[1.1.2] Part Commander - Quick access to part right-click action menus [v1.1.1 - May 6, 2016]

seanmcdougall

Tired of playing "sniper" trying to access a part's right-click menu while hurtling through space? Ever wish you could access those options while in IVA or Map View? Don't feel like setting up action groups for everything? Then Part Commander is for you! Part Commander consolidates all the right-click menus from parts on the active vessel into a single interface (with the optional ability to "pop off" selected parts into their own windows if you wish).

Current Features

• consolidates all right-click menus into a single resizable, movable, scrollable window.
  • optional ability to pop off parts into their own windows for monitoring
  • "Symmetry Lock" feature lets you control all parts within a symmetry group at once. Displayed values are obtained from the "primary" part.
  • part highlighting so you know which part(s) you're affecting. With symmetrical parts, the primary one is highlighted in orange and the rest in yellow.
  • works in both IVA and Map views.
  • stock and blizzy78 toolbar support.
  • persistent storage of window locations/sizes and selected parts per save
  • filter and sort the part list
  • hide "unactionable" parts
  • toggle resource/temp/aero info display
  • configurable hot key (defaults to Mod+P)

License: GPL-3.0

Source: https://github.com/seanmcdougall/PartCommander

Download Links

GitHub: https://github.com/seanmcdougall/PartCommander/releases

SpaceDock: http://www.spacedock.info/mod/615/Part Commander

CKAN: coming soon

Curse: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/232303-part-commander

CHANGELOG

1.1.1 - 2016/05/06
- recompiled for KSP 1.1.2

1.1 - 2016/04/27
- fixed and recompiled for KSP 1.1

1.0.3 - 2015/11/10
- recompiled for KSP 1.0.5
- fixes a bug where hiding window with keyboard shortcut failed to release control lock

1.0.2.4 - 2015/07/31
- fixes a NullReferenceException that was showing up in the logs

1.0.2.3 - 2015/07/18
- bug fixes to hover logic and part highlighting

1.0.2.2 - 2015/07/09
- another hotfix to correct an issue with settings not being saved properly to the persistent config file

1.0.2.1 - 2015/07/08
- hotfix to correct an issue where the part list wouldn't always update when parts were destroyed

1.0.2 - 2015/07/08

- added persistent PartCommander.cfg settings file which gets created under GameData/PartCommander
- created new Settings window to manage this file
- added optional support for blizzy78's Toolbar (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863)
- stock toolbar button can be disabled through the new Settings window
- added hot key support for showing/hiding windows instead of using toolbar buttons.  Default key combo is Mod + P.  
  This can be changed through the Settings window (but be careful not to pick something that KSP already uses).
- you can also disable the hot key altogether through Settings
- added a setting to hide "unactionable" parts... those that just have display fields but no buttons or sliders.
- made the tooltips more visible by setting a solid background colour
- fixed some control locking issues when mousing over a window

1.0.1 - 2015/07/05

- added .version file
- fixed a bug that prevented the parts list from updating properly when using the filtering/sorting options
- made the search field a toggleable option
- added a toggleable category filter
- added tooltips
- made the scrollbar position persistent when moving back and forth between the main listing and a part

1.0.0 - 2015/07/02

- initial release

Edited by seanmcdougall
Released version 1.1.1

Awesome to see this release an amazing mod that you don't know how much you needed till you use it. No more chasing tiny parts down on my 100 part ship. So much nicer!

I was looking for exactly this the other day. Awesome! Really great for early career before action groups. I love the pop-off windows too.

Some suggestions:

1. Toggle button to only show parts with right-click actions vs all parts

2. Tooltips for the symmetry/fuel/temperature/aero buttons

3. Add a .version text file for KSP-AVC automatic version checking. No need to add the .dll, just a .version text file. You can use "KSP-AVC Online" from that page to create and host the version file.

You, sir, may have singlehandedly saved my Minmus Fuel Lifter. It has 5 radial engines that need to be 100% thrust to lift off full, but about 30% thrust so I have the control to bring it down and land on the docking port of the mining base. Right clicking those engines and then sliding the thrust limiter to match what the other ones are EVERY TIME I come down for a landing almost made me retire the ship and bring up another with 6 engines so I could just disable 4 of them (for instant 1/3 thrust)

Now, I can tweak the thrust not only in one convenient menu, but (thanks to that symmetry thing, and assuming I'm understanding you right) with a single control!

Thanks for the suggestions! I should be able to incorporate all of those into the next release.

I was looking for exactly this the other day. Awesome! Really great for early career before action groups. I love the pop-off windows too.

Some suggestions:

2. Tooltips for the symmetry/fuel/temperature/aero buttons

3. Add a .version text file for KSP-AVC automatic version checking. No need to add the .dll, just a .version text file. You can use "KSP-AVC Online" from that page to create and host the version file.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, you should be able to use the slider to adjust the thrust of all engines in the symmetry group at once.

Now, I can tweak the thrust not only in one convenient menu, but (thanks to that symmetry thing, and assuming I'm understanding you right) with a single control!

Just so I'm clear, are you asking for an option to filter out parts that just have display fields without any actionable items (ie buttons and sliders)? It already sort of does that (so you won't see things like struts appear in the list) but it could be made stricter. Or are you asking for an option to disable all pre-filtering and display all parts on the vessel (struts and all)?

