Made spaceship - no control as it turns left and right on its own : /

Hello, I made a space only vehicle (see images for configuration of engines), docked it together, but it only flies straight if I have the rear 4 engines on (made it with 6). If I add two more engines to the top/bottom for a total of 8 placed symmetrically will it be able to fly straight?

Thanks! Its a simple ship, but it was meant to orbit multiple planets with a high max liquid fuel load (14,000+) so I can send my kerbinaughts across the solar system. At least that's what I imagine being a high max liquid fuel capacity : p Tips and improvements welcome.

A quick update after flying it around as is. Turning off the side engines allowed it to fly straight... Its slow as molassis! I might consider using large rocket engines instead. I was looking to make a ship that would launch or be assembled in space, but never land - just orbit and run science experiments with a full crew. I see a lot of SSTO's and one shot rockets - anyone have a link to permanent space ships that run long missions and refuel back at a station?

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by mackadelik

If it has trouble controlling yaw I'd suggest to check if:

-there is a fuel imbalance (one engine draining from a core tank, missing fuel line)

-one of the engines is obstructed or its thrust lowered in the tweak menu

-your cargo is really centered

Sometimes you can have an off-center craft and the problems only show up if you burn with highish thrust. Can happen because the reaction wheels can compensate for the imbalance at lower accelerations. You might want to get RCS Build Aid and see if your craft is really balanced: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35996

PS: Yes, I use tugs with NERVAs that can drag other vehicles from one planet to another. They only carry liquid fuel and their TWR to low to land anywhere but at my Minmus refueling station.

Edited by Col_Jessep

All those things Col jessep says are very good tips.

Also you could turn on the thrust indication button in the VAB on your build just to check that the thrust is in fact centered.

Or try turning off pairs of symmetry engines to see which pair is giving the off centered push. May indicate there is no engine push at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.