[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

There's already one in the Advanced menu options. It's pretty good.

Re the radial pack: Ha! It hadn't loaded properly when I was fooling around with USI, but there it is. Excellent, all is well. :)

I mean, a small massless lunchbox with 10 Noms in it or something wouldn't go amiss, but I'm happy otherwise. :)

I've been looking for this mod since forever, and I only realized when I saw it on reddit tonight. I really love the stockalike looks and I dig those IVAs, this is all very high quality. Now I have to restart my career since I don't add new part halfway though, but it'll be totally worth it!

This is awesome! Love the parts (clever design that they can be packed as a 2.5 meter payload). And the IVAs are glorious, I appreciate those very much. Thank you!

Edit: as a suggestion: Raster prop monitor support! Probably suggested earlier in the thread, if so then please discard.

And know that I'm extremely hyped to play with this when I get home

Edited by potetr

Here are some images of my base building on Minmus. This should work for those building on a body with no atmosphere. It uses a skycrane docked to the top of the parts. It should however be docked near the center of mass.

Here are images from many of the steps. I took the base there in two launches with four landings. I then assembled the pieces with the rover wheels. Then I removed the wheels.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Things that aren't apparent in the images.

• I had to strut to fairing for the base to the I-beam or everything wobbled.
  • Care taking kerbals because it may flip you control ball

Questions:

• How do you get the imgur album to embed?
  • For some reason I can't get the kis tank to appear. I moved the files from the zip into the tanks folder. Did I do something wrong?

Edited by SSMI

Here are some images of my base building on Minmus. This should work for those building on a body with no atmosphere. It uses a skycrane docked to the top of the parts. It should however be docked near the center of mass.

Here are images from many of the steps. I took the base there in two launches with four landings. I then assembled the pieces with the rover wheels. Then I removed the wheels.

http://imgur.com/a/oacfT#0

Things that aren't apparent in the images.

• I had to strut to fairing for the base to the I-beam or everything wobbled.
  • Care taking kerbals because it may flip you control ball

Questions:

• How do you get the imgur album to embed?
  • For some reason I can't get the kis tank to appear. I moved the files from the zip into the tanks folder. Did I do something wrong?

[noparse]

[/noparse]

(btw to get BB tags to display like I did, you use [noparse][noparse][/noparse][/noparse])

Could you add a custom category, like KIS does, for the parts in the mod?
If you're interested in custom categories, check out Filter Extensions. It's highly customizable, and although how to create your own filters might not be easy to understand at first, it's definitely worth it.

I will add configs for Filter Extansions and create a settings file so decide where and if this mod places categories by itself :wink:

The data from the KIS.zip has to go into the Gamedata/PlanetaryBaseInc/MOD_SUPPORT/KIS folder. :wink:

Can't wait for TAC-LS support!

It's already in the making. However i will release the parts for it when they are done for all major LS-Mods. So no mod has a disadvantage.

Does this mod integrate with the tech tree in career mode in 1.0.4? I've installed it, and the parts appear in Sandbox but not in my career save.

They show up for me in 1.04 career.

EDIT- Are you using a mod that changes the tech nodes ?

Does this mod integrate with the tech tree in career mode in 1.0.4? I've installed it, and the parts appear in Sandbox but not in my career save.

The mod works with the tech tree and has the parts placed at (what i think) fitting nodes. When you are using a savegame where the nodes in the tech tree are already unlocked before adding this mod you have to unlock the parts manually in each node. This is the standard behaviour of KSP for parts that are added after the tech tree node is unlocked. All parts in nodes that aren't unlocked yet will be unlocked normally.

Edited by Nils277

Can't wait for TAC-LS support!

If you don't mind my rough stab at it have the Containers but still playing around with the Recyclers

TAC.png Can get them here just unzip to your KSP/GameData/ https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Test%20Parts/LifeSupport_Containers.zip

You can put them anywhere in the GameData folder or even in PlanetaryBaseInc folder.

Models by Nils277 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

Textures by TaranisElsu https://raw.githubusercontent.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/master/LICENSE.txt

Edited by Mecripp2

Would be nice if we could see some pressure tanks inside O2 container, water tanks (railway-cistern shape) inside water container, etc. Universal Storage-style. Would look much better than just plain decals.

If you don't mind my rough stab at it have the Containers but still playing around with the Recyclers

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/test%20parts/ScreenShots/TAC.png Can get them here just unzip to your KSP/GameData/ https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Test%20Parts/LifeSupport_Containers.zip

You can put them anywhere in the GameData folder or even in PlanetaryBaseInc folder.

Models by Nils277 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

Textures by TaranisElsu https://raw.githubusercontent.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/master/LICENSE.txt

Nice models until the official will be made ;-)

Would be nice if we could see some pressure tanks inside O2 container, water tanks (railway-cistern shape) inside water container, etc. Universal Storage-style. Would look much better than just plain decals.

