Go Stock! (Movement to integrate the asteroid day mod into stock)

Should the Asteroid mod be stock?  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Asteroid mod be stock?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Other! Please post.

I downloaded it, but only because it said bigger solar panels and I love big solar panels.

That being said, if it is as I fear and just a larger version of the single solar panel and not a larger array I am going to be disappointed and not care :P

First of all, I do NOT say I don't want the mod to be stock.

What I mean is that it's easy to put the mod folder in the game folder, it's like adding a normal mod: even more, you can put some folder in the Squad folder and, if you do it good, it won't be different than a stock install.

The advantage of releasing this as a mod is that the size of the file is a lot smaller(think of it: just download a few parts instead of the whole game): the only disadvantage is that you have to move some folder, which is done in a few seconds. Downloading the game would take way longer than downloading the mod and moving the folders.

What I mean is that it's easy to put the mod folder in the game folder, it's like adding a normal mod: even more, you can put some folder in the Squad folder and, if you do it good, it won't be different than a stock install.

The advantage of releasing this as a mod is that the size of the file is a lot smaller(think of it: just download a few parts instead of the whole game): the only disadvantage is that you have to move some folder, which is done in a few seconds. Downloading the game would take way longer than downloading the mod and moving the folders.

Thing is, if this was stock, then we could share crafts with it under the "stock craft" tag, as well as make it far more convienient for customers of companies to download because they don't have to download a mod (OK, admittedly I'm one to talk, what with belonging to a company devoted to mod craft).

I like the idea but I don't get the emphasis of it. Like if I had KSP running 64x and I had multiplayer in stock KSP and gp2 then yeah but until then I'm againgst it

That is not my reason for wanting this in stock, as with the World Cup I highly doubt this mod will be tended to ever and thus will not work in future updates. But if it's stock then I know putting these parts on my craft wont break them in 1.1.

Appears not to be very popular as cursed says 0 downloads about 30 minutes ago.

Considering that your post was over an hour after I had downloaded it I would say that the download counter on Curse isn't working, or that it only works when someone logged in to curse makes a download.

I agree it should be added to 1.1. Maybe make a poll with Yes or No integration?

Good idea, will do.

Agreed. I will join the go stock movement!

Welcome!

True, but for beginning players, installing a mod is not super easy (I speak from experience here), and it isn't a very big mod, plus, as Hobbes Novakoff says, if it was stock, e could design and share craft with it more easily than if it was a mod.

Of course, you could also say that, if you never built planes, plane parts should be released as a official mod, but some people would still want to build planes without having to install a mod.

If this was more frivolous, like the soccer/football mod, then it makes sense to have it as a mod, after all, how often is someone going to use a soccer ball?

So, in my opinion, whether something should be a official mod, or stock, is how often a player would use the parts. I could imagine a lot of uses for all the parts, and the new antenna, telescope, and contract would add more variety to career mode, so I think they should be stock, plus: If someone doesn't like the new parts, and feels like they should only be a mod, they could remove the parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Harvester might not even read this ya know

True, but the round 8 thing got devs listening.

Go Stock!

Good idea, will do.

Welcome!

True, but for beginning players, installing a mod is not super easy (I speak from experience here), and it isn't a very big mod, plus, as Hobbes Novakoff says, if it was stock, e could design and share craft with it more easily than if it was a mod.

Of course, you could also say that, if you never built planes, plane parts should be released as a official mod, but some people would still want to build planes without having to install a mod.

If this was more frivolous, like the soccer/football mod, then it makes sense to have it as a mod, after all, how often is someone going to use a soccer ball?

So, in my opinion, whether something should be a official mod, or stock, is how often a player would use the parts. I could imagine a lot of uses for all the parts, and the new antenna, telescope, and contract would add more variety to career mode, so I think they should be stock, plus: If someone doesn't like the new parts, and feels like they should only be a mod, they could remove the parts.

- - - Updated - - -

True, but the round 8 thing got devs listening.

Go Stock!

Wut is 8 round

Wut is 8 round

A while back the devs said they were going to repurpose the "Round-8 Toroidial fuel tank" as a xenon tank, and the forums went into uproar, and the R8 tank stayed LFO.

Screw stock! If it had more than just a science bay a telescope, maybe! But since it has 4 FREAKING PARTS, it should stay as a mod forever.

I made a post a couple up on whether a feature should be stock, and why I thought these parts and features should be stock.

Go Stock!

Appears not to be very popular as cursed says 0 downloads about 30 minutes ago.
The download counter on the main page isn't working, but, if you click the "project site" link on that page, the download counter (at this time) says:
Created: 9 hours ago

Last Released File: 9 hours ago

Total Downloads: 2,714

I like it as a mod pack for now. It is not just parts; the contract glues them together and makes the package a themed mini-expansion to the core game. It would not surprise me if it was eventually rolled into the core game, but I wonder if Squad may be under a contract obligation with the B612 Foundation, to distribute it this way.

I would love to see this made stock as of the next major update.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (timezones :( ) but it looks really cool, and the associated mission sounds great too.

OTOH, with the stock patcher/launcher currently being borked, releasing it as stock now would force everyone to download the entire game again. Not to mention that incrementing the version number would cause some mods to report themselves as incompatible (some still haven't caught up their version checkers to 1.0.4).

Releasing it as a mod now, to celebrate the actual asteroid day, makes perfect sense. SQUAD can then include it in the next major update, when everyone has to download the full game anyway. Win-Win.

Actually, for small additional part packs or other minor additions, this makes a pretty good release model; giving people who are interested the ability to try out new features and provide feedback before they're included in the official release.

I agree that even if this isn't included as fully stock in the next update, SQUAD should at least commit to maintaining it concurrently with updates to the main game.

I hope (and for the time will assume) that this will be like the NASA ARM "mod" that came out. It had its own directory in GameData for a while, even though it came with the base game. I wouldn't be surprised if the next version of the game to come out had this "pre-installed" and then a few versions after that it was just baked into the Squad folder.

put it on kerbalstuff, I dont support that cancer.

Interesting. I thought we'd all settled on the idea that modders get to decide where they put their stuff. If you don't like Curse so much to not download this mod, then that's your own business, not Squad's or anybody else's.

Sounds good! Hoping to eventually have the time to try it out. After restarting when 1.0x released I haven't even had time to unlock resource scanning yet. So many more things to play with.... so little time to play with them.

From what I've seen so far the new mod really integrates well into KSP and the new contract type makes it even more interesting. Well done Squad and thanks! =3

Would be great if this mod would become part of the next update.

Myself I don't see much point in these "let's start a movement" threads. The thing I want squad to be doing is to move the game to Unity 5. Then I can add as many mods as I desire, also at that point adding more parts and contracts would not make the game even more unstable due to being even closer to the memory limit...

In the mean time, trying to drag their efforts this way and that will only result in the U5 version possibly being less polished and more buggy than it inevitably will be.