Devnote Tuesday: Asteroid Day Edition

SQUAD

To be fair, it's in different contexts. 'Look after oldies' I take to mean 'don't devolve into a lolphysics, 'splosion-powered, dumbed down piece of rubbish' and this 'look after newbies' I take to mean 'provide info about old game features'. The oldies saw the game grow a beard when bac9 redsigned the KSC, when SP+ and ARM were introduced etc. They don't want to see their favourite and probably most accurate space simulator game ruined. Newbies, on the other hand, just want to know what the first official mod was.

I more think of the former as "Tell us when something happens. Here. On the forums. And you're aware of the official bug reporting site, right?"

And nice try, sucking me into the tvtropes black hole. But I burned at periapsis and escaped. A maneuver which is probably somewhere on that site.

First of all I appreciate for all you're work, keep working guys!

AFAIK MMOs like War Thunder (or maybe World of Tanks?) also has to deal with physics simulation and synchronization and often with some serious lag (personally playing with PING over 200 and still with no serious issue).

The problem isn't physics, or synchronization, or even lag. The problem is time warp. When you and I are playing together, and I time warp in my orbit while you're landing a ship on the mun, then what happens?

The problem isn't physics, or synchronization, or even lag. The problem is time warp. When you and I are playing together, and I time warp in my orbit while you're landing a ship on the mun, then what happens?

Either both players can timewarp individually (in a reasonable timespan, depending on how close they are to one another) and catch up later - or all players will have to wait until everyone is willing/ready to timewarp, like a turnbased strategy game.

If something like KerbalAlarmClock is implemented, players could even go on and build ships, while time warps up to the point they set and others continue flying their ships.

And nice try, sucking me into the tvtropes black hole. But I burned at periapsis and escaped. A maneuver which is probably somewhere on that site.

Hah! I'm glad I'm not the only one that chased that link down the million-clicks-later rabbit hole. It's almost as bad as the "Recommended For Your Pleasure" section after any Cracked.com article.

--pest

try not to get defensive but, its very clear that you know very little about game coding.

like kaspavid said. its a physics based sandbox game its all about getting things so they sync smoothly.

the time thing is not a problem. as there are many ways of solving it and they have all been discussed at great length on the forums over the last year +

even dark multiplayer MOD had 3 different ways of dealing with time speeding up.

it mainly worked by creating "different" time zones that could be resynced once all maneuvers had been done.

but you could switch how it did it in the config.

one method is how Kerbmav describes it above

so there is no problem really. the devs have had more than a year to decide on the method

Edited by joebopie

None of the multiplayer time warp solutions I've read about are really satisfactory, they either force periods of waiting or have sync issues.

The current way the mods do it is great, there are not many other ways of doing it. I'd be very surprised if the official multiplayers works on a different premise.

Wait I'm missing something.

What's Asteroid Day?

An official (aka made by Squad) mod for KSP: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/232196-asteroid-day

I don't blame you for missing it - I didn't know either until it got mentioned in a different section of the forum. Releasing it as a mod is... not a good mechanism for content delivery, IMHO. Free DLC on Steam would be good, but I guess that not everyone uses Steam. Just a plain old update would have been good as an alternative :)

(Unless I've misunderstood the question, in which case, see above! ^^;)

Releasing it as a mod is... not a good mechanism for content delivery, IMHO. Free DLC on Steam would be good, but I guess that not everyone uses Steam. Just a plain old update would have been good as an alternative :)

Squad have acknowledged that fact but due to the current non-working state of the patcher for non-steam users, an update would require lots of people to do another full download and install. Releasing it as a mod now and rolling it into stock in 1.1 is quite a sensible way to do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.