[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

OK, I cheated and threw this thing onto the Mun :D

Munbase%20Alpha.jpg

Imagine if it was a cool, public area for a base...

I'm thinking a full-size airlock would basically be like the service bay nearest the camera.

On a tangent, I like the idea of the service bay, but I don't find myself using it much.

Edited by tater

I guess you can also change model using animations, in the same way as Universal Storage does.

I could try making configs for FSmeshswitch.

Both options might work...although at least for the external model, i don't know if FSmeshswitch would also allow the IVA to change.

When using FSmeshswitch is it needed for the model to show properly? E.g. are all variants visible at once when Firespitter is not installed?

OK, not for right now, but here is a crazy part idea.

People have asked in here someplace for a full-size hub. a + where each arm is the size/shape of an undeployed base part. That'd be cool. Another part, strictly roleplaying, really, would be a large hub, perhaps with a greenhouse roof.

Make a 3.75m (5m?) part that is basically a dome (glass can be flat panes with a lot of structure to fit the glass/frame ratio of your greenhouse). Like a giant Cupola part. 2X the height (or more) than your current parts. When you hit deploy, full-sized gangways pop out (ready to accept your normal, inline parts/docking sections, etc.

Here ya go:

Using a 3.75m part:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/tatersw/KSP/3.75%20Base%20Hub.jpg

Using a 5m fuel tank dome:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/tatersw/KSP/5m%20Base%20Hub.jpg

The command pod parts are the ones touching the 3.75/5m tank parts in both images. In this idea those would be hallways/whatever, and would be entirely inside the 3.75/5m part until deployed. They would need integral docking stuff.

If it was the 2d image, there is actually room (in IVA) for a balcony high up in the space. Imagine the blue part is window, there might be a ladder to a "view lounge" with seats looking out (a grate for a floor, just below the blue to let the view into the large, common area below. Hotel-lobby like IVA (potted plants, mixture of comfy chairs and dining tables), perhaps with a small kitchen area on one wall. Would make for some stunning screenshots :)

You are coming up with a very interesting idea! The + shaped base profile part is already in process. A hub like in the pictures you showed sounds really cool.

The only thing that would need some additional coding would be the multiple docking ports. Each docking port adds buttons with the same text to the part which is somewhat anoying and confusing. Thats what i always didn't like about the Habitat Pack. I'll definitely keep this idea in the back of my mind.

With KIS as an assumption, you could always snap the docking ports on.

I landed one using Merrkats as the radial parts instead of command parts for engines/legs. The trick of course is that they were not retracted, ever. With deployable parts, you'd want to land it, THEN deploy, probably. I suppose you could just have the central "lobby" hub, with 4 base-profile flat spots JUST sticking out that the player can attach whatever to. This would allow Meerkats for landing. The very top could be a 1.25 node to allow for a probe core, etc.

Land it, then dock the radial bits as they are delivered.

Could I request a sort of concrete styled base plate that can be attached to a planets surface but is larger and sturdier then the current Concrete base plate in KIS. I love using you mod in ocnjunction with KIS, and love building the base in parts at the project sight, but I either have to stick it to a normal concrete block, or the modded parts (.cfg bashes) explode or just up and vanish with the base and all Kerbals inside.

You know, I really like the idea of the + simply being a little square - that way you can integrate it into a nice long facility:

--+--

And then add the | ones on afterwards with the slow-rollin' rover legs. Mostly, it'd help them fit better into your launch configurations; even if the sides are straight up and down it'd be sufficiently flush to fit into a Mk3 cargo bay or a 2m bicoupler rocket stack. Going substantially bigger is pretty, to be sure, but starts to stretch what's a reasonable rocket launch; I've always admired how this mod managed a grounded approach to launch complexities.

