Using the YongeTech tech tree plug-in

One of the recent add-ons is the YongeTech tech-tree plug-in. This does two things. It allows a KSP install to run multiple different tech trees, selected when the new Squad is created. To do this, it specifies the link between a Part and a Tech Tree node in the TechTree.cfg rather than in the Part.cfg.

And you can still run a game with the Stock Tech Tree.

The release thread is here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/125338-1-0-3-YongeTech-Tech-Trees-Plugin-%28v1-2-1%29?highlight=Yongetech

While there is a demo tech tree, just having one is a bit pointless, and a day or two ago I started looking at things to see if a YT version was possible. That needed a bit of work to actually get a list of what stock parts were linked to which stock node.

I decided to make a YT version of the stock Tech Tree, which is maybe a little pointless, but provides a base for other Tech Trees. It actually lists the relationship between stock parts and tech nodes.

I then turned this into a YT version of the CTT.

These seem to work, and I figure they would be useful for Mod creators. At this stage, it needs other eyes than mine to check things. Are any parts missing? Are all the nodes in the right place? That sort of question. Also, importantly, how is a new part, node not specified in the Tech Tree, located?

Incidentally, there are a few extra bits in the Stock Tech Tree entries which don't seem to be used.

RDNode
{
id = start
title = Start
description = The technology we started out with.
cost = 0
hideEmpty = False
nodeName = node0_start //What does this do?
anyToUnlock = False
icon = RDicon_start
pos = -2568,1199,-1 // A few nodes have numbers after the decimal point which seems over-precise
scale = 0.6
Unlocks // This is the YongeTech method of linking parts & nodes
{
part = basicFin
part = mk1pod
part = solidBooster_sm
part = GooExperiment
part = trussPiece1x
part = parachuteSingle
}
}

I still want to make one or two tests before I make the trees available. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to label them in a way that Module Manager can recognise and act on? I don't want to mess up how a parts mod might set tech node links.

I've hit a brick wall. But there looks to be a new version of the plug-in.

It seems to be the interactions with Module Manager.

The savefile ends up pointing to ModuleManager.TechTree which is essentially the Stock tree

I am wondering how Module Manager does the test NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]

This is frustrating.

With regards to :NEEDS lines; modulemanager runs a test to see if there's a folder named CommunityTechTree in the GameData folder; if it exists, then the condition passes and modulemanager runs whatever code comes after it; otherwise it fails and ignores whatever comes after it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.