ResearchBodies [OLD THREAD]

simon56modder

Development status :

Telescope model finished ! I've finished all the Asteroid day-alike feature actually.

The telescope will scan the sky and find bodies near it before others. It can track bodies up to 75 million kilometers away from the telescope.

The Asteroid Day Sentinel telescope will also be compatible, so you'll be able to use it to track bodies too.

To force missions using the telescope, the tracking using the telescope is easier and chiper than using your tracking station. Otherwise nobody should send a telescope, uh ?

- - - Updated - - -

Pics ;)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Development status :

Telescope model finished ! I've finished all the Asteroid day-alike feature actually.

The telescope will scan the sky and find bodies near it before others. It can track bodies up to 75 million kilometers away from the telescope.

The Asteroid Day Sentinel telescope will also be compatible, so you'll be able to use it to track bodies too.

To force missions using the telescope, the tracking using the telescope is easier and chiper than using your tracking station. Otherwise nobody should send a telescope, uh ?

- - - Updated - - -

Pics ;)

http://imgur.com/a/abAvE

Id be interested in discussing teaming up my Tarsier Space Technologies Continued... With this mod. I've had on my list tracking actual pictures taken with TST for the different sides of bodies.. This is kind of the piece before that. Actually finding them first. Well done.

UPDATE 1.1 :

• Added TB-75M Telescope part
    • tracking using the telescope does not cost science/funds!

[*]Improved tracking process

• better internal logic
    • tweaked priorities
    • harder than before

[*]Reduced science cost

[*]The higher your tracking station level the better the tracking process is

[*]Added ModuleManager (for AsteroidDay official mod compatibility)

Download from 75px-Curse%2C_Inc_Logo.png

Source code included

so i have my config for New Horizons all wrote out fine and it works perfectly....well, almost...is there a way i can remove Mun from the ignore list without having to edit the database.cfg? I can't seem to figure out a way. If you're unaware of my pack, Kerbin orbits a gas giant along with Mun and a few other bodies, and having Mun show up is not something I want.....

it works perfectly....well, almost...is there a way i can remove Mun from the ignore list without having to edit the database.cfg?

Unfortunately it is not possible at the moment, but will be implemented in the 1.2 release.

Cool, cheers man. I'll make sure it's there. Thanks!

I can't set this up now because I'm not at home but I already figured out how to do that and it's really easy.

Development status:

The 1.2 version will be available this sunday afternoon. First it includes the possibility for modders to remove bodies from the stock ignore list (see my conversation with KillAshley above).

The tracking UI in the tracking station will be improved.

It will also bring some tweaks for the TB-75M telescope.

It will also include a preparation for a new feature : observatories on ground (not much to say about it since it's only an idea for the moment and a bit of code in my head)

Edited by simon56modder

This sounds amazing! :)

Getting an error trying to research any bodies from the space center. The space telescope view comes up and unable to do anything with it apart from moving it around to view it all. Log does produce an error relating to this:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[CelestialBody,System.Int32].get_Item (.CelestialBody key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.DrawWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by JeffreyCor

Getting an error trying to research any bodies from the space center. The space telescope view comes up and unable to do anything with it apart from moving it around to view it all. Log does produce an error relating to this:...

Have you any other mods installed ?

yes several. Here is the full log to try and narrow down the conflict.

It looks like it just isn't checking if the key is actually in the dictionary before accessing it. It's always a good idea to check if something is in the dictionary before accessing it, adding it, or deleting it. These dictionary key errors pop up all of the time when that doesn't happen. Why the dictionary doesn't have that key is another matter.

No, the mod doesn't remove these contracts. I didn't think to that ! I'll have to work on that. Thanks :)

Since you'll probably have to reject contracts after they are generated you'll need to figure out the target planet for each one; this can be rather nasty.

There is no Celestial Body field in the base contract class, and every type handles it differently. I've been using this ugly looking thing to assign celestial body targets to each contract. When it fails, and with all addon contracts, the only real option is to check the contract title for the body's name. Most of the time it works well enough, but there aren't clear ways of determining the target planet for some contract types.

