[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

2 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Dicking the modules can be tricky since terrain and the lack of auto leveling legs, can cause the the modules to be off. Suggestions, that have worked for me. Move to another docking port, raise and lower the legs on both modules and do offsets (such as rising te left side first then the right,) also you can use kas to link the modules and give both the visual and functional appearance of docking, finally just fully exit and restart the game, on more than one occasion I have found the modules docked upon my return or suddenly being able to dock 

*Docking :wink:

This looks awesome, I'll be trying to add it to my game when I get home.  The form factor looks really nice for Constrllation style missions (loading rovers/landing engines underneath the base to land on legs.  Later use Kis to disassemble the stuff under for a flush landed base.

should work well in a ship too.  I'll have to see if it works nicely with mks-lite aesthetically.

On 19.1.2016 at 3:55 PM, davidy12 said:

@Nils277: Is your wifi up and running at your house? 

PS: Just to review, what's going to be in the update besides the garage and the hub.

No, my Wifi was (and ist still not) running. I wrote all the last messages from work. The guy making/fixing the connection is about to come later today....hopefully.
At least i got my pc running last Sunday so i will be able to do some offline work in the meantime.

Scheduled for the next update are:

• Garages
  • Central-Hub
  • Drill for the Base Profile

I will also have to look at the last 10-20 pages to make a list of all the potential bugs so i can fix them
I also will have to check all the supported mods to adapt for changes in them. E.g. USI-LS and Deepfreeze.

On 19.1.2016 at 8:42 PM, daltonater said:

Having done some testing, heres what I have found:

The large stock ISRU can sorta (it does it in a weird way) attach radially to other parts. No part is able to attach radially to the large ISRU though.

One of the inline RCS tanks (FL-R25 RCS fuel tank) cant attach radially to any part of a craft.

Most engines cannot attach radially to other parts. The are exceptions though. The puff, twitch, thud, spider, Twin-boar, goliath, and all solid fuel rockets are exceptions.

I havnt gone into the config files for these parts yet. I simply took a peek in the VAB to test things. Im not great at programming, but its likely theres a piece of information in the config files that is responcible for this behaviour. I hope this information is useful in solving the above mentioned problem.

There is an option in the config that can set whether a part can only be attached on an anttachment point or also on the body of another part. A part can also define if another part can attach on it on the surface. I enables surface attachment on the legs so they are not restricted to the adapters. But i did not consider that the detach is specific for only one node. I have to consider what option is more sensible or find a compromise.

On 20.1.2016 at 1:31 AM, BunnyOmatic said:

Nils,

Excellent mod I have been using it extensively in my latest career and look forward to any and all updates you provide.

I noticed one odd behavior though I don't think its a bug, it sure doesn't change game play. When using the planetary lab as part of a space station whenever I dock and then undock the station changes to a base in the map view. I usually just change it back but I just noticed it again a few minutes ago and wanted to mention it now that I finally registered on the forums. (if this has been mentioned sorry, I didn't see it in the past 50 pages!)

Odd is the best description for that behaviour. Can you offer a log when this happens? I currently can't think of any reason why this should/could happen. 

On 22.1.2016 at 0:23 PM, Whovian41110 said:

Does this provide "mulch" support for USI?

Mulch is included in the support for USI yes. But i have to update it to be compatible with the most recent version of USI.

On 22.1.2016 at 4:02 PM, Tex_NL said:

@Nils277 I have no idea if this is an already known issue but I keep running into the same bug over and over again.
Whenever I move a Kerbal carrying KIS inventory into a K&K Airlock (the end plate version) or K&K Airlock Mid Section (the in-line version) the inventory is deleted. The K&K Corridor Airlock (the smaller tube version) does not have this issue and inventory is not deleted.
Of course one can always EVA through another exit but it's easy to forget. And it's very annoying to run out of tools while surface building things on a distant planet.

Hmm...i will take a look at the config for that parts. Maybe i made a mistake there. Can you post a log file when the this happens? There might be something in there that helps finding the issue.

On 23.1.2016 at 1:39 AM, sh1pman said:

Guys, there is currently no way to make a fully self-sustaining life support cycle with KPBS and USI-LS, right?

Currently it is very hard or impossible to make a completely self-sustaining LS only with the provided parts from this mod. As this was mentioned several times i will look refine them and make it possible to be self sustaining (with the help of ore et least).

