ResearchBodies [OLD THREAD]

simon56modder

Agreed on the greatness of the mod. If research cost were tied to "difficulty," I hope it would scale. Kopernicus allows not only for modded planet packs, but also the repositioning of Kerbin itself. In my career, Kerbin starts as a moon of a gas giant that is two planets further out than Jool -- this planet is roughly an analog to Uranus, I think. I'd hope that any cost-scaling would be able to reflect new readings, since Minmus is now way down near Moho, I think.

Maybe scale the cost with distance from the telescope. Doing it that way would allow you to deploy it in other orbits for reduced science cost for those really far out planets.

For now nothing happens but it would be great to auto-discover it.

Yes this would be amazing with addition of some new scientific instruments. E.g. you could send probe to Jool and use it to look for its moons :)

• 2 weeks later...

Becoming one of my can't do without mods. However, startup of 65 funds and 25 for each step with 50 science award at conclusion is very cheap science.

I would suggest making it more substantial investment. Perhaps numbers around say 10000 to 45000 depending on the level and 500 to 5000 for progression. Just a thought, it makes the career aspect a little more challenging.

Edited by theersink

Becoming one of my can't do without mods. However, startup of 65 funds and 25 for each step with 50 science award at conclusion is very cheap science.

I would suggest making it more substantial investment. Perhaps numbers around say 10000 to 45000 depending on the level and 500 to 5000 for progression. Just a thought, it makes the career aspect a little more challenging.

For now if you want you can change these values in the config file called 'database.cfg', you'll find the values easily :)

Note that the research plan start cost is StartResearchCosts value + ProgressResearchCosts value, whereas stop research plan is only StartResearchCosts : this will affect new game saves, but the save files that already have been started at least once won't be affected by this changes.

If you want to change the values for an existing save game, go to its folder (KSP/saves/<save name>) and open up the researchbodies.cfg save file and edit the values you want ! (do not touch difficulty value however !)

For now if you want you can change these values in the config file called 'database.cfg', you'll find the values easily :)

Note that the research plan start cost is StartResearchCosts value + ProgressResearchCosts value, whereas stop research plan is only StartResearchCosts : this will affect new game saves, but the save files that already have been started at least once won't be affected by this changes.

If you want to change the values for an existing save game, go to its folder (KSP/saves/<save name>) and open up the researchbodies.cfg save file and edit the values you want ! (do not touch difficulty value however !)

Hmmm, I thought so but when I changed the values the mod awarded me like 10000 science when I fully researched a planet so I reverted them back. I may have adjusted something I shouldn't have but I think I adjusted just the fields you referred to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How would you address something that would Reparent the Kerbol System, such as Galactic Neighborhood and the like, it no longer displays the planets in your system as hidden. Is there some configuration for this?

Also, I'm having -serious- overheating issues with the telescope.

Edited by Alkahest

• 5 weeks later...

does this work in 1.0.5? Also, I can't find this on CKAN but it was supposedly listed a month ago? I'm really interested in giving this a shot! My friend and I are settting up a "space race" and being "first to discover X planet" seems like a good goal we can add to the list of things to accomplish during the playthrough

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it works... FYI.  I was in contact with Simon56Modder back in November last year and had completed changes for this mod and my TarsierSpace Tech telescope mod to be fully compatible with each other when the whole Paris incident occurred. I know Simon was impacted by this tragedy and he has not been logged on since November. Thoughts with all those impacted by this despicable act. Let's hope he is back on the forums soon.

I'm back after more than a month of absence...

ResearchBodies is compatible with 1.0.5.

I'm going to update the mod as soon as I can in order to implement JPLRepo's code, so he will be able to create a nice compatibility between ResearchBodies and TST !

8 hours ago, simon56modder said:

Update 1.6
*Added JPLRepo's code in order to make a compatibility between TST and ResearchBodies
*Tweaked telescope stats
*Builded with 1.0.5
*Happy new year

Yes it's now official. Thanks @simon56modder for updating this great mod.
I have just released V5.8 of TarsierSpaceTech (TST) mod which fully supports and integrates with this mod. If you have ResearchBodies and TST installed then for TST:-
TST Telescope and ChemCam contracts will NOT generate for bodies that have yet to be discovered.   
If you take a picture with a  ST Telescope of a body that is yet to be discovered AND transmit/recovery it, it will become discovered.   
Subsequent pictures taken and transmitted/recovered of a already discovered body will add 20 research to that body.   
The TST Telescopes can also act the same as the ResearchBodies telescope, 
IE: they have the Research button in their right click menu and will discover bodies they are pointed at in the same way as the ResearchBodies telescope does.   
The TST GUI camera-window "Show Bodies" list will NOT show un-discovered bodies or galaxies.

Edited by JPLRepo

I just installed with CKAN, and started a fresh game, but all the planets are showing up in the tracking station (* started new Custom Career with lots of funds and science to test this mod), and no mod icon in top right.

