[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

Awsome garage design. Looks great, not to mention being a strong potential strategic base component. Based on how you said that this part was based on the mk3/ 3.75m sized parts, could one more small thing be added with this part? All im asking for is an up sized model of the K&K bicoupler. Mostly just to ease the challange of transport without things looking too strange. I know you already have a lot on your hands here, so I understand if this is just to much right now. Looking forward to this part.

5 hours ago, Reiver said:

Oh man, I should never doubt your absurd skills, man! That thing is totally and utterly glorious :D

How does it interact/align with respect to planetary bases in flight? It looks like it aligns neatly when using feet, which is awesome in itself... though I hope the next version of the single-module-end-cap will come with the feet so you can skip the feet mount right beside it, right? ;)

Judging by its design, it looks like it's a Mk3 part that's horizontal, yes? Hmm. Going to have to get creative with dropping and docking to it, this should be fun to design around :D

A fairing piece would be pretty handy, yes. Bonus points if it can be mounted to a base as a little mounting platform for stacking stuff onto... if you can pull it off, anyway :) An alternative would be a fairing that somehow has the kit needed to help take a normally-vertical section and ease it over to the horizontal. Either that or we build our spaceplanes sideways, eh? ;)

Given you've nailed that multi-fold direction, I think I'd love to see a little 'flush' garage too, roughly the same size as the service bay folded, but unfolding to a nice flat landing/driving pad. You know, for mini rovers... or for landing rockets on. :D
(It's also a handy place to mount bits when using KIS to reassemble rocketships. Not that I've ever had to jury-rig a rocketship on the roof of a science lab before, for wont of any other open, flat surfaces... Nope nope nope. :P)

I have to agree with you on that last little bit there. Especially for smaller bases, or for bases were payload mass could be a serious choice factor when it comes to putting it together. Plus, it gives me a few ideas for other uses as well. Maybe im coming off as a bit greedy sounding, but I feel this new concept has some serious potential.

On a slightly different note, does the current garage come pre-equiped to connect to the other base parts, or does it need an adapter? If so, could we also see the adaptor.

Edited by daltonater
repeated words.

Hey everyone! Quick question: how do I transfer crew between habitats/buildings? I am running KSP 1.0.4 and I right click on the crew hatches and hold alt but it doesn't work. Come to think of it, the supposedly built in crew transfer working by the same method has never worked for me, not even on stock parts. Any help would be much appreciated. Loving this mod too! I just build my first base on the Mun. Probably way bigger than it had to be, but I wanted to test everything to see how it worked (Life Support adds a whole new level). About to send my first crew of 3 Kerbals up there, hopefully they'll live long enough to I can get some good data to get ready to send an expedition to another planet. Anyway, thanks again!

Victorsaurus: You left click on the hatch (ie, move the mouse near the hatch until you get a little tooltip, then left-click). You will get a dialog showing the kerbals in the part and options to EVA or transfer them.

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

Victorsaurus: You left click on the hatch (ie, move the mouse near the hatch until you get a little tooltip, then left-click). You will get a dialog showing the kerbals in the part and options to EVA or transfer them.

It worked! Guess I was just pushing the wrong button. Thanks!

Hey Nils, have been using your mod since its inception and I love it. Quick question though.

Trying to add TweakScale to your structural parts for some large base building needs (the structural parts satisfy a critical element of my station building). However after trying to add it to each part(fail) and creating a separate config file and putting it in the config folder(fail) I am at a loss at what to do next. I've inspected other mods TweakScale integration and I tried to follow their models.

Any suggestions? I thought to post this in the TweakScale forum but I think I am doing everything right on that end. Thanks!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: Got it! I was a being a dummy with TweakScale and had to fix it there.

Edited by Glaran K'erman
Fixed

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Question: Why does the algae farm for the USI life support mod need ore? Apparently it needs 7.20 ore/hour. Strange a farm would need ore.

Because ore is already a weird resource, and it's in there by default. If you're using other mods, there's a MM patch around that converts everything to the MKS pipeline which makes more "intuitive" sense — I think it's linked in the first post?