On 23.1.2016 at 2:23 PM, Mahagam said:

Is it possible to change inputs proportions at K&K Fuelcell container? All liquid fuel engines & fuel cells consume more oxidizer than liquid fuel. (ratio ~1.222222)

You can look that the config file for the Fuelcell container. One of the modules has the ratios for the consumption. Sorry, i can't exactly tell you the directory now...i will look at home at it and then post it tomorrow from work. 

On 26.1.2016 at 5:06 PM, tater said:

Nils, RoverDude has substantially updated USILS, including a new (optional) system that weights habitats based upon habitability (kerbals need some room to live, which this mod provides nicely!). It also adds wear and tear as a thing (also optional).

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the changes and adapt my mod accordingly. 

On 27.1.2016 at 4:37 PM, TheReadPanda said:

I started playing with this mod just yesterday and I must say I am rather impressed and wish I had spotted this mod earlier! I will definately be playing with this mod more on Twitch in the future. My only concern is the TacLS balancing. That plus for my needs I really need some EPL tie ins but that is my issue and not yours! :D I may tweak some part cfg files to make some parts work a bit with epl better. But... I would love a drill that fit into the bays, like a 2 slot drill that could extend up and out. 

So my dream wish list?

1. Some clearer and easier integration with TacLS (I need to build my flow chart and balance checks for it to see best way to make something self sufficient right now but it seems possible! If you have a source of ore)

2. My request for an integrated Drill system

3. Integration in some way with EPL that will allow me to use some new part from this as perhaps a manufacturing base for Rocket Parts and an EPL surveyor hub. 

That said, awesome work Nils27! I look to playing with these parts on Minmus in serious play to see what I can do with them!

4. PS: I would love an RCS part to be inline similar to the landing engines too!

Hmm...i though about some kind of flow chart for a while now but never had the time to actually do anything in that direction. But it might be a good idea to make something like that. An integrated drill for the container is probably not coming. But i have one with the base profile in the pipeline.

EPL was/is still on the list for the things that will have support sometime in the future. But i can't say when this will be, sorry :(

On 28.1.2016 at 2:28 AM, setrick93 said:

so for some reason, this isn't working for me.. ive downloaded it, and I read the other comments where you said to change the name of that file, and still nothing.. I have:

B9 aerospace pack

docking port alignment

firespitter

circular panel

mechjeb

and synthesizer

could any of these possibly interfere with the working of this mod?? ive been trying different things for the last few days and I'm a little down, due to I want this mod so bad. xD  thanks, in advance.

///////////// I figured it out. I finally found where someone else had the same issue, and they had to pull out the specific file out of the whole download. cant wait to get working on this!!!!

What exactly was the problem and what file had to be deleted to make it work again?

On 1.2.2016 at 4:47 AM, SpaceBadger007 said:

just a quick question, i have two base parts landed on the moon and both have the K&K Docking port but neither of them will dock, why?! 

Hmm...i encountered this bug also with "normal" docking ports. They just refused to dock. But maybe its only an alignment problem. Do they intersect (as if they have no collision) when you try to dock?

33 minutes ago, Beregon87 said:

I love thos mod! Already built a nice ore mining station on Duna surface.

Does anyone know why the K&K combined landing gear was deprecated?

Welcome to the Forums! I also want to know about that... they can still be accessed, and they seem pretty useful...

8 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm...i though about some kind of flow chart for a while now but never had the time to actually do anything in that direction. But it might be a good idea to make something like that. An integrated drill for the container is probably not coming. But i have one with the base profile in the pipeline.

EPL was/is still on the list for the things that will have support sometime in the future. But i can't say when this will be, sorry :(

I'll probably write up some kind of patch to link it in for myself. If I did this would you be interested in including it in the mod? I have a few ideas of how to add this to your existing parts. 

Edit: To clarify I am talking about EPL incorporation, not the flow chart or drills. :D

Edited by TheReadPanda

Nils, the new USILS adds support for "habitability," meaning that while you might have supplies for 100 years for a mk1 pod, no astronaut will put up with being cooped up in that tiny pod for long periods. RoverDude added a habitation value in months (30 day months) for parts like the hitchhiker, and then a multiplier for other parts. He used the part mass as a multiplier for that (which I have changed in my game, it's too much frankly). He also added recyclers, and the science lab got that capability. The greenhouse seems ideal for a multiplier, I think everyone would spend all excess time in there :) .

