[Bugfix Mod] Kerbals Killed when EVAing into ground

The problem I am seeking to mitigate is layed out in the following situation:

1) Command pod access hatch, the place where Kerbals enter and exit, is facing and/or making contact with the ground.

http://i.imgur.com/dJ5RE5t.jpg

2) Kerbal EVA's

3) Kerbal dies

-----------------------------------

Random Uneducated Ideas:

-A plugin to detect when the pod hatch is orientated towards the ground and deny the player the ability to EVA with a popup message until it faces the sky.

-A plugin that would keep track of any Kerbal that EVA's while under a certain speed (say 3m/s so slowly moving pod is included, but not a flying one). If the Kerbal dies within a certain time of EVAing (say 1.5 seconds) while under that set speed then respawn him in the command seat he occupied just moments ago.

-If the game engine has a way of knowing if an object is above or below the surface, then you could teleport the kerbal a few coordinate points away from his craft, and above the surface when it detects the Kerbal going underground.

-----------------------------------

I really have no idea how to solve it or if it can even be solved, but I occasionally lose a pilot like this and its always frustrating. For me its kind of like sending a Kerbal up into space accidentally... sure its easily avoidable but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Thanks for reading this far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.