Why is /r/kerbalspaceprogram private ?

Abdu

so much reddit hate in here :(

Reddit can be neat, but it also has it's horrible sides.

Remember the one time Reddits obstinancy blew up the gamergate thing? And everything because these idiots thought mass censorship is a good solution to drama.

Reddit can be neat, but it also has it's horrible sides.

Remember the one time Reddits obstinancy blew up the gamergate thing? And everything because these idiots thought mass censorship is a good solution to drama.

I'm a relatively new user and I don't read anything toxic. I use it to discuss games at relevant subreddits, read about space at /r/space and /r/spacex and to get some funny or cool pictures from /r/pics and /r/gifs. So, I have no clue about all past dramas... Hell, I wouldn't know about this one if /r/kerbalspaceprogram and /r/pics went dark along with some other gaming subreddits. The reason for this is not cool, but I still think reddit is a cool and convenient site.

Now, /r/pics went bananas... as far as protesting goes that might be even more effective than blackout... As for /r/kerbalspaceprogram, I disagree with mods on that one. I don't think it would help much, and some people like me are left without a convenient discussion board

Hello,

If anyone uses reddit to find kerbal space program content, the mods apparantly decided to make it private because a moderator from another sub was let go.

If you feel like this is wrong please tell the mods by creating a message and putting /r/KerbalSpaceProgram as the reciever. This will reach all the mods. Hoping the subreddit will return asap. Thank you.

I'm going to be honest in saying that whoever moderates the KSP subreddit needs to be removed from their position and replaced. Protest all you want, but do so in a way that doesn't effect others. Following a ridiculous tend and throwing a hissy fit that does nothing but bother the users is completely irresponsible and immature. From someone who's supposed to be representing the community, they make themselves and all of us look like foolish teenagers.

I'm a relatively new user and I don't read anything toxic. I use it to discuss games at relevant subreddits, read about space at /r/space and /r/spacex and to get some funny or cool pictures from /r/pics and /r/gifs. So, I have no clue about all past dramas... Hell, I wouldn't know about this one if /r/kerbalspaceprogram and /r/pics went dark along with some other gaming subreddits. The reason for this is not cool, but I still think reddit is a cool and convenient site.

Now, /r/pics went bananas... as far as protesting goes that might be even more effective than blackout... As for /r/kerbalspaceprogram, I disagree with mods on that one. I don't think it would help much, and some people like me are left without a convenient discussion board

Well, those sound like relatively harmless subreddits. At times a subreddit can become a kind of terrible circlejerk propagating the most bizarr ideas, since the up/down-vote function can by design downplay criticism and reasonable posts while overplay radical stuff that shouldn't survive a minimum of common sense. Heck, it's basic design is prone to 'rewriting' common sense in a given subreddit.

Doesn't help that the leadership isn't much more reliable either, and that part seems to have pissed of a lot of people. The whole thing is currently voiced since one of the few good employees got fired.

But yeah, stuff like Space and KSP are usually cool places.

Edited by Temeter

I'm going to be honest in saying that whoever moderates the KSP subreddit needs to be removed from their position and replaced. Protest all you want, but do so in a way that doesn't effect others. Following a ridiculous tend and throwing a hissy fit that does nothing but bother the users is completely irresponsible and immature. From someone who's supposed to be representing the community, they make themselves and all of us look like foolish teenagers.

qft..

Subreddits are by design not lead by developers. E.g. most of the PGI-members got shadowbanned (another twisted reddit-nonsense) because they wanted to moderate their own hub.

Could of course easily PM and talk with mods, but Maxmaps seems to genuinely trust the mods.

Well, those sound like relatively harmless subreddits. At times a subreddit can become a kind of terrible circlejerk propagating the most bizarr ideas, since the up/down-vote function can by design downplay criticism and reasonable posts while overplay radical stuff that shouldn't survive a minimum of common sense. Heck, it's basic design is prone to 'rewriting' common sense in a given subreddit.

Doesn't help that the leadership isn't much more reliable either, and that part seems to have pissed of a lot of people. The whole thing is currently voiced since one of the few good employees got fired.

