[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

Yeah, thought that about telescope as well. Would also be nice to give it at least 15 degrees of fredom in yaw axis - you can't watch stars with it currently. Just model it so that it suggests possibility of such movement - widen up the gap for it a little bit, add some frame perpendicular to the gap inside, barely visible. It can all be just textured.

OK i have a major problem with the wheel/landing leg combo...

the height from ground to floor of the base parts is way too small... also since the wheels don't have tweak-able suspension it's twice as frustrating.

the problem I’m having is that I’m trying to make a mining base in the north pole (near an old abandoned aircraft hanger i used to use) but the hight from the bottom of my base part to the ground is so little that it scrapes along the terrain and blows up...

is there a way to make the wheels not have suspension or make the suspension better? my fully loaded ore carrier makes the wheels useless because of the weight so i have to use other means (like tiny rovers not meant to carry ore...)

EDIT: fyi the hanger i'm building by is on a hill... on a flat surface the wheels are ok but soon as you hit a hill it just buckles then blows up due to scraping

I have problem with KIS Container, I can not find it in the editor, what am I doing wrong?

[LOG 19:07:05.014] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Mod_Support/KIS/tank_KIS/PART'

[ERR 19:07:05.015] PartCompiler: Part config requires value 'name' is defined

[ERR 19:07:05.015] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

This is how I edited the cfg file as per OP:

PART:NEEDS[KIS]

{

// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config

// A tank for KIS storage

MODEL

{

model = PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Mod_Support/KIS/tank_KIS

// --- general parameters ---

name = KKAOSS_KIS_Tank

module = Part

author = Nils277

// --- asset parameters ---

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

You haven't fixed the broken unclosed parentheses.

How it is how:

MODEL

{

model = PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Mod_Support/KIS

How it should be:

MODEL

{

model = PlanetaryBaseInc/Parts/Mod_Support/KIS/tank_KIS

}

OK i have a major problem with the wheel/landing leg combo...

the height from ground to floor of the base parts is way too small... also since the wheels don't have tweak-able suspension it's twice as frustrating.

the problem I’m having is that I’m trying to make a mining base in the north pole (near an old abandoned aircraft hanger i used to use) but the hight from the bottom of my base part to the ground is so little that it scrapes along the terrain and blows up...

is there a way to make the wheels not have suspension or make the suspension better? my fully loaded ore carrier makes the wheels useless because of the weight so i have to use other means (like tiny rovers not meant to carry ore...)

EDIT: fyi the hanger i'm building by is on a hill... on a flat surface the wheels are ok but soon as you hit a hill it just buckles then blows up due to scraping

I know that the ground clearance for the wheels is very small. The problem is that i would also have to make the legs higher when i increase the height of the wheels. I will increase the stiffness of the wheels and lower the max factor they can be compressed. Hope this helps. Does it work without ore? It is really heavy.

We absolutely need 2.5m container bay. Currently I use this fast'n'dirty solution, but it isnn't very part count friendly.

A 4x and a 8x Part are already scheduled for the next update. :wink:

Somehow related to that there is a big question i have been thinking about for a while now:

Would it be a good idea to split this mod up into two mods? One for the base parts and one for the modular storage system

There are really a lot of parts for the modular storage and with the upcoming parts for size2 they would also be usable without the base parts.

There might be some people who want to use the containers, but not the base parts.

I just wanted to ask you before i take any steps in that direction. There will be a poll for this question but i wanted to hear your opinions about that idea first.

Edited by Nils277

Would it be a good idea to split this mod up into two mods? One for the base parts and one for the modular storage system

Meh, the less mod admin the better. Pruning the parts directories is easy enough, just make sure any shared assets are out of the way.

Thanks for the greenhouse hint. I think I'll be getting into USI next.

Splitting sounds like a good idea to me.

Please make a KIS storage part :)

It is already there, but as EdusacconBR said, it needs MM.

But this is not the only problem. The container has a faulty config file in the current release. There is an explanation in the main post how to fix it until the next update ist done.

Congrats, your mod is on modding mondays :D

Wow cool! I really have to look into that thread. :D

This is by far my favorite base building mod and I love what you've done with the life support parts, but there are a couple of errors in the TAC life support cfgs.

Firstly, RESOURCE{Mulch} and RESOURCE{Supplies} are still present in the main greenhouse part cfg, so you have those even if you aren't using USI's life support, which is confusing.

Secondly, in KPBS_MM_LifeSupport.cfg, the TAC Life Support specific entries for both habitats are copy/pasted from the USI section, and so add the unused Mulch and Supplies. Not sure what these should be, but I'm guessing maybe Food and Waste?