On 7.12.2015, 05:00:58, daltonater said:

I have to agree with you on that last little bit there. Especially for smaller bases, or for bases were payload mass could be a serious choice factor when it comes to putting it together. Plus, it gives me a few ideas for other uses as well. Maybe im coming off as a bit greedy sounding, but I feel this new concept has some serious potential.

On a slightly different note, does the current garage come pre-equiped to connect to the other base parts, or does it need an adapter? If so, could we also see the adaptor.

The adapter to the base-profile is already made :wink:

On 9.12.2015, 17:10:14, Glaran K'erman said:

Hey Nils, have been using your mod since its inception and I love it. Quick question though.

Trying to add TweakScale to your structural parts for some large base building needs (the structural parts satisfy a critical element of my station building). However after trying to add it to each part(fail) and creating a separate config file and putting it in the config folder(fail) I am at a loss at what to do next. I've inspected other mods TweakScale integration and I tried to follow their models.

[IMAGE]

Any suggestions? I thought to post this in the TweakScale forum but I think I am doing everything right on that end. Thanks!

[IMAGE]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: Got it! I was a being a dummy with TweakScale and had to fix it there.

Glad you worked it out. I actually never thought about adding support for TweakScale. At least for the normal base parts it seemed weird to make them bigger :wink:

14 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Question: Why does the algae farm for the USI life support mod need ore? Apparently it needs 7.20 ore/hour. Strange a farm would need ore.

Because Ore is the closest one could get to something that can be used as substance to dung the algae. Ideally it should be named "Minerals" or similar. I decided to not add a whole list of new resources to keep the complexity at a reasonable level.
As a side-node: Extracting Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer from Ore also seems a bit weird :wink:

12 hours ago, ModZero said:

Because ore is already a weird resource, and it's in there by default. If you're using other mods, there's a MM patch around that converts everything to the MKS pipeline which makes more "intuitive" sense — I think it's linked in the first post?

Yep it is listed in the first post. But it is not maintained by me so i cannot guarantee that it is up to date with the newest mod version or changes to way algae is used :wink:

6 hours ago, Nils277 said:

As a side-node: Extracting Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer from Ore also seems a bit weird :wink:

Not really :)

Ore != Metals (although most Ores on earth are metallic - though not all are.  For example, Asbestos comes from an ore).  The actual definition of Ore is simply 'valuable stuff extracted from dirt or rock'.  And in the case of KSP, our Ore is modeled after hydrate-rich rock that we can crack oxygen/hydrogen from and transform into valuable fuel products - similar to some of the plans to use asteroids for refueling (and asteroids were the primary use case, but we added planetary support as well since it already existed in the mod I based all of the stock stuff on).  

Go into your back garden, and dig a shovel of dirt.  The second it becomes economically viable to extract stuff from that dirt, it becomes Ore :) And in space - Oxygen and Hydrogen are very valuable commodities indeed!

6 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Glad you worked it out. I actually never thought about adding support for TweakScale. At least for the normal base parts it seemed weird to make them bigger :wink:

Agreed. To start, I avoid adding it to anything with a hatch as a basic rule of thumb. If you really want I could just finish up the config and send it your way. It really does go a long way in terms of design for 2.5m form stations.

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Ore != Metals (although most Ores on earth are metallic - though not all are.  For example, Asbestos comes from an ore).  The actual definition of Ore is simply 'valuable stuff extracted from dirt or rock'.  And in the case of KSP, our Ore is modeled after hydrate-rich rock that we can crack oxygen/hydrogen from and transform into valuable fuel products - similar to some of the plans to use asteroids for refueling (and asteroids were the primary use case, but we added planetary support as well since it already existed in the mod I based all of the stock stuff on).  

Go into your back garden, and dig a shovel of dirt.  The second it becomes economically viable to extract stuff from that dirt, it becomes Ore :) And in space - Oxygen and Hydrogen are very valuable commodities indeed!

.....witchcraft! :0.0:

10 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Nils, just for fun why don't  we create modules that no one has, how about a sickbay, rec center or a bar... You can probably get them to be very high on the tech tree.  Anyways just a note to thank you for your excellent mod

All those additional parts and features can be nice but they can also be lethal. If a mod gets too big people will stop using it. Please don't add too many 'useless' parts to the core mod. If they are made please make them an optional addition.
Of course you can delete unwanted parts. I know how to do it but a lot of people do not. And exactly those are the ones that will blame the mod for causing problems.