But yeah, stuff like Space and KSP are usually cool places.

I think reddit is cool for sharing stuff. Some "hot" discussions can suffer from that up/down-vote function sometimes, but honestly I don't like toxic discussions anyways. Oh, and tendency to exaggerate everything, too, but that's no different from the forums honestly. I have seen those "<feature/bug> RUINS KSP!" posts both on reddit and on forums, so that doesn't change.

Nah, despite its issues, I still think that's a cool discussion board.

LOL, strikes are an essential part of civilized societies.

While I m familiar with many places where the population has not yet grasped that concept, I had hoped that at least Portland would be a bit more educated in that regard.

If you do not like it, write a protest e-mail to the reddit CEO. The more people do that, the shorter the strike, the faster everything is back to normal.

Those mods do not get paid, while you freeload by using the subreddit. You could at least pay them back with a simple email supporting their cause.

Strikes are things that are neccesary for progress, this is true. However:

1. This isn't a strike. This is a protest. All the moderators are volunteers. If they don't like upper management, they can quit at any time and lose nothing.

2. Internet protests are different. If they block entire the entirety of functionality for the users they're garbage. This isn't so much a storefront being protested against as it is every storefront ever in a single city. It services too many people, and for a very specific thing. (In this case lots of specific things).

3. As shown by this thread, they were VERY bad in the communication of what they were protesting against in the first place.

As for using reddit, I don't.

Edited by Tankman101

On one hand, I get the Reddit protest. Going private on a sub means people can't enjoy Reddit, because perhaps their favorite topics are no longer available. That makes the users open to Reddit alternatives (many keep mentioning Voat.co). It wouldn't be the first time mismanagement caused a mass migration (see: Digg --> Reddit). So I get that part, protest Reddit to hurt them.

Obviously a potential side effect is dissolving the community completely. /r/KSP was a pretty special place because it wasn't a mess of nonsense, infighting, name-calling, etc. Everyone was happy, noobs were free to post their Mun landing and were upvoted and congratulated rather than buried. It was pretty awesome. Who knows whether Voat (or search and replace with your Reddit alt of choice) would have the same community? That's the crappy part about this.

Strikes are things that are neccesary for progress, this is true. However:

1. This isn't a strike. This is a protest. All the moderators are volunteers. If they don't like upper management, they can quit at any time and lose nothing.

2. Internet protests are different. If they block entire the entirety of functionality for the users they're garbage. This isn't so much a storefront being protested against as it is every storefront ever in a single city. It services too many people, and for a very specific thing. (In this case lots of specific things).

3. As shown by this thread, they were VERY bad in the communication of what they were protesting against in the first place.

As for using reddit, I don't.

This is precisely a strike, it's a form of protest that poses disruption to users and managers. That's the point. Always side against the managers and with strikers.

If all the retail outlets in a city shut down for a day, that's a hell of a powerful protest and implies the thing the workers are protesting against is pretty bad. So instead of complaining that the shop is closed, you'd be better off siding with the workers and directing the anger at their management for causing the strike in the first place.

This is precisely a strike, it's a form of protest that poses disruption to users and managers.

I hate language sometimes :P

Always side against the managers and with strikers.

Sorry no, I'm not blindly siding with some group of people that I've just seen. That's dumb.

If all the retail outlets in a city shut down for a day, that's a hell of a powerful protest and implies the thing the workers are protesting against is pretty bad. So instead of complaining that the shop is closed, you'd be better off siding with the workers and directing the anger at their management for causing the strike in the first place.

1. No, it doesn't imply that. It just means people got in a frenzy about SOMETHING. Where the something could be literally anything and could be either a truth or a lie.

2. I already said, this isn't like one shop closed. This is more like every shop in the city closed. That's more on par with the amount of traffic coming in. And if a website doesn't convey what they are protesting for, and doesn't keep core functionality, they have 0 support from me.

The right way to go about this would be:

Change subreddit skin (gets attention).

Pin a post explaining whats happening.

KEEP THE DAMN THING OPEN!