On 2/3/2016 at 6:44 AM, Nils277 said:

Odd is the best description for that behaviour. Can you offer a log when this happens? I currently can't think of any reason why this should/could happen. 

I actually sort of know why this happens.  It has to do with having a part with VesselType = Base in the part configuration.

I was just experiencing this problem with some of Roverdude's parts over the weekend, I did some research and turned up an old forum post that explains what happens during docking:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/72037-docking-and-vessel-type-rules-0235/

And having a single part on board with VesselType = Base, can cause your station to keep flipping back to that vessel type since it takes precedence over VesselType = Station.  Of course, this then causes problems if your using the Bases & Stations contract pack -- because when your station becomes a base, it sometimes "forgets" you have a station and you get new contracts to launch a "first station."

So, to show a little update, here is what the central hub will look like :D

pMBIGYr.png

Still thinking about how to attach the landing legs on it though :wink:

On 3.2.2016 at 8:06 PM, Beregon87 said:

I love thos mod! Already built a nice ore mining station on Duna surface.

Does anyone know why the K&K combined landing gear was deprecated?

I deprecated them because they are replaced by the other part and are not height-compatible with the normal landing legs.
You can reenable it when you change the line "category = -1" in the "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Structural/Adapter/LandingGear1" to "category = Utility" :wink:

Shoud the old part be reenabled?

On 3.2.2016 at 0:25 AM, TheReadPanda said:

I'll probably write up some kind of patch to link it in for myself. If I did this would you be interested in including it in the mod? I have a few ideas of how to add this to your existing parts. 

Edit: To clarify I am talking about EPL incorporation, not the flow chart or drills. :D

That would be cool. Althogh i would add some fitting parts like a landing pad or the recyler to be more consistent. 

On 3.2.2016 at 0:47 AM, tater said:

Nils, the new USILS adds support for "habitability," meaning that while you might have supplies for 100 years for a mk1 pod, no astronaut will put up with being cooped up in that tiny pod for long periods. RoverDude added a habitation value in months (30 day months) for parts like the hitchhiker, and then a multiplier for other parts. He used the part mass as a multiplier for that (which I have changed in my game, it's too much frankly). He also added recyclers, and the science lab got that capability. The greenhouse seems ideal for a multiplier, I think everyone would spend all excess time in there :) .

Thanks for the info. I'm not quite sure if i like this feature but i will adapt the mod accordingly.

On 4.2.2016 at 8:33 PM, Vexxus9999 said:

may be wrong, but is there a Futurama reference in the OP thread?

sticker,375x360.u2.png

Jep, you are right. If you look carefully at the parts, descriptions etc, you will also find references to other media, like Firefly, XKCD or 2001: A Space Odyssey :wink:

On 5.2.2016 at 0:45 AM, mcortez said:

I actually sort of know why this happens.  It has to do with having a part with VesselType = Base in the part configuration.

I was just experiencing this problem with some of Roverdude's parts over the weekend, I did some research and turned up an old forum post that explains what happens during docking:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/72037-docking-and-vessel-type-rules-0235/

And having a single part on board with VesselType = Base, can cause your station to keep flipping back to that vessel type since it takes precedence over VesselType = Station.  Of course, this then causes problems if your using the Bases & Stations contract pack -- because when your station becomes a base, it sometimes "forgets" you have a station and you get new contracts to launch a "first station."

Sound like a bug on Squads side.

@Mahagam

The config file for the Fuel-Cell is in "PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/FuelTank/tank_fuelcell.cfg" you can change the ratios in the module "ModuleResourceConverter"

Edited by Nils277

Regarding the USILS habitation stuff.

One, I actually like the idea of rating habitats not based upon "seats" but in fact volume, or even the multiplier he added. A "public space" that otherwise has no function makes bases look/feel more realistic, but if they are just dead weight...

A gym might be a good multiplier.

Now the remarks in his cfg say to use the non-habitat (basically parts without beds implied) mass as the multiplier. This is odd to me, but that's what you'd have to do to be compliant. It seems like anyone making a parts mod could instead use the internal volume if that part as a multiplier using some formula (i.e.: perhaps the stock cupola has a multiplier of 1.1 based on volume, then scale to that).