Anyway, awesome work and I hope you fix those errors soon so I can finish building my munbase! (Oh, and do those last couple of interiors!!! :D)

- - - Updated - - -

The KIS storage unit does not seem to show up at all cause module manager is there, But it seems to not want to load at all. Period... Could we have a picture of it loaded in somones game?

Did you change the config for the part as described in the main post? It should work then.

This is by far my favorite base building mod and I love what you've done with the life support parts, but there are a couple of errors in the TAC life support cfgs.

Firstly, RESOURCE{Mulch} and RESOURCE{Supplies} are still present in the main greenhouse part cfg, so you have those even if you aren't using USI's life support, which is confusing.

Secondly, in KPBS_MM_LifeSupport.cfg, the TAC Life Support specific entries for both habitats are copy/pasted from the USI section, and so add the unused Mulch and Supplies. Not sure what these should be, but I'm guessing maybe Food and Waste?

Anyway, awesome work and I hope you fix those errors soon so I can finish building my munbase! (Oh, and do those last couple of interiors!!! :D)

Thanks for the find! I will fix this.

I will upload an intermediate bugfix release to fix the errors. Many seem to overlook the part about the KIS container in the main post. It will be better when it works right out of the box again.

It's update time!

This one is mainly a bugfix update to bring back the KIS container and correct the resource definitions for the TAC resources.

It also adds one new IVA.

Changelog:

New IVA:

• Added the IVA for the Command Module

Enhancements:

• Rebalanced the capacities of some of the LS Container (mainly TAC)
  • Reoriented the Landing-Leg and the Landing-Gear, is shoud be way easier now to attach them

Bug fixes:

• Tweaked thermal properties of the adapters, hopefully counteracting the overheating bug
  • Fixed the model definition of the KIS container, it is available again
  • Fixed wrong definition for resources for TAC in the Habitats and the Greenhoues

Attention: After this update the Landing-Legs and Landing-Gear will be rotated inwards on your craft! Make sure to take precautions for this (e.g. detaching them via KIS).

Download:

From KerbalStuff

From CurseForge

Edited by Nils277

I've spent some time with this mod, it has to be the best set of base parts I have ever tried. The Quonset hut shape is just perfect for surface stations that need to be packaged in a rocket or cargo bay, the modularity lets you take exactly what you need and nothing more, and the approach used to make landing engines and perform surface assembly is fantastic. Other part modders should take notice of the proper categorization of these parts in the editor with custom categories, it's a great quality of life improvement.

Sorry to gush, but this mod solves so many of the issues I've had with surface bases (and looks great while doing so!). Great work!

Hey, couldn't you decouple the base parts with Mk-55 Thud engines on 4 sides? like have them on both sides at front and same for back? and land them? Oh, right fuel. anyway to get around that?

I was skeptical due to the weird form factor but putting together a quick base and seeing it unfold on the runway has me sold. I will be using this as the centerpiece of a large Duna base which will figure into my next Elcano, hopefully it's a nice demonstration of the parts. :)

I've spent some time with this mod, it has to be the best set of base parts I have ever tried. The Quonset hut shape is just perfect for surface stations that need to be packaged in a rocket or cargo bay, the modularity lets you take exactly what you need and nothing more, and the approach used to make landing engines and perform surface assembly is fantastic. Other part modders should take notice of the proper categorization of these parts in the editor with custom categories, it's a great quality of life improvement.

Sorry to gush, but this mod solves so many of the issues I've had with surface bases (and looks great while doing so!). Great work!

Thanks! I fell honored! :blush:

Hey, couldn't you decouple the base parts with Mk-55 Thud engines on 4 sides? like have them on both sides at front and same for back? and land them? Oh, right fuel. anyway to get around that?

There is the "Meerkat" part in the engine category that will most certain to what you want to achieve. :wink:

I was skeptical due to the weird form factor but putting together a quick base and seeing it unfold on the runway has me sold. I will be using this as the centerpiece of a large Duna base which will figure into my next Elcano, hopefully it's a nice demonstration of the parts. :)

Cool, i'm curious how it will look :)

Well, I don't care, but people might like it. So far it is the only option of having versatile and memory-friendly containers for life support.

You can also just put two separate folders into the download. THis may be the best option, since most people will install both, but those who car ewill be ble to delete what they don't need.

Oh, and please add those special colliders to IVA windows! And not only to windows, so that we can click on various parts of IVA and move the camera there. Currently some areas of those great models are completely hidden/