LOL, internet strikes are an essential part of uncivilized societies.

Fixed.

Sorry, but the real third world countries are the ones where they offer public services, but take them away over a pissing match. Joining in on ANY form of internet protest is uncivilized and shows an utter lack of intelligence; as is equating an internet protest to a "omg, I'm not going to get paid and have to stand outside all day" strike.

An internet protest is "Omg, it is SOOO COOL right now do to X, I'm gonna do X because it is like totally cool, I don't really understand why doing X is cool and am just following the crowd, but since I don't give anything up, go X!"

I don't use junk like reddit, but don't give merit to 4chan behaviour just because you agree with the message.

Here's a bit that I think most of the folks here don't understands.

Privatizing the subreddits costs Reddit money.

If users can't access the subreddits, then adds aren't viewed and posts aren't gilded(way of paying for the site by highlighting a good post).

The fact that browsers can't get their free entertainment is unfortunate, but it was caused by the a long history of poor communication, disregard for the hard work of volunteer moderators and now (what seems to be) a wrongful termination.

Just for brevity, here is a quick rundown on what seems to have happened.

1. Corporate Reddit doesn't talk to/help moderators for a long period of time.
  2. One administrator becomes a default bridge, in part due to her heavy involvement in the Ask Me Anything subreddit. (which brings a lot of reddit's traffic)
  3. Corporate demands that said admin change Ask Me Anything to not include input from the redditors and instead become a misleading publicity method.
  4. Admin protests the changes, saying that it seems unethical and against the spirit of AMA
  5. Admin is fired.
  6. Celebrities, AMA interviewies and AMA moderators are all left with ZERO ways to contact the administration now that said admin was removed.
  7. AMA shuts down to try and scramble under the bad situation
  8. Other subreddits take notice and investigate.
  9. Insider speaks out about how it was an unethical money-grab that resulted in the loss of a competent and communicative admin.
  10. Subreddit moderators offer votes for if they should join AMA in shutdown.
  11. Votes are overwhelmingly in favor
  12. Subreddits shut down.

Net result: loss of advertising and gilding money going to corporate Reddit and a temporary loss for reddit users.

[EDIT: Removing a section I may be wrong about..]

(I've been researching this all morning. It's very interesting to me from a psychological and sociological standpoint. Historically, the internet is still a new realm of social interaction and it's not often you get to study a mass protest like this.)

Edited by Xacktar

Privatizing the subreddits costs Reddit money.

If they're trying to cost reddit a significant amount of money they're not doing a good job of it. One days income is relative pennies.

No, this is just a "ME TOO!" scenario. If the goal was to cost reddit money it would be going on for much longer.

Here's a bit that I think most of the folks here don't understands.

Privatizing the subreddits costs Reddit money..

So does HACKING Reddit and destroying the server. We should hack reddit, DDoS it, and release information about the CEO's kids and strongly imply someone should kidnap them (like anonymous does).

Retroactive "this is why we're doing this" doesn't change that this is still not a protest but a pissing match, it only adds in the elitest "join our movement, we can bring down Reddit, download LOIC now!!!" nonsense that people who claim internet protests work does.

Edited by Vanamonde

This part is important so bolding, in most of the cases I've explored THE REDDIT USERS VOTED TO VOLUNTARILY GO PRIVATE IN PROTEST

This was not just the decision of moderators, this was user-informed for many of the subreddits.

With exception for AMA, Science and a few others that relied on help from the fired admin. They shut down because they couldn't function without the support.

This has no basis in reality. The reddit administrators made a sudden and unexpected move (firing the admin) which made a large community of moderators angry and the perceived injustice and lack of transparency. In response said community of moderators decided to make a sudden and unexpected move (privatizing subreddits) WITHOUT ANY COORDINATION OR INPUT FROM THE USERS. I'm fine with the idea of a protest, but take a look at any other protest in the past and it involves putting up sticky notices, sometimes for weeks ahead of time, so the users can talk about it and be aware. This all happened in less than 24 hours. Spreading the message that reddit users are somehow on board with this before the fact is just idiotic and, frankly, dishonest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.