1 hour ago, Rafael acevedo said:

you are right maybe we can do so after 1.1 is released and we no longer have the memory problems, or as a separate pack. all games are about immersion a keeping it fresh, so no new mod will be useless. 

Maybe as a seperate mod that is dependent on the current one. Either way, its not really a priority right now, or even for some time from now. Not a bad idea though.

Edited by daltonater

1.1 won't save everything. It will help, for sure, but memory is still memory; loading times are still loading times.

And Nils' time is valuable in itself, even without spending it on fripperies. :)

Serious question for the main man, though: How the heck do you intend to get that garage to other worlds? By definition, it's not going to fit in the space plane, after all... ;)

21 minutes ago, Reiver said:

1.1 won't save everything. It will help, for sure, but memory is still memory; loading times are still loading times.

And Nils' time is valuable in itself, even without spending it on fripperies. :)

Serious question for the main man, though: How the heck do you intend to get that garage to other worlds? By definition, it's not going to fit in the space plane, after all... ;)

Agreed to all especially Nils' time.  What amazing work he has done this far.

Why not store the base in the garage then drive it out.  Will it fit?

Peace.

please don't misunderstand me I know that Nils time is valuable and I am truly amazed with his work. My suggestion somewhat in jest, dealt with the fact that we are somewhat limited through ksp as a whole to a few modules such as habitat, lab, hydro phonics, command And variants thereof.   so seeing something that breaks the pattern would be delightful and make the game more interesting.  Also after seeing Neil's work, his attention to detail and humor on the Iva's he is one of the few modders, I would trust to successfully break this paradigm. I love the game and appreciate the hard work done by the modders who posses skill I do not. :wink: I don't disagree either with the the point made about loading times etc. :cool: 

17 hours ago, Reiver said:

Well, the garage cannot be fit inside the size3 for a spaceplane is it is the size of the spaceplane. The central base hub will also be too big to be stored inside a spaceplane. These parts should be a real challange to be flown to other planets :D (late game ect.)

On 16.12.2015, 01:04:40, daltonater said:

Maybe as a seperate mod that is dependent on the current one. Either way, its not really a priority right now, or even for some time from now. Not a bad idea though.

A rover mod would definitely be in a separate mod. I count myself to the people who have a slight urge to uninstall a mod again when it overwhelms me with too many things at once :wink:

On 13.12.2015, 12:19:11, Dreamixpl said:

This. Is. The bestthingever. Dropping base components from orbit was never this fun.

Huh, if I had a functioning base, this is how I would drop additional equipment, in this case that's life support capacity extension and some converters. Might extend base's life by a few months/years (?). Album:

http://imgur.com/a/edyk0

VARYvmY.png

Looks cool. Is the base finished yet? 

On 11.12.2015, 16:27:26, RoverDude said:

Thanks for this interesting bit of information. I always connected or with metals. It's somehow sad that something like this isn't tought at school...

13 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

please don't misunderstand me I know that Nils time is valuable and I am truly amazed with his work. My suggestion somewhat in jest, dealt with the fact that we are somewhat limited through ksp as a whole to a few modules such as habitat, lab, hydro phonics, command And variants thereof.   so seeing something that breaks the pattern would be delightful and make the game more interesting.  Also after seeing Neil's work, his attention to detail and humor on the Iva's he is one of the few modders, I would trust to successfully break this paradigm. I love the game and appreciate the hard work done by the modders who posses skill I do not. :wink: I don't disagree either with the the point made about loading times etc. :cool: 

Thanks for the kind words :) And yeah loading times are a mess still.

I have thought about spliting up the mod as it is now some time ago. One part with the bases etc and one for the storage system so they could coexist. Also thought about splitting the parts that were added for mods into a third sub-mod...or lets say a mod-suppor- addon so one has more options to decide what to use and what not.

But this would have been a pain to maintain and also would eventually break the mod for everyone that has used it before...so this was not a good idea. But the rover would be in a separte mod.