ResearchBodies [OLD THREAD]

simon56modder

The development of the mod has been taken by @JPLRepo

New forum thread

Thanks a lot for taking the dev of Research Bodies :)

Old download links

CurseForge | SpaceDock

IF YOU ARE UPDATING THE MOD (not installing for the first time) please

DELETE PREVIOUS VERSION COMPLETELY BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONE.

Edited by simon56modder
dev taken by JPLRepo

So this will work with outer planets mod and trans-keptunian? This looks absolutely fantastic

Small question; it looks like this works similarly to the asteroid tracking, right? Would it be possible to do something like with the asteroid day official mod where you have to launch a telescope to find bodies?

So this will work with outer planets mod and trans-keptunian? This looks absolutely fantastic

Small question; it looks like this works similarly to the asteroid tracking, right? Would it be possible to do something like with the asteroid day official mod where you have to launch a telescope to find bodies?

Yes, the mod works with all planets packs.

You can track bodies by clicking the button in the top right-hand corner while in the space center.

Maybe I can do something like the asteroid day official mod !

Edited by simon56modder

This is a neat idea. Suggestion, maybe the mod gui could be made available only in the tracking center. Much like with tracking asteroids? I think you hinted at above, but using the system for being able to track asteroids would be neat as well. Heck you might want to do something around upgrades to the tracking center adjust the costs for researching the bodies (the better your tracking station the less time and cost to research and track bodies)

This is a neat idea. Suggestion, maybe the mod gui could be made available only in the tracking center. Much like with tracking asteroids? I think you hinted at above, but using the system for being able to track asteroids would be neat as well. Heck you might want to do something around upgrades to the tracking center adjust the costs for researching the bodies (the better your tracking station the less time and cost to research and track bodies)

Excellent idea ! I'm working on about all the stuff you purposed, except for the asteroid-alike tracking method, because I think it's not possible.

May I suggest making eve, moho, duna, and jool accessible initially? those planets visible to the unaided eye would probably be known to the kerbals from antiquity, much like their earth counterparts.

May I suggest making eve, moho, duna, and jool accessible initially? those planets visible to the unaided eye would probably be known to the kerbals from antiquity, much like their earth counterparts.

You can enable those !

Go to the config file, and add a line in the 'IGNORE' section (at the end of the config file) for each body you want to unlock at start.

Example with Eve :

IGNORE
{
body = Kerbin
body = Mun
body = Sun
body = Eve
}
}

Ok, I was just testing this mod, and I had some- interesting occurrences, particularly in regards to Kopernicus planets (I have OPM installed on this save).

After figuring out how to discover new planets, I immediately began research. First, my Kerbs discovered Minimus.

Then, they discovered Tecto in it's orbit of Sarnus. Not that unreasonable, as it's the biggest moon, and it wouldn't have been inposible to find both before Jool.

Then, they found Tal, in it's orbit of Wal, without finding Urlum first!

Then they found Polta, and Urlum as a result.

Then they found Ovok.

Then they found a world I created to mess around with Kopernicus textures.

Then, they found, finally, Eve, and Duna.

Feeling creative, I hyper-edited a probe into Sarnus orbit and set up an encounter with Eeloo. However, most astrophysicists of Kerbin still seem convinced that Eeloo is a class-C object.

It's a great idea and a wonderful mod, but I think some of the which-planet-is-found-first logic could be improved upon.

It's a great idea and a wonderful mod, but I think some of the which-planet-is-found-first logic could be improved upon.

Don't worry, I sent a message to CaptRobau, he will include the priority file in his mod in the next release. So you should discover Jool before Sarnus.

I think I sould also modify a bit my priority system.

The problem with Tal, Wal and Urlum is that when you click research and that the random result is Tal, it figures out which Celestial body Tal is in orbit of, and if this orbited body is not yet tracked, it tracks it both with Tal, but the system doesn't go further ! That's why Urlum wasn't found. I have to improve this too.

Your PM didn't do it justice. This is a great concept!

Might be an idea to couple this to the new asteroid telescope added in that official mod. Would be cool to have to send up telescopes to discover anything beyond the big planets and moons.

Also, could you not be able to see the far side of the Mün (and other tidally locked bodies) initially and also pictures of other planets would be blurry until you send a probe out to visit them?

Also, could you not be able to see the far side of the Mün (and other tidally locked bodies) initially and also pictures of other planets would be blurry until you send a probe out to visit them?

That's a nice idea, but I think it's long and hard to do... I'll see, why not ?

I've been thinking about this, or something like it, for SCANsat, or more likely as a SCANsat addon.

Basically it would be a few more scanning parts for the visual range coupled with some kind of blurring overlay for each planet (that could then have other SCANsat overlays drawn on top of it). Some kind of default settings would be provided for each planet (full view of Kerbin, full view of the Mun's near side, a partially blurred view of Minmus, etc...) to allow for custom starting conditions.

To that end, does this mod have any kind of public API? Something that would allow for a very simple, external method of saying, Duna has been discovered, Moho has not been discovered, etc... That kind of information could be useful for setting the visibility state of each planet.

Wow this is amazing! Is it possible to change the priorities of stock planets too? As my pack New Horizons changes their locations so I would love if it's compatible. If so then I'll make sure there's a priority .cfg in my next update!

Wow this is amazing! Is it possible to change the priorities of stock planets too? As my pack New Horizons changes their locations so I would love if it's compatible. If so then I'll make sure there's a priority .cfg in my next update!

I think you saw the How to make a mod fully compatible section on the main post. If not, check it before !

So in the priority list of your config file, you can override values by writing '*' before the body name like that :

PRIORITIES
{
*StockBody = NewValueForStockBody
}

But if bodies are totally renamed using Kopernicus, I think you won't need to add '*'

I've been thinking about this, or something like it, for SCANsat, or more likely as a SCANsat addon.

(...)

To that end, does this mod have any kind of public API? Something that would allow for a very simple, external method of saying, Duna has been discovered, Moho has not been discovered, etc... That kind of information could be useful for setting the visibility state of each planet.

It is not yet public, but you'll be able to access a Dictionary<CelestialBody, bool> by having the plugin has a reference. So

ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.EnabledBodies[CelestialBody]; returns a boolean value.

Edited by simon56modder

This is awesome. Question (I'm about to install it to find out anyway, but I'll ask here too). Will the game still offer contracts (like Explore Duna etc.) - if the body hasn't been discovered?
No, the mod doesn't remove these contracts. I didn't think to that ! I'll have to work on that. Thanks :)

Development status :

I've worked on the Asteroid Day-alike feature so you can track bodies from a vessel in orbit.

There are still two things to do for that :

Choosing the part : do I make Asteroid Day as a dependency (the better choice for me) or do I create a new part ?

Having a better logic : find bodies next to the probe before others !

The internal logic for default tracking process in the space center has been improved.

OuterPlanetsMod and New Horizons mods will include working config files for ResearchBodies.

I want to release v1.1 tomorrow (july 3rd) so I have to target a precise work.