... that said, if it included a 2m circular roof 'attachment point', that'd be a great place to have a greenhouse dome... or a fuel tower... or a cupola... :D

Edit: ...Or if you're playing RemoteTech, the 2m drone that acts as a remote command base! It's always been a struggle finding where to put it; at the hub of a C&C Martian base would be fantastic. ;)

Edited by Reiver

(pic fixed, tell me if it doesn't work)

Made a pretty little base on Minmus in a server, with 2 more players.

723b7a31886e34c5.png

bd9cd2fd173c4474.png

But it was broken because of the lagging... the base was hit and exploded.

Now we're working on a new base.

d371aef5bbd15565.png

And it becomes a twin base:)

2e204772a9f31844.png

p.s. I found a good way to mount drills in a single base size, with MSI installed.(see pic) Looking forward to new drills!

Edited by 01010101lzy

Both options might work...although at least for the external model, i don't know if FSmeshswitch would also allow the IVA to change.

When using FSmeshswitch is it needed for the model to show properly? E.g. are all variants visible at once when Firespitter is not installed?

IIRC you only need to have two models, no need to have two parts.

Also, I doublt it can change the IVA. But can't you just have the same IVA and a hatch in that place for no-airlock version? You don't have internals fo airlock anyways, do you?

- - - Updated - - -

I also like that drill mount. Maybe it would be possible to make similar part?

I've got a little tutorial on how to deploy a base on a planet without an atmosphere WITHOUT a skycrane...

But I got some errors on Imgur sign-up, so I am looking forward for somebody helping me upload it...

Here's the tutorial: (with some mods, TCA is highly recommended)

(IMG HEAVY!)

Build two bases with similar mass, add wheels and engines

8e3365a198a3c81e.png

----

Build a rocket to deliver it

dac215fc140d7c0a.png

---

Launch the rocket into the orbit of your desired planet/moon

3782dcbdf93139dc.png

317a0520518b83f0.png

--

Separate one base part from the main ship

09e8cfc50327375e.png

---

Land it(with TCA balancing the thrust, avoiding flipping)

c02747b1530f64d4.png

dfed580581315822.png

---

Same for the other base

bce3f0f1f8d37d2d.png

22713fac86ece5f7.png

--

Dock and finish!

1d9abb23af91e5a9.png

--

(end)

Edited by 01010101lzy

I can't wait for IVA's on all other parts. I'm getting inspiration for a "The Martian" Challenge.

I'm already working on the last IVA for the Science-Lab :wink:

You know, I really like the idea of the + simply being a little square - that way you can integrate it into a nice long facility:

--+--

... that said, if it included a 2m circular roof 'attachment point', that'd be a great place to have a greenhouse dome... or a fuel tower... or a cupola... :D

Edit: ...Or if you're playing RemoteTech, the 2m drone that acts as a remote command base! It's always been a struggle finding where to put it; at the hub of a C&C Martian base would be fantastic. ;)

Don't worry, the + shaped part will come. It won't be skipped

A part to attach 2.5m parts vertically was suggested before. I think i will add somethin in the future. But it will not be in the next update.

[...]

But it was broken because of the lagging... the base was hit and exploded.

[...]

Looking forward to new drills!

I hope the lagging will be much less after the next update. I managed to simplify the collision meshes a lot. This will probably also take care of collision bugs including the one seen in the Squadcast. I removed most of the thin convex mesh collider and replaced them with a set of box colliders.

Not sure yet about drills coming for the base profile...we'll have to see :wink:

Could I request a sort of concrete styled base plate that can be attached to a planets surface but is larger and sturdier then the current Concrete base plate in KIS. I love using you mod in ocnjunction with KIS, and love building the base in parts at the project sight, but I either have to stick it to a normal concrete block, or the modded parts (.cfg bashes) explode or just up and vanish with the base and all Kerbals inside.

I will take a look at the part from KIS. Maybe i will find way to make a bigger more sturdier one. I hope that the next update will fix some of the exploding bases problems with the new colliders

I've got a little tutorial on how to deploy a base on a planet without an atmosphere WITHOUT a skycrane...

