a "functionality" switch for the cards... ie, instead of having a seperate card part for each supported mod clutter up the editors, just a show ONE card, and have the user not only be able to switch the card color/text, but also define the card function... ie select which mod the card would function for... Make sense?
But then again, I'm new to MM & .cfgs, so I'd have to find out if that is even possible... I just know having ONE part in the editor, vs 53 or more, would probably make this mod more appealing for people to use...

• there is already a b9 info chip - I meant add in the firespitter info chip, with a patch that if you don't have b9, it uses the firespitter one, or vice versa.
  • there is already a lab chip, not the lab we were talking about earlier. It functions as only half a lab though. Actually, I think in it's present state it will throw NRE's due to the module indices being improperly numbered (container needs to go first, before the firespitter modules).
  • mesh switching and resource switching is possible with Firespitter/IFS/B9. Node Switching with B9PartSwitch. Module switching...I believe that's plugin territory.
    • an alternative is to create a custom editor category for all the chips and confine them to that category; it would cut down on clutter and not require a plugin
  • something to consider is that I think these chips currently would work without the core, which I'm not sure makes a whole lot of sense. Not sure there is a way around this though. Could look at Universal Storage, but I think that mod just uses it's unique form factor as the control mechanism

53 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:
  • there is already a b9 info chip - I meant add in the firespitter info chip, with a patch that if you don't have b9, it uses the firespitter one, or vice versa.
  • there is already a lab chip, not the lab we were talking about earlier. It functions as only half a lab though. Actually, I think in it's present state it will throw NRE's due to the module indices being improperly numbered (container needs to go first, before the firespitter modules).
  • mesh switching and resource switching is possible with Firespitter/IFS/B9. Node Switching with B9PartSwitch. Module switching...I believe that's plugin territory.
    • an alternative is to create a custom editor category for all the chips and confine them to that category; it would cut down on clutter and not require a plugin
  • something to consider is that I think these chips currently would work without the core, which I'm not sure makes a whole lot of sense. Not sure there is a way around this though. Could look at Universal Storage, but I think that mod just uses it's unique form factor as the control mechanism
  • Ahh.. OK.. Yes, absolutely... :)
  • Ok.. see?... my CRS... I dont recall a lab chip, but then I always played sandbox when I used the mod, so I never really bothered with science at ALL, so I'm pretty sure I would never have used the lab chip...
    Hmmm... Maybe the lab chip could be made to only work while the module was manned... Maybe only require minimum of an Engineer, if no Scientist is on-board... Think of it as the lab chip running the science all by itself, yet just needing an Engineer to baby-sit the hardware and software part of it, and NOT the sciency-computating part of it?... That would still allow you to NOT have to include an actual MPL in the ship design, and also mean you could do with one less crewmember (Scientist), as then the Engineer could just double up on duties to cover getting science done...??
  • Wouldnt need mesh switching, I dont think...Texture switching, yes... Module switching, if it needs to be coded, I guess I would have to recruit an interested collaborator... I might already have someone in mind, just depends on if his current project gets done, and if he has time to pick up another mod...
  • yeah, functionally, I dont think a core is required... but then again, what would you do, just surface attach a bare card to a fuselage or something?...Wheres the fun in that?... :) Plus, if you can afford the computer resources to run 13 cards or more, 1 more core part just for aesthetics shouldnt be a problem... But yeah, i see your point, and I would take a look at how to easily make a core a requirement
  • As to Universal Storage, etc, I'd rather just model all the required parts "in-house" so to say... Rather than have more mod dependencies... Another consideration is want to have all the parts as small and compact as possible (but of course still useable with KIS/KAS), and I think that control would best be handled directly by who ever devs THIS mod... rather than trying to make the parts for this mod, fit around someone elses part design...
Edited by Stone Blue

39 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:
  • Ahh.. OK.. Yes, absolutely... :)
  • Ok.. see?... my CRS... I dont recall a lab chip, but then I always played sandbox when I used the mod, so I never really bothered with science at ALL, so I'm pretty sure I would never have used the lab chip...
    Hmmm... Maybe the lab chip could be made to only work while the module was manned... Maybe only require minimum of an Engineer, if no Scientist is on-board... Think of it as the lab chip running the science all by itself, yet just needing an Engineer to baby-sit the hardware and software part of it, and NOT the sciency-computating part of it?... That would still allow you to NOT have to include an actual MPL in the ship design, and also mean you could do with one less crewmember (Scientist), as then the Engineer could just double up on duties to cover getting science done...??
  • Wouldnt need mesh switching, I dont think...Texture switching, yes... Module switching, if it needs to be coded, I guess I would have to recruit an interested collaborator... I might already have someone in mind, just depends on if his current project gets done, and if he has time to pick up another mod...
  • yeah, functionally, I dont think a core is required... but then again, what would you do, just surface attach a bare card to a fuselage or something?...Wheres the fun in that?... :) Plus, if you can afford the computer resources to run 13 cards or more, 1 more core part just for aesthetics shouldnt be a problem... But yeah, i see your point, and I would take a look at how to easily make a core a requirement
  • As to Universal Storage, etc, I'd rather just model all the required parts "in-house" so to say... Rather than have more mod dependencies... Another consideration is want to have all the parts as small and compact as possible (but of course still useable with KIS/KAS), and I think that control would best be handled directly by who ever devs THIS mod... rather than trying to make the parts for this mod, fit around someone elses part design...
  • The science lab is split into two modules (see below) - the first is mainly for reseting and relocating science experiments, the second for converting data into science. The lab chip currently only has the functionality of the first, not the second. CrewsRequired = # refers to scientists and that's hardcoded I believe, as is the scientist bonus down below in the second module. You would have to do a work around with plugins (see Station Science) if you want to use Engineers.
  • Mesh Switching and texture switching are kind of the same thing, at least that's what I meant. I know they're technically different, but functionally, similar.
  • My point with the core is that it should be required, but at present I don't think it is and I don't know of a way to fix that. It's like taping sticks of ram to the side of my computer doesn't make the computer go faster. Need the relevant slot and such.
  • My point with Universal storage was merely a comparison, as another mod that has similar features. I wasn't suggesting it as a dependency or using it at all; just look how they do things if you need ideas.
  • Sadly, I don't know jack about programming (although I did just recompile my first plugin not ten minutes ago, and it seems to work flawlessly, pretty thrilled about that).

//------------------LAB--------------------//
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleScienceLab
	containerModuleIndex = 0
	dataStorage = 2500 // 150
	crewsRequired = 1
	canResetConnectedModules = True
	canResetNearbyModules = True
	interactionRange = 5
	SurfaceBonus = 0.1
	ContextBonus = 0.25
	homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
	RESOURCE_PROCESS
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 10
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleScienceConverter
	scientistBonus = 0.25	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x
	researchTime = 7	    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
	scienceMultiplier = 5	//How much science does data turn into?
	scienceCap = 2500	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?
	powerRequirement = 1	//EC/Sec to research
	ConverterName = Research
	StartActionName = Start Research
	StopActionName = Stop Research
	ToggleActionName = Toggle Research //--added
}

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.