Next step is to uninstall with CKAN and install it by hand, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue?

Edit:   Manual install same result, are there any known incompatible mods?

Edited by rottielover
update

1 hour ago, rottielover said:

I just installed with CKAN, and started a fresh game, but all the planets are showing up in the tracking station (* started new Custom Career with lots of funds and science to test this mod), and no mod icon in top right.

Next step is to uninstall with CKAN and install it by hand, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue?

Edit:   Manual install same result, are there any known incompatible mods?

Possibly... Logs help though. I installed the new version today and tested it with my TST mod and it all worked fine...

If you need the full logs please let me know, but I was able to find a couple of these:

[LOG 20:22:29.532] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,ResearchBodies-TSTWrapper,Attempting to Grab TST Types...
[LOG 20:22:29.534] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,ResearchBodies-TSTWrapper,TarsierSpaceTech Version:5.6.0.0
[LOG 20:22:29.535] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,ResearchBodies-TSTWrapper,Got Assembly Types, grabbing Instances
[LOG 20:22:29.535] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,ResearchBodies-TSTWrapper,Got Instance, Creating Wrapper Objects
[LOG 20:22:29.536] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,ResearchBodies-TSTWrapper,Getting CBGalaxies field
[EXC 20:22:29.537] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ResearchBodies.TSTWrapper+TSTAPI..ctor (System.Object a)
	ResearchBodies.TSTWrapper.InitTSTWrapper ()
	ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.Start ()
[LOG 20:22:29.541] StockBugFixPlusController.Start(): v00.12
[LOG 20:22:29.568] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Searching for KER
[LOG 20:22:29.568] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,Attempting to Grab KER Types...
[LOG 20:22:29.571] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Searching for VOID
[LOG 20:22:29.571] 1/27/2016 8:22:29 PM,KerbalAlarmClock-VOIDWrapper,Attempting to Grab VOID Types...
[LOG 20:22:29.575] WaypointManager 2.4.3 loading...

[WRN 20:22:50.171] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPACECENTER to MAINMENU (Async) =====================
[LOG 20:22:50.172] 1/27/2016 8:22:50 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Scene Change from 'SPACECENTER' to 'MAINMENU'
[LOG 20:22:50.765] 1/27/2016 8:22:50 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Removing DrawGUI from PostRender Queue
[LOG 20:22:51.040] Parsing string
[LOG 20:22:51.040] Parsing vector2
[LOG 20:22:51.041] Parsing double
[LOG 20:22:51.041] 1/27/2016 8:22:51 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Destroying the KerbalAlarmClock-KACSpaceCenter
[LOG 20:22:51.042] 1/27/2016 8:22:51 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,API Cleaned up
[LOG 20:22:51.043] CactEye 2: Debug: Application Launcher Button destroyed!
[EXC 20:22:51.043] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (.ApplicationLauncherButton button)
	ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.OnDisable ()
[LOG 20:22:51.568] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'Loader' from assembly 'DynamicTextureLoader'
[LOG 20:22:51.570] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KISAddonCursor' from assembly 'KIS'
[LOG 20:22:51.570] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'KISAddonPickup' from assembly 'KIS'
[LOG 20:22:51.572] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'SMAddon' from assembly 'ShipManifest'
[LOG 20:22:51.573] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'StageRecovery' from assembly 'StageRecovery'
[LOG 20:22:51.575] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'StockBugFixPlusController' from assembly 'StockBugFixPlusController'
[LOG 20:22:51.576] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'TSTMstStgs' from assembly 'TarsierSpaceTech'

6 hours ago, rottielover said:

And my apologies...  This appears to be a ckan failure.

On a hunch I manually updated TarsierSpaceTech , and volia, all is working fine again.

yep. Was about to say.. update TST to 5.8, you were on 5.6. Glad you figured it out.

For everyone else, if you want TST and ResearchBodies to play together you need version 1.6 of ResearchBodies and version 5.8 of TST.

Edited by JPLRepo

21 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I am guessing that this question has already been asked and answered and I do apologize.  If I am a little ways into a career and have only been to the Mun and Minmus, can I still install this mod?

Yes of course you can, and since there are difficulty options you can choose the one you like - which makes Minmus discovered from start (Mun is always discovered from start)

23 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

That is a smashing idea, I didn't think about using  TarsierSpaceTech  to help "locate" them as part of the research?  Sorry, I am very late to this part and I just installed this mod.

I don't really understand what you're talking about with "them"

"Them" as in the unknown planets?  I was making an assumption that having a very powerful space telescope, would help you locate "them" a little easier?  Or, do I not fully understand this mod?

My install of the mod was in mid career, but have only been to the Mun and Minus, I have not traveled outside of that.  However; I can see [via map] Eve and Duna and Jool.

Again, I was assuming that with a telescope, I might get a contract from TST to locate them?