But I got some errors on Imgur sign-up, so I am looking forward for somebody helping me upload it...

Looks pretty cool. Is it just me or do the colors in the last image remind someone else of Google? :D

Edited by Nils277

...I suppose you could just have the central "lobby" hub, with 4 base-profile flat spots JUST sticking out that the player can attach whatever to...

Counterpoint: Who says they have to stick out? Why not stick IN?

http://puu.sh/jWypv/d0be6e63d5.jpg

Without the docking ports, a simple square t-hub fits nicely within 3.75m. With the docking ports, the very edges just barely stick out. Otherwise, they'd have to be all the way out here: http://puu.sh/jWyAS/6824f7dc38.jpg

Something you might consider is some "fairings" on the bottom nodes that lets you stack modules on top of eachother and have support structures appear (or take a leaf from Ven's Stock Revamp and have multiple nodes, one with a fairing and one without). Going along with that idea, the normal T-hubs could have a support structure that appears if you stick something on top of it: http://puu.sh/jWzEy/f617f897f0.jpg

I really like these parts. They have a wonderful aesthetic to them. They even make nifty rovers; though I needed to use Infernal Robotics arms and wheels to get enough ground clearance to avoid bashing my cockpit in.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Counterpoint: Who says they have to stick out? Why not stick IN?

http://puu.sh/jWypv/d0be6e63d5.jpg

Without the docking ports, a simple square t-hub fits nicely within 3.75m. With the docking ports, the very edges just barely stick out. Otherwise, they'd have to be all the way out here: http://puu.sh/jWyAS/6824f7dc38.jpg

Something you might consider is some "fairings" on the bottom nodes that lets you stack modules on top of eachother and have support structures appear (or take a leaf from Ven's Stock Revamp and have multiple nodes, one with a fairing and one without). Going along with that idea, the normal T-hubs could have a support structure that appears if you stick something on top of it: http://puu.sh/jWzEy/f617f897f0.jpg

I was suggesting a "lobby" in addition to a square hub. Nils has said there would be a full-profile hub for a while, so I took something like your picture for granted (it's be nice to have a node right on top, as well).

I hope the lagging will be much less after the next update. I managed to simplify the collision meshes a lot. This will probably also take care of collision bugs including the one seen in the Squadcast. I removed most of the thin convex mesh collider and replaced them with a set of box colliders.

Not sure yet about drills coming for the base profile...we'll have to see :wink:

--

Looks pretty cool. Is it just me or do the colors in the last image remind someone else of Google? :D

In fact I am not going to update it because of the server and "the wheel updating issue" you said... (I will, someday)

The lagging is mainly because DMP's calculation and updating method, which could cause different people's ship colliding into each other before the next update. It doesn't have too many relations to the bounding box...:)

But anyway, the drill mount can be taken in to your consideration, right?

--

Sure it looks like Google in some way... Is it possible to add glowing strips with different colors (for different parts) with texture modifications?

Edited by 01010101lzy
adding details

Actually, that rover reminded me.

Could the cupola be made to have a slightly better impact tolerance? Being at the front, it often gets scrapes and bumps when you're rovering, which doesn't help - but more troublingly, I've found that when the first corner of a base touches the ground, all the parachutes evaporate - which can lead to the thing smacking the ground just while 'settling'. And given you might have been steering the base with the only Kerbal in the base being in the cupola at the time... :(

I get that as a 'cupola' it shouldn't be super-tough, but the actual use-cases for this mod as the only properly shaped 'cockpit' to put Kerbals into (if they don't have a command centre on that particular base segment), it seems like it would be helpful? :)

but the parachutes dont evaporate until you re at 0 m/s :P

I do wish chutes stayed a few seconds to insure the craft was really stopped and not going to fall over or something. Just because you hit 0 m/s for a milisec doesn't mean you are really stopped.