[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

does anyone have configs for full USI-LS support, I tried making one but for whatever reason it gives all the parts negative costs :huh:

Uhm...what do you mean with full support for USI-LS? It is fully supported, you just need ModuleManager to be able to use the parts.

As for the costs you have to add the costs for the resources that the parts can store. Which is a lot of funds for USI-LS.

Do someone knows how to import old combined landing legs from 0.2.1 for example?

Just download the older mod and replace the "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Utility/habitat_mk1_g/LandingLeg.mu" and the "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Structural/Adapter/LandingGear.mu" files with the ones from the older version. That should be all. Sorry about the chaotic folder structure. I will have to clean this up some day.

Uhm...what do you mean with full support for USI-LS? It is fully supported, you just need ModuleManager to be able to use the parts.

As for the costs you have to add the costs for the resources that the parts can store. Which is a lot of funds for USI-LS.

Just download the older mod and replace the "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Utility/habitat_mk1_g/LandingLeg.mu" and the "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Structural/Adapter/LandingGear.mu" files with the ones from the older version. That should be all. Sorry about the chaotic folder structure. I will have to clean this up some day.

Thank you Nils! To me seems folder structure is very ordered! :D

I mean closed loop (sort of) support, with substrate, water, and organics galore!

It's strange but the combined landing legs/wheels seems to not be working in 2.2, at least for me. I simply can't control them; no forward or reverse. They turn, poorly, but that's it. I didn't have this problem with 2.1.

I mean closed loop (sort of) support, with substrate, water, and organics galore!

Ah okay :) Sorry i misunderstood that.

It's strange but the combined landing legs/wheels seems to not be working in 2.2, at least for me. I simply can't control them; no forward or reverse. They turn, poorly, but that's it. I didn't have this problem with 2.1.

It's was because i reoriented them and this destroyed the symmetry which also affects steering and the motors. This will be fixed with the next update. :wink:

I lately saw a mod spotlight of the Karibou expedion rover mod.

One part it has was a flat bed, or a platform where you could mount verious parts that do not have a other place in your base. Such a part would be very useful in this mod, to mount things on like drills, antennae or all kinds of stuff.

There was another part that I found very interesting, and that was an inflatable emergency habitat. So I thought is there any way to make a counterpart that fold out like the parts in this mod do?

What do you think?

One part it has was a flat bed, or a platform where you could mount verious parts that do not have a other place in your base. Such a part would be very useful in this mod, to mount things on like drills, antennae or all kinds of stuff.

There was another part that I found very interesting, and that was an inflatable emergency habitat. So I thought is there any way to make a counterpart that fold out like the parts in this mod do?

What do you think?

I would love to see more inflatables, especially one that would fit the PBS form factor.

And it would not make this mod 'lose its uniqueness' (LOLWHUT??? :rolleyes:)

Why does everyone want balloons for parts?

Pretty much for the same reasons NASA and various companies do.

Like it or not inflatables are the future and people want them in their games for the same reasons they want other parts which are inspired by real world technologies.

And it would not make this mod 'lose its uniqueness' (LOLWHUT??? :rolleyes:)
The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was being a bit silly about it, was that having this mod include inflatables might make it somewhat redundant when MKS already exists. With that said, MKS inflatables and this mod don't align perfectly so there may be some benefit with including inflatables. So I rescind my original statement. Quonset huts and inflatable should live in perfect harmony!

Nevertheless, this is really up to Nils.

The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was being a bit silly about it, was that having this mod include inflatables might make it somewhat redundant when MKS already exists. With that said, MKS inflatables and this mod don't align perfectly so there may be some benefit with including inflatables. So I rescind my original statement. Quonset huts and inflatable should live in perfect harmony!

Nevertheless, this is really up to Nils.

Of course it's up to Nils.

But if people are going to actively argue against it then I intend for that not to appear to be the only viewpoint that the userbase has. (i.e., if people can speak against it then I'm free to speak for it... amirite?)

Of course it's up to Nils.

But if people are going to actively argue against it then I intend for that not to appear to be the only viewpoint that the userbase has. (i.e., if people can speak against it then I'm free to speak for it... amirite?)

Total agreement. I was just qualifying my own opinion with that last comment. And like I said, I'm onboard for inflatables, now that I had the time to test some things out in-game.

I like the non-inflatable current nature simply because there are other options if you want inflatables right now (and Porkjet has said he'd update his at some point).

I'm fine with inflatables, they are good, too. For this mod, I could see an inflatable hallway connector as pretty useful.

Really, though, any longer term hab would be covered in regolith. I think it would be neat to have a state-change for them maybe if a drill is attached. After operating for some time, the models change to a buried version. Dunno if that would ever be possible.

Pretty much for the same reasons NASA and various companies do.

Like it or not inflatables are the future and people want them in their games for the same reasons they want other parts which are inspired by real world technologies.

