Typhoon Class Missile Submarine (Red October) New BD Armory Edition!

PSA: It is recommended that you listen to this

​while reading this thread. Thank you.

When playing a game centered around peaceful exploration of the stars and research of other planets, it is only logical to build a large vehicle capable of dealing death to anyone within several miles of it in an instant. That's why I made this:nYla8A8.png

The Typhoon Class Missile Submarine!

Typhoon Class Submarine by KME on Sketchfab

Of course, submarines in Kerbal Space program aren't really useful or practical, because the oceans were made by dumping several million tons of blueberry flavored instant Jell-O mix into some water. Nevertheless, I made this, and it doesn't explode very much, so that's good.

The submarine features eight guided missiles in their own individual tubes, and a small but detailed interior to give you the feeling that you are really inside a submarine. The sail also has a small observation post on it for your brave crew to get a breath of fresh air after long periods underwater. I'm kidding, this thing can't dive at all. It's fun for roleplay though!

Here, have some more pictures of the submarine. These were taken during the sea trials of Typhoon-01 Blue November, Captain Malcolm Kerman commanding.JOkUiOv.pngCaptain Malcolm Kerman peers out from the observation deck on Blue November's sail.

zPAqFYk.pngFirst Mate Jeb shows the photography crew the sleeping quarters. The crew will often have to share bunks due to limited space. half the crew sleeps at night while the other half sleeps during the day. Not that they can tell whether it's day or night while the sub is underwater. :P

t0XqQVb.pngThe main control room seats six crewmembers and the captain. It's difficult to see in this photo, but Captain Malcolm Kerman is using the periscope to make sure no other ships are around to watch Blue November dive.

YXMcoL8.pngThis thing is really slow. It's top speed is 6.4 m/s, so don't expect to get far with this.

GP0BlMK.jpgEven if you have the patience to wait out the long trips with the sub, you still have to watch it. It loves to tilt from side to side while the engines are running, and one time it capsized while I wasn't looking.

IZa9694.jpgAlright, here's the big feature, the missile deck. :cool:

IGYtCqR.png"Captain, we have been ordered to fire at these coordinates!"

WBWoiGu.png"Flooding tube No.1" This has to be done because the game doesn't allow engines to fire while in a closed cargo bay, it counts them as stowed parts.

FfERXgp.png"Missile ignition!"

mOsZVYU.pngAltitude increasing!

Ta4v6L6.pngMissile has acquired target coordinates and is proceeding to home in on them.

JeHXysL.pngMissile is in final descent phase!

xGs4RTH.pngWarhead is armed...

sUBOU0b.jpgDetonation detected!

The submarine has several places to store crew before launch. A lander can opens up to the interior to allow crew access. To fill the interior, take the Kerbal who spawned in there and place him in the desired seat in the control room via EVA. Then transfer another Kerbal into the lander can and put him in another seat. Repeat this until all Kerbals are inside the control room. The other crew pods are located on top of the sail, in the nose of the sub (escape trunk), and in the tail. It is recommended that the middle seat is filled last, as it has been known to obstruct the hatch when a Kerbal is in it.

I used a KerbinSide launch site to get the sub into the water, but you could possibly use Hyperedit. Hell, you could even do something like this:

tpwh0Cf.pngBe careful if you do this though.

Missiles are set up to fire in groups of two, but I normally fire them one at a time. Remember to open the Mk 2 cargo bay and click Control From Here on the missile's probe core. For best range, wait for the missile to clear 2,000 meters before turning it towards the target.

That's all you need to know about the Typhoon! KerbalX DL: http://kerbalx.com/pTrevTrevs/Typhoon-Class-Submarine

NEW! Want real cruise missiles instead of my stock ones? Well Now you can have them! Kerdinand has kindly created a BD Armory variant of the Typhoon, which is available here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114591-Kerbal-Military-Engineering-BD-Armory?p=2059185#post2059185 (Kerdinand also made the Sketchfab model at the top of this post)

I'd love some feedback on this craft, and make sure to leave some rep if you enjoyed! :)

Edited by pTrevTrevs

This is awesome! And yes, I too recommend the music while reading about your ship. Great job! I'm still figuring out how to attach objects to the floor of the Mk3 large cargo bay... nothing seems to connect to the floor!

This is super dope dude. Now we have jets, tanks, and subs. Wasn't there a mod back in the day that let you go under the surface?

Thanks! Yep, I think it was Hooligan Labs that let you go under the surface. Boat Parts also had something for submarines too, but I've never extensively used either of those mods.

Wow, this is beautiful. Excellent work on the interior!

Thanks, man. I wonder if I could make a living designing KSP vehicle interiors out of stock parts?

Nice! This really... blows mine out of the water! Nice job! +rep

I've got to give you some credit, after all, it was your submarine that inspired me to build this, and I borrowed a lot of ideas from it, like the missile tubes and the interior.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

....and a sketchfab model:

Try to ignore the open rear bay, the open missile tubes and the broken fairing nose.

Many thanks for the sketchfab model! Although I'm not sure how to embed it into the OP...

You have inspired me to make a TRUE Red October mod. Now, if I could figure out how.....

Here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/3232-Part-Modding-Tutorial-1-4-Modeling

Edited by pTrevTrevs

You click on "view on sketchfab" in the bottom right corner. In the new window you hit "embed", then "BBcode" and then just copy&paste the upcoming text in your OP.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.