This is a cool idea, but I just had a total gamebreaking lockup. I started a new career and went to the tracking station. I clicked on the little satellite-looking icon and a gray window displayed. This totally locked up all the other buttons, including the button to leave the tracking station. After a lot of playing around, I eventually had to just control-alt-delete and kill KSP. That's a problem.

How does the new UI work for tracking bodies? I just see a cool looking window with little bars to move around in the space picture.

Click somewhere in space ;) but there is a problem with that so I'm publishing a hotfix.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a cool idea, but I just had a total gamebreaking lockup. I started a new career and went to the tracking station. I clicked on the little satellite-looking icon and a gray window displayed. This totally locked up all the other buttons, including the button to leave the tracking station. After a lot of playing around, I eventually had to just control-alt-delete and kill KSP. That's a problem.

Yes I know this problem, but I think it is due to KSP, not the mod. You have to press ESCAPE to get out of the trackkng station, or you can also focus an already-discovered body using TAB and the Back button should work again.

Edited by simon56modder

Yes I know this problem, but I think it is due to KSP, not the mod. You have to press ESCAPE to get out of the trackkng station, or you can also focus an already-discovered body using TAB and the Back button should work again.

Yeah, but I had no "already-discovered" bodies. Even Kerbin was not discovered (which seems wrong!). Maybe I should have tried escape, but it didn't occur to me.

How is someone supposed to discover a body, anyway? I thought you were supposed to be able to spend funds and science at the tracking station, but I couldn't see how.

Yeah, but I had no "already-discovered" bodies. Even Kerbin was not discovered (which seems wrong!). Maybe I should have tried escape, but it didn't occur to me.

How is someone supposed to discover a body, anyway? I thought you were supposed to be able to spend funds and science at the tracking station, but I couldn't see how.

Oh, and by the way, that little satellite icon I didn't understand? I guess that must be from Remote Tech. I'm playing that for the first time too, and I don't know how to use it yet.

- - - Updated - - -

ps. Now that I read the instructions on the first page of this thread, I see I'm not supposed to use the tracking station for this at all. My bad, I guess. But FYI it might be better if the mod was a little more intuitive to use....

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE 1.2.1:

• Hotfix

Ah.

With 1.2 Kerbin itself was an unknown body, but with this 1.2.1 version now Kerbin and Mun start as discovered, like they are supposed to do.

Hey, great mod, but how do you actually discover the planets? I just started a new career to test this, cheated in a few million funds/science, upgraded tracking center to max, and then clicked through thousands of funds on the window and didn't discover anything. Not even Minmus. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, I didn't post any specs or mods earlier as I assumed it was something I was doing incorrectly rather than a conflict. Upon further testing I'm finding that when i click the star field I'm getting this in my debug:

[EXC 21:16:55.446] KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[CelestialBody,System.Int32].get_Item (.CelestialBody key)

ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.DrawWindow (Int32 windowID)

UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I have a bunch of mods installed. Sorry, new to posting on the forums, cant figure out how to do one of those bold spoiler links that expand into a log yet. I'm scanning the forums to figure out how. Will post log when i figure out how. Dont want to post the whole log.

Hmm, I didn't post any specs or mods earlier as I assumed it was something I was doing incorrectly rather than a conflict. Upon further testing I'm finding that when i click the star field I'm getting this in my debug:

[EXC 21:16:55.446] KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[CelestialBody,System.Int32].get_Item (.CelestialBody key)

ResearchBodies.ResearchBodies.DrawWindow (Int32 windowID)

UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I have a bunch of mods installed. Sorry, new to posting on the forums, cant figure out how to do one of those bold spoiler links that expand into a log yet. I'm scanning the forums to figure out how. Will post log when i figure out how. Dont want to post the whole log.

Try installing version 1.2.1. If you still get this problem, can you give me your full log ?