Great mod! Some features that I missed while using larger crafts:

-An option to consolidate parts within a symmetry group to a single entry;

-Make it remember the scroll position you entered from when you return from a part entry to the main list. I guess you can resize the menu so this would essentialy become useless, but with crafts that have a lot of parts you can interact with, this still is an issue when collecting science for example, going back and forth a lot, which brings me to the next one:

-Add a filter option based on part modules or actions, like ability to collect science.

Edited by Hades

Great mod! Some features that I missed while using larger crafts:

-An option to consolidate parts within a symmetry group to a single entry;

-Make it remember the scroll position you entered from when you return from a part entry to the main list. I guess you can resize the menu so this would essentialy become useless, but with crafts that have a lot of parts you can interact with, this still is an issue when collecting science for example, going back and forth a lot, which brings me to the next one:

-Add a filter option based on part modules or actions, like ability to collect science.

Actually it should already do the first one - group parts based on symmetry. Is the symmetry lock active? It's the little three-pie-slice thing in the bottom left corner. When that's on, parts within the same symmetry group should be grouped together in the main list with a (x#) at the end to show you how many parts you're affecting.

I just finished coding up the second feature (remembering scroll bar positions) in my dev environment, so that will be in the next version along with a few bug fixes (hopefully coming out later tonight).

I'm planning to add a new option to filter on the editor part categories (Pods, Fuel Tanks, etc) so that should help with your science collecting. Not sure if that will be ready for tonight's release, but it'll be in the next release after that.

Actually it should already do the first one - group parts based on symmetry. Is the symmetry lock active? It's the little three-pie-slice thing in the bottom left corner. When that's on, parts within the same symmetry group should be grouped together in the main list with a (x#) at the end to show you how many parts you're affecting.

I just finished coding up the second feature (remembering scroll bar positions) in my dev environment, so that will be in the next version along with a few bug fixes (hopefully coming out later tonight).

I'm planning to add a new option to filter on the editor part categories (Pods, Fuel Tanks, etc) so that should help with your science collecting. Not sure if that will be ready for tonight's release, but it'll be in the next release after that.

It does that, but instead of a single entry, lets say with x4 next to it, I get four entries that each say x4. At least that's what I see on my install. May be some kind of a conflict.

Anyways, again, awesome work.

It does that, but instead of a single entry, lets say with x4 next to it, I get four entries that each say x4. At least that's what I see on my install. May be some kind of a conflict.

Anyways, again, awesome work.

I just found the problem... my bad. The main part list wasn't always refreshing properly after changing something like the symmetry toggle. It will be fixed in the next version (which will be up in a few minutes!)

- - - Updated - - -

The new version is now up - it fixes some annoying bugs, and adds a few new features including a category filter. Enjoy!

In addition to adding my vote for Blizzy’s support, I’d love to have a preference to assign a hotkey combo to bring up the Commander window. (If it’s there and I missed it, my apologies and a request for a quick pointer to where to find it.)

Edited by meyerweb
Cleaned up forum migration errors (Unicode and hyperlinking were both botched—sigh)

In addition to adding my vote for Blizzy’s support, I’d love to have a preference to assign a hotkey combo to bring up the Commander window. (If it’s there and I missed it, my apologies and a request for a quick pointer to where to find it.)

Ok, I'll add support for Blizzy's toolbar in the next release.

Nope, you didn't miss the hotkey combo - there isn't one :) I can certainly add one in though. Any suggestions for what a good default key-combo should be? Maybe Mod + P ?

Both of those features will be configurable... I'll create a new settings window for them that will save to a config file so they'll be persistent across multiple saved games.

P.S. Part Commander is now available to download through CKAN!

Nope, you didn't miss the hotkey combo - there isn't one :) I can certainly add one in though. Any suggestions for what a good default key-combo should be? Maybe Mod + P ?

I think that’s a reasonable default. Glad it will also be configurable, since I can see players with gaming keyboards assigning it to one of their dedicated script keys.

P.S. Part Commander is now available to download through CKAN!

WOOOHOOO!

Just so I'm clear, are you asking for an option to filter out parts that just have display fields without any actionable items (ie buttons and sliders)?

Yes. For example, the button would exclude OX-STAT solar panels. That part has display fields (power generated and how much sun it's getting) but there's nothing I can do with it (they don't retract/extend).

I see you've already updated with a category filter, which will help, but I'd still like this button in addition to the category filter :) For example even if I limit to the "Science" category, there are (modded) science parts that don't have clickable buttons, just read-outs (soil surface sampler from MKS and Karbonite).

Yes. For example, the button would exclude OX-STAT solar panels. That part has display fields (power generated and how much sun it's getting) but there's nothing I can do with it (they don't retract/extend).

Sure, I can do that. I'll add an extra filtering option in the next release (I'll just have to come up with a sensible icon for it first...)

I Like this. Solve a problem i think everyone has. Among other things spinning menus. I know there is a simpler solution already out there, but this is way cooler. I was wondering if you have considered RPM support. It would be nice to access any right click menu from IVA.

I was wondering if you have considered RPM support. It would be nice to access any right click menu from IVA.

Well the Part Commander windows will display in IVA mode (and map mode as well), they'll just float around as usual instead of being embedded in the consoles. I did recently come across a different mod called Vessel Viewer that works with RPM and has a "Part Selector" mode that looks sort of similar to Part Commander. I've never used it myself though so I can't really comment too much on it.

I will consider adding RPM support for a future release, but it looks like a fair bit of work so I can't promise anything :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.