The Containers will have differend models. I use universal storage as some sort of reference on how to design these parts :-)

I was glad to see that you're planning on support for all the major Life Support mods. I realize that most people use TAC, heck I was one of them for the longest time, but recently I decided to simplify my life and I went with RoverDude's USI-LS. Since Rover's on the dev team, I figure 2 things. 1 I'm reducing the complexity in my game time, and 2, if they do go with a "stock" life support ever, RD is most likely to be working on it, better to get used to it now IMHO. Look at the new Communications system they are talking about. It's like a mixture of Antenna Range and Remote Tech (at least IMHO from what's been released so far)...

So just my 2 cents and a thank you for this awesome mod.

BTW, I would really appreciate it if someone would make a video on delivery methods for these parts. The IMGUR shots are great but I'm still not doing things correctly... That and if you play career or science modes with the stock tree, you end up getting the base parts before you get the I-beam ... soo....

Yea. I did my landings in sandbox mode. It would be hard to do it earlier in the tech tree. I also had to use some pretty big rocket parts to get off Kerbin. Personally I think the Planetary Base Parts are all too early in the tech tree.

Hmmm. You might be able to surface attach them to rockets as if they were boosters. Still would be hard to land though.

Is it just me or do the landing legs from the mod spam this:

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ModuleLandingLeg.DynamicAnimation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleLandingLeg.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

They also sometimes have problems retracting.

Edited by sashan

I'm another in the non-TACLS camp. Any LS system can be reduced to power, hardware mass, and mass consumed per astronaut, per unit time. Any space program will know that water recovery is one rate, CO2 scrubbing is another, etc, and will supply the exact balance to deal with this, functionally resulting in 1 added mass value. Dealing with the mass of each component is nothing more than clutter, IMO. All you need do with TAC is look at the bottom-line consumed mass per astronaut, and all the rest could be eliminated. I don't like to see all the clutter when I right click.

Maybe you should use same partnames so that people's crafts would be compatible afterwards?

I looked at the internal names of the parts and they seem reasonable. I will try to keep these names when MeCripp agrees :)

Yea. I did my landings in sandbox mode. It would be hard to do it earlier in the tech tree. I also had to use some pretty big rocket parts to get off Kerbin. Personally I think the Planetary Base Parts are all too early in the tech tree.

Hmmm. You might be able to surface attach them to rockets as if they were boosters. Still would be hard to land though.

You might be right that they are a bit early in the TT. I placed the parts at nodes which had parts that had the most similarities. Are there more people thinking the parts are too early in the tech tree?

If so i will review this in one of the next iterations.

Is it just me or do the landing legs from the mod spam this:

They also sometimes have problems retracting.

Thanks for the bug report, i'll look into that. I suspected that there was something wrong with them as they didnt suspend when i tried them the last time. Just didn't think they were kinda broken in the last release.

You might be right that they are a bit early in the TT. I placed the parts at nodes which had parts that had the most similarities. Are there more people thinking the parts are too early in the tech tree?

If so i will review this in one of the next iterations.

I was just lamenting the fact that the I-Beam comes at the composites node in the tech tree, so in my career playthru I'm doing, I've unlocked all of the needed parts from your pack to make a base, except I can't make the landing system because I need the I-Beam...

Also I think it's going to depend on how you see your mod fitting in (or not) with RoverDude's MKS (another where I feel like the parts come just a tad to soon in the tree...

I think what it boils down too is this question: Is your mod for making "end game" bases (IE the player should have mostly filled out the tech tree by the time they use your parts), or is your mod meant to help the player propel themselves along the tech tree and earn more money in contracts?

edit: Expanding my thoughts

Another mod that fits in with these is Pathfinder. I feel like it fills the need of an early tech tree base system (it's like tents). Then you move into MKS/OKS modules which are meant for mid to late tree. I think these parts are the best looking and feel like stock, and I'd actually prefer to use them as MKS parts if you want my brutal honesty ...

ok now I'm just blathering...

Edited by rottielover

It seems really hard to expand the parts list with things that are functionally new and keep balance. Maybe consider supporting CTT? It has nodes for parts with similar functionality. Right now I'm playing either creative or stock TT, but usually CTT was the first thing to install.

I appreciate the texture re-use on those parts. :)

A small question - if you're trying to do all the parts for all the life support mods, will these be in seperate sub-releases? Or do the TAC guys get LSI bits lying around and vice versa?

A more general ponderance I'm trying to solve: Those massive battery banks store a whopping 3600 energy. This is fantastic until you realise it's enough to run a greenhouse asking for 1 energy per second for one hour. :( Are my bases meant to have huge long strings of battery banks lined up, or is life support not meant to be viable until you've got mining rig-supplied fuel cells and/or RTGs running? This is an honest question; it's just been a headscratcher.