3D printing is the future. While they do start with an inflated dome, it's just a form for the building:

http://www.space.com/19602-moon-colony-3d-printing-lunar-dirt.html

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?55098-3D-printed-moon-building-designs-revealed

Other 3D printed buildings don't even need the dome.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2539857/How-3D-printing-help-colonise-moon-Contour-Crafting-technique-build-lunar-bases-astronauts-just-24-hours.html

Edited by Vorg

I will take a look at that mod. Never heard of it before. And also at the ground plate.

Was this other part also in the Karibou mod? What purose did it have?

@tater: A flexible tube like in MKS will come :wink:

I think most people believe that inflatable parts will just be filled with plain air, just like a bouncy-castle. There are many suggestions that they actually will be filled with some kind of foam that hardens and makes the whole structure very stable. Still i'm not a big fan of inflatable parts. Maybe there will be some in the future but none are planned at the moment.

Also read about that 3D printing as well...its an interesting idea.

I looked at the download statistics on Kerbalstuff this morning and am somehow confused now...

The downloads got really high for the first version released on Kerbalstuff. More than 50% of what the latest version has. :confused:

The first version of the mod always had download numbers from ~20 on some days. I always wondered why this was the case. But this big increase in the last days is weird. The other versions seem to be left alone most of the time.

Can someone out there explain me what's so special about the first version that it is downloaded this often? Was there something that worked with it and does not work anymore?

Edited by Nils277

My problem with inflatable parts, is that most people make them look like balloons. If they looked more like hardened structures that just happen to inflate, I wouldn't mind as much. If you do add inflatables, can you make them look like they have some hard structure components to them, and not bubble shaped. That would definitely make them look distinct.

My problem with inflatable parts, is that most people make them look like balloons. If they looked more like hardened structures that just happen to inflate, I wouldn't mind as much. If you do add inflatables, can you make them look like they have some hard structure components to them, and not bubble shaped. That would definitely make them look distinct.

Agreed. That's why I like Porkjet's parts as opposed to ones done for USI which has several that looks like they were squashed along one or two axes and expanded along same. Porkjets have hardened seams and don't squash the hatches and windows.

Why does everyone want balloons for parts?

I see there is some misunderstanding to what I meant by "folding out like the parts in this mod do".

I did not mean my suggestion to be an Inflatable part, yet a part that serve the same purpose as the emergency habitat, that folds out in the campervan-style that is so characteristic for this mod. No inflation involved.

I will take a look at that mod. Never heard of it before. And also at the ground plate.

Was this other part also in the Karibou mod? What purose did it have?

It was called the inflatable emergency habitat.

Can someone out there explain me what's so special about the first version that it is downloaded this often? Was there something that worked with it and does not work anymore?

I think it is more to do with the fact that people grabbed the mod as soon as they saw it (the Kottobos Review vid did it for me) and they won't necessarily have known about the update. You on CKAN? Imagine you'd see greater numbers update then. For me, the latest version is clearly better (apart from the wheels which you've already said you'll fix), so no reason why it shouldn't be just as popular.

Great mod. One of the best, I'd say,

Edited by BinaryBad

I see there is some misunderstanding to what I meant by "folding out like the parts in this mod do".

I did not mean my suggestion to be an Inflatable part, yet a part that serve the same purpose as the emergency habitat, that folds out in the campervan-style that is so characteristic for this mod. No inflation involved.

It was called the inflatable emergency habitat.

It would actually be a nice idea for situations when the rover one made from the parts broke down. Still this part will take a while of added. There are still many other things to add.

I think it is more to do with the fact that people grabbed the mod as soon as they saw it (the Kottobos Review vid did it for me) and they won't necessarily have known about the update. You on CKAN? Imagine you'd see greater numbers update then. For me, the latest version is clearly better (apart from the wheels which you've already said you'll fix), so no reason why it shouldn't be just as popular.

Great mod. One of the best, I'd say,

Your explanation sound reasonable. But even though you wouldn't know about the updates the newest version is downloaded from Kerbalstuff when you simply click download. You must deliberately choose the old version in the changelog to download it. I also checked CKAN and it also downloads the newest version. The idea about the landing-legs sounds also reasonable, but they have been added after the first version :wink:. So the mystery continues....

In the meantime...the progress on RPM support and also it's transparent windows is progressing nicely:

eU7P1Le.png

Still need some time until the next update. I still am full time occupied by my final exams for the next two weeks. Hope there will be something to show you soon after that.

Having multiple transparent pods in the same craft, or indeed within physics range of each other, is one way to get a performance drop. As long as you can't actually see the other pods from the interior of one of them, however, you won't even notice that it won't show the insides of other pods when in IVA. I'd be interested to see how you're handling their retracted states along with the transparent windows. I've yet to ever see an IVA view that animated along with the outside part to reflect a change in dimensions or size.