FAR via CKAN Support Thread

Well, I did, a new install with just FAR works just fine. But even using the github version on top of my RO install, it doesn't work. The log just shows:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[Error]: <RI.Hid> Failed to create device file:

1 Incorrect function.

,every time i click the "Calculate Stability Derivatives".

Anyway, I'll try to remove mods one by one to see which one is the culprit.

EDIT: Ok, found it, the Orbital Decay mod is definitely not compatible with RSS at the moment :)

Edited by karamazovnew

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure to manually remove the FerramAerospaceResearch folder in GameData. CKAN won't remove files it doesn't know about, i.e. settings files a mod creates, and that means the folder stays...which messes up everything else if MM patches detect FAR being installed.

• 6 months later...

Howdy!  So, does Ferram4 monitor this thread?  I mean, no activity on this thread for six months?  :'(

I see that CKAN absolutely does not list FAR in any way shape or form for any KSP version.  (If you think it lists it for you, try uninstalling the mod, it'll be de-listed.)

This is perhaps the fourth or fifth mod I've seen this happen to, and there's a lot of chatter on the CKAN thread because of it, but I am coming here anyway because I happen to recall reading that Ferram4 doesn't really "enjoy" the idea of being on CKAN.  So, this mod being de-listed could very well have been intentional, I think.

Yes I know I can install manually, but there are extremely significant drawbacks to running part-CKAN / part-manual copies of KSP.

You will be OK most of the time if let CKAN handle FAR installs. However, key word is "most" of the time, not all time.
So, if you let CKAN handle this mod, when you come with some issue, first thing to check is if CKAN have installed everything properly.

Another issue is that CKAN can't install developer version that might contain fixes for already known bugs and time between two "official" releases vary a lot.
You might end up waiting for several weeks until CKAN update next "official" release version of FAR.

Most important part is if you encounter any issue with FAR, before you report anything to main thread, install FAR manualy in separate KSP instance, with fewest mods as possible, try to reproduce bug with reliable reproducing steps and output log. Only then your bug report is usefull and can help to solve issue. Otherwise, you are on your own figuring out what went wrong.

Lack of activity in this thread is because everything important is said in first few posts. If you are aware of CKAN flaws when comes to (un)install and know how to avoid them, you will be fine.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is because I used CKAN to install FAR, but I'm posting here as instructed.

What am I doing wrong? I've got a brand new game and not that many mods installed, and I noticed that FAR causes the rocket to fly less high and also explode upon landing.

Without FAR, the rocket goes up to 10,200m but with FAR, it tops out at about 6,650m. But what's most alarming is that when the rocket touches back down on Kerbin, the descent speed is 50% higher.

Without FAR, the rocket lands at 6.5m/s. With FAR, it lands at 9m/s and explodes.

Observe.

That's pretty much the only rocket you can build when you first start your career. So why is it that this lands so fast with FAR? Is it because something went wrong due to CKAN? Surely, this isn't by design.

@Recon777, it is nothing wrong with FAR or with install trough CKAN in this case. FAR change how physic work ni game in bunch of aspects, don't expect that things work in the same way as in stock game.

FAR does not deal with sanity of career progress, if everything is balanced well for gameplay purpose, is it too easy or too hard. It just try to change physics in a way to behave close as possible to real life physic with consideration that there is game engine limits and some calculations are more simple than real life thing so everything can be feasible in game world.

As you noticded, you descend more quickly because FAR models air "more rare" compared to stock (most simplified explanation of this), meaning you get less drag with parachutes compared to stock game. But at the same time it also have more complex calculation for supersonic speed, so you get a lot more drag, compared to stock game with speeds over ~300 m/s.

That being said, some tips you can try in early career game:

• remove monopropelant fuel from cockpit on every craft that will not going to use it (perform docking in space)
  • reduce strength on wings/control surfaces, that will also reduce mass. With 0.5 or less you need to pay attention on piloting, 0.6 is more forgiving on piloting mistakes but still can sustain high G turns and decent wing load.
  • Don't forget to reduce thrust on boosters ! Especialy on early craft in career. Flea and first capsule gives TWR of 7 or more, can't recall exact value. You should aim for 1.6 up to 2.0 top for first rocket stage
  • avoid to go supersonic speed below 6km or so, 10km and higher is more prefered for supersonic speed that will not rip your craft apart

And last thing that I can recommend is to try some career altering mods, like SETIctt (link is in signature), Better than starting maned or ETT. There some others, but I can't recall all of names from top of my head. That will give even better overall game experience.

Edited by kcs123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.