Go Stock! (Movement to integrate the asteroid day mod into stock)

Should the Asteroid mod be stock?  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Asteroid mod be stock?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Other! Please post.

The parts are just parts using otherwise already updated code. The camera would carry with it the need to update the asteroid detection/generation code for 1.1 - and since they already had to delay the new comm feature ..

• 3 weeks later...
On April 4, 2016 at 1:44 AM, KerbMav said:

The parts are just parts using otherwise already updated code. The camera would carry with it the need to update the asteroid detection/generation code for 1.1 - and since they already had to delay the new comm feature ..

So for 1.1 should I install the mod or not?  Confused I am!

On 4/23/2016 at 11:08 AM, jpinard said:

So for 1.1 should I install the mod or not?  Confused I am!

You should not. Until it is updated to work with some of the changes in 1.1, installing it breaks the game. Presumably this is the reason the SENTINEL part wasn't included with the others.

Edited by rspeed
Explained things a bit more clearly

2 hours ago, rspeed said:

You should not. Until it is updated to work with some of the changes in 1.1, installing it breaks the game. Presumably this is the reason the SENTINEL part wasn't included with the others.

Thanks - you probably just saved my install. :)

I'm glad the other parts are in, that's for sure. Never used the telescope part. But those big ox-stats? Very useful! The big probe core is perfect for "mothership" designs, where you have a bigger orbiter and transfer stage in one, carrying a lander/descender. The scale just works out - big core for the big orbiter, small one (like a HECS or OCTO) for the lander. Like Cassini/Huygens, or that one whose name is already escaping me that tried to land on bounced off the comet.

The antenna is fun too!

1 hour ago, moogoob said:

I'm glad the other parts are in, that's for sure. Never used the telescope part. But those big ox-stats? Very useful! The big probe core is perfect for "mothership" designs, where you have a bigger orbiter and transfer stage in one, carrying a lander/descender. The scale just works out - big core for the big orbiter, small one (like a HECS or OCTO) for the lander. Like Cassini/Huygens, or that one whose name is already escaping me that tried to land on bounced off the comet.

The antenna is fun too!

Rosetta/Philae

Also, I hope they add the telescope back soon.  Was looking forward to using it in my recent career mode playthrough, and now I'm bummed it doesn't work.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

I think a set of functioning telescopes would be a great addition to the game. It could also be very educational if it was possible to observe distant objects and get actual scientific informations about them.

I would love to see some of danRosas' work implemented into the game. Not sure what he's currently working on and I don't mean to tell devs what to do, but since we don't get much of the actual cinematic animations for the update trailers, his talents could be utilised in some other and creative way. Procedural nebulae and star clusters might look great if done right.

And besides, he's been experimenting with smoke effects anyway last time I've read his devnote.

27 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Will copying over the telescope part to my 1.1 install result in gamebreaking glitches, or just a nonfunctional telescope? Because my main save is down until I get the telescope part.

You'll have a telescope that doesn't do much. :P

It only breaks the game if you install the mod as a whole. If you trim it down to just the telescope you get the part, but it isn't functional. The custom contract (to place a telescope between Eve and Kerbin) doesn't show up, either.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

sigh

they didn't integrate it to 1.2, would the previous version work in 1.2? or should we wait for god knows how long?

Now that some of the parts have been integrated, and this was from a while ago, I doubt that asteroid day will ever be fully integrated.  I don't know whether the mod still works, sorry.

What if we "upgrade" this mod?  I mean, if we're talking about increasing the potential number of asteroid locations one can have in stock, why not go all out?

From the cheat menu (or some kind of option in the tracking station, or some other place that makes sense), the user can press a button that launches an asteroid "spawner".  This spawner, once it starts running, will generate random asteroids -- with the randomness weighted according to options the user selects.  Those options should include things like semi-major axis range, eccentricity range, inclination range, size ("class") range, resource contents, and the asteroid spawning rate.  (It would be nice if we could have colored markers for the results from different spawners, so that we can see which asteroids we see in the tracking station were generated by which spawner.)

Several spawners can run simultaneously.  If a user opts to delete a spawner, the user is given the option of deleting all asteroids generated by that spawner or to allow them to "fade away" when they are not selected for tracking after a time (as asteroids normally do in the game).

It would be nice to tie the ability to detect asteroids to the player's capability somehow, and the Sentinel telescope did that -- at the cost of making options available to the player like those I outline above.  Perhaps someone more clever than I can come up with a way to include a capability-based asteroid discovery mechanic while preserving maximum player choice.

And as long as I'm dreaming, more and different textures for different asteroids would be nice.

Of course, I know that this represents a substantial amount of effort, and that I have no way to influence SQUAD's decision to include spawners like these other than to beg.  (My financial resources are rather limited.)  Still, I dream.

1 hour ago, Nikolai said:

What if we "upgrade" this mod?  I mean, if we're talking about increasing the potential number of asteroid locations one can have in stock, why not go all out?

From the cheat menu (or some kind of option in the tracking station, or some other place that makes sense), the user can press a button that launches an asteroid "spawner".  This spawner, once it starts running, will generate random asteroids -- with the randomness weighted according to options the user selects.  Those options should include things like semi-major axis range, eccentricity range, inclination range, size ("class") range, resource contents, and the asteroid spawning rate.  (It would be nice if we could have colored markers for the results from different spawners, so that we can see which asteroids we see in the tracking station were generated by which spawner.)

Several spawners can run simultaneously.  If a user opts to delete a spawner, the user is given the option of deleting all asteroids generated by that spawner or to allow them to "fade away" when they are not selected for tracking after a time (as asteroids normally do in the game).

It would be nice to tie the ability to detect asteroids to the player's capability somehow, and the Sentinel telescope did that -- at the cost of making options available to the player like those I outline above.  Perhaps someone more clever than I can come up with a way to include a capability-based asteroid discovery mechanic while preserving maximum player choice.

And as long as I'm dreaming, more and different textures for different asteroids would be nice.

Of course, I know that this represents a substantial amount of effort, and that I have no way to influence SQUAD's decision to include spawners like these other than to beg.  (My financial resources are rather limited.)  Still, I dream.

I'm ok with different textures, add different resources to the equation too, but having a spawner that will spawn more astroids, well, i don't think it's necessary, only being able to see more than what is there already should be plenty. and about updating the mod ourselves, unfortunately it's not open source. although, hopping for a talented mod developer to make a mod like this and maintain it is nice dream :wink: