Why is /r/kerbalspaceprogram private ?

Abdu

does it have anything to do with the drama that's going on?, and when well it get back to normal i miss peoples posts there :(

For people who don't know what's going on read this

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ TL;DR is on top of the post

Edited by Abdu

Because Reddit is on fire (again).

The TL;DR variant:

There is some drama over a fired employee, which caused one subreddit that was managed by said employee to go private in an attempt to figure out how to deal with this. Because it was a really popular subreddit (maybe the most popular of them all), a couple other subreddits have decided to also switch themselves private for a day or two as a means of showing solidarity and protest. KSP's subreddit is among those. It will return later.

(And contrary to popular belief, by far not all subreddits are participating in this completely voluntary event.)

Edited by Streetwind

A lot of subreddits have switched to private, according to /b/

Recently, one of their best admins got banned and people are mad. CEO is a jerk too.

They are putting some of their subreddits on private, and most are even leaving.

Which basically means, a lot of redditjerks are going to come to 4chan.

I had to edit it a bit, but thats the story as I know it.

Yes, it is related to the drama over Victoria, AMAs, and the admins (that I didn't know about until a few hours ago).

Personally, I'm not subscribed to anything other than the Kerbal subreddit, r/hatsune, and r/woahdude. I also visit a few others. I've unsubscribed from all the defaults a long time ago, but I might look at r/space sometimes.

Edited by Pipcard

The TL;DR variant:

There is some drama over a fired employee, which caused one subreddit that was managed by said employee to go private in an attempt to figure out how to deal with this. Because it was a really popular subreddit (maybe the most popular of them all), a couple other subreddits have decided to also switch themselves private for a day or two as a means of showing solidarity and protest. KSP's subreddit is among those. It will return later.

(And contrary to popular belief, by far not all subreddits are participating in this completely voluntary event.)

i can see like /r/pics and /r/videos are private but what does KSP has to do with them its so weird

The TL;DR variant:

So the subreddits are protesting by taking out their anger on the users?

I mean, that's dumb.

I mean, that's dumb.

It's funny, but when /r/pics was de-privatized lots of users were angry at mod because of that :)

Whatever, I like reddit because it's a convenient discussion board. I'm subscribed to /r/space, /r/spacex, and some games-related subreddits including /r/kerbalspaceprogram.

It's because major subreddits are protesting in "solidarity" or something like that.

Of the subreddits I read on a daily basis, /r/kerbalspaceprogram is the only one that's gone private. It's being unofficially discussed in one other reddit that I read.

I don't know the admin in question nor the reason for the ban, so I don't consider myself qualified to take a side. I know that some of the people that took offense over the fact that reddit hadn't said why they banned said user. Frankly, given that most employers in right to work states won't discuss why they fired someone with anyone but the fired person, that person's "chain of command," and the HR personnel that process the firing, I don't find this kind of process that abnormal.

Ah, here we go, a reddit topic that lays out the reasoning of the protest: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/?sort=new

I mean, that's dumb.

Nah, it's complicated. The mods feel to be stakeholders and want to have a say in what's going on and how. Think of that what you will... call it hostage-taking if you like (though who's the hostage? Reddit, the users, both?)

Take-away lesson: if your business model relies on volunteer work, don't anger the volunteers.

(though who's the hostage? Reddit, the users, both?)

The subreddits are the hostages.

This is like having a admin abusing power in your game and so you just ban everyone to "protect" them for a short while. Ultimately only the user is effected by it, and negatively a that.

no official answer yet ? SQUAD please.

Maybe you're just being sarcastic... But Squad doesn't manage the subreddit. It's a community driven thing. They certainly won't be saying anything about the situation.

Spread the word that /r/KerbalAcademy is available if people have game related questions.

It's a bit weird that so many non-default subs are going private. Many of the users in those don't even browse rest of the reddit, I assume that's also the case with KSP subreddit.

So basically, because somebody I don't know or care about got fired (possibly for completely legitimate reasons) I'm not able to use my favourite subreddit any more. Great.

I understand default subreddits like /r/aww and /r/funny blacking out, but why /r/kerbalpaceprogram? This stupid "internet drama" has NOTHING to do with the KSP subreddit.

Edited by sporkafife

But Squad doesn't manage the subreddit. It's a community driven thing. They certainly won't be saying anything about the situation.

But we've been constantly told that it's an "official" channel by Squad.

The subreddits are the hostages.

This is like having a admin abusing power in your game and so you just ban everyone to "protect" them for a short while. Ultimately only the user is effected by it, and negatively a that.

LOL, strikes are an essential part of civilized societies.

While I m familiar with many places where the population has not yet grasped that concept, I had hoped that at least Portland would be a bit more educated in that regard.

If you do not like it, write a protest e-mail to the reddit CEO. The more people do that, the shorter the strike, the faster everything is back to normal.

Those mods do not get paid, while you freeload by using the subreddit. You could at least pay them back with a simple email supporting their cause.

Edited by Yemo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.