There is also the recycler, which could either be a pod like the other USILS consumables, or the battery parts, or it can be assumed as part of another unit.

13 hours ago, Nils277 said:

pMBIGYr.png

Still thinking about how to attach the landing legs on it though :wink:

She's a DAMN Beauty.

Is your internet back online?

14 hours ago, Nils277 said:

pMBIGYr.png

Looks nice! A few things though...

• Is there an ETA for this update?
  • Will there be in line drills in this updates?
  • Are the docking ports built in in the above thing???
  • EPl support 

Thought of a part that would be nice: an antennae that would be perfectly sized to fit on the new central hub, maybe looking like a smaller version of the antennae at the tracking station. I thought of this since stock antenna relay networks are coming soonTM [Citation Needed]

Edited by ThaZeus
forgetfullnes

30 minutes ago, ThaZeus said:

• EPl support 

Thought of a part that would be nice: an antennae that would be perfectly sized to fit on the new central hub, maybe looking like a smaller version of the antennae at the tracking station. I thought of this since stock antenna relay networks are coming soonTM [Citation Needed]

Remember to read the full post and not just look at the pretty pictures...

First of all, LOVE the mod. However I'm having some difficulties with KIS compatibility. I launched my base in segments, and then went to reassemble it on the Mun, but i can't get the K&K Modular 4X Storage unit to work. I only get attachment nodes on one side of the storage unit, and I can't reconnect my ore container, or any other storage / fuel containers.

node%20glitch%201.png

node%20glitch%202.png

Edited by ZEXI0N

5 hours ago, ZEXI0N said:

First of all, LOVE the mod. However I'm having some difficulties with KIS compatibility. I launched my base in segments, and then went to reassemble it on the Mun, but i can't get the K&K Modular 4X Storage unit to work. I only get attachment nodes on one side of the storage unit, and I can't reconnect my ore container, or any other storage / fuel containers.

node%20glitch%201.png

node%20glitch%202.png

Just to give you Nill's reply as I have had the same issue;

On 2 January 2016 at 6:39 AM, Orisi said:

I've been experiencing a small issue with the mod i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced or has a workaround for;

I'm trying to assemble a pretty cohesive Mun base, and have landed some modules and am trying to re-attach them to each other properly as they came as a few drops. (using KAS/KIS ofc)

So when I have to detach a 4 or 6 cargo pod, I obviously have to remove the containers first. But when I try to reattach them once i've moved the pod, i'm missing attachment nodes on the pod. I can't remember how many I was missing on the 6-pod, but the 4 was definitely missing two nodes; those closest to the reattachment point. Obviously this causes a few attachment issues so I thought i'd ask if anyone else has had this issue trying to mess with bases through KAS and if there's a solution.

A already heard of this problem a few times. I think it most often appereas when therea are multiple stack nodes on a part. Sometimes the game does not register that they are decoupled. The only solution i found was reloading (Or in editor replacing the part with the missing node). I am afraid that i can't do much on that end.

NB I haven't actually tried to resolve mine yet as I've not played since, if you get anywhere replacing the part in editor let me know!

8 hours ago, davidy12 said:

She's a DAMN Beauty.

Is your internet back online?

Well sort of...the connection works but my pc needs a new Wifi Adapter/Usb stick. The old one does not talk to Windows 10 :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Bloody_looser said:

Make integrated legs on the bottom of it?

Hub looks glorious btw. :)

Thought about the same and experimenting with this right now. 

8 hours ago, ThaZeus said:

• EPl support 

A can't currently give an ETA for the update sorry. But i hope to release it withing this month.
The drill is also planned for the update and yes that are docking ports directly integrated in the hub :wink:

2 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Nils I am in awe, excellent central hub.  How does the Iva looks like?

The IVA is still in an early stage. But the top will be for habitation while the bottom is for work, science, control etc.

7 hours ago, ZEXI0N said:

node%20glitch%201.png

node%20glitch%202.png

Jep, as @Orisi already said, this has happended before because KSP sometimes does not register that a node is free again. I have no idea why this happens (it also happens with stock parts, esp. the one with the six nodes). Does it help when you restart KPS and load the save that they reappear?
In the editor one can simply replace the part with a working one, but on flight this is not possible unfortunatly. I have not found a way yet to reenable the nodes through code or by hand. 

Edited by Nils277