Why is /r/kerbalspaceprogram private ?

Abdu

What part is dumb?

(A) That the situation exists.

(B) That Reddit itself exists.

© That there is a thread here about the situation.

Or,

(D) All of the above.

I go with B.

can i go with (E) /r/KSP joining them

Dear r/KerbalSpaceProgram moderators! I understand that, some people upset about what happend on reddit. But I dont care. (Besides: every company have the right to choose their employeers. Deal with it.)

But I'm really upset about the closing of the KSP subreddit. I don't know who are the moderators of the subreddit, but i dont feel right to close r/KSP. Moderators aren't equal the community. If they are angry about reddit's decision, then the whole r/KSP community can be angry too for mods.

Stop this .........

Dear r/KerbalSpaceProgram moderators! I understand that, some people upset about what happend on reddit. But I dont care. (Besides: every company have the right to choose their employeers. Deal with it.)

But I'm really upset about the closing of the KSP subreddit. I don't know who are the moderators of the subreddit, but i dont feel right to close r/KSP. Moderators aren't equal the community. If they are angry about reddit's decision, then the whole r/KSP community can be angry too for mods.

Stop this .........

Send this as a private message to /r/kerbalspaceprogram. Forums seem to hate reddit anyways.

Edited by Kuu Lightwing

Yeah. I can definitely see by this thread how the KSP Forum's community demonstrate how much better they are.

IMO, the primary reason forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com dislikes our "brothers and sisters" on reddit is because that's where development info can be found that isn't posted on the forum.

Because reddit is not an official Squad site for one, and for two, people would still not see it and post in GD anyway.

This is already starting to die down, AMA is back up, other subreddits will follow.

On the good side, the reddit blackout made me finally register on this forum.

On the other hand, however, all my mission reports and craft showthreads are gone, even from my personal timeline. Boo :huh:

I don't see the point of all of this, honestly. There are no ads on the subreddit, so how exactly is this blackout hurting reddit as a company?

Stop this .........

Really? If reddit mods have finally gotten fed up with corporate reddit, I support them. The entire Reddit model doesn't make sense. Moderators volunteering to moderate for a corporate website just doesn't make sense.

Thanks, i did not know about this feature.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont care about the reddit company. A moderator should not hurt the community what they try to manage. Otherwise they are inadequate for they role.

Really? If reddit mods have finally gotten fed up with corporate reddit, I support them. The entire Reddit model doesn't make sense. Moderators volunteering to moderate for a corporate website just doesn't make sense.

There was a discussion about joining the protest, but I didn't read it all. Lots of people wanted them to black out, but I don't like that decision... Heck, I saw a guy who made a glider and asked him some questions just before /r/ksp went black.

What part is dumb?

(A) That the situation exists.

(B) That Reddit itself exists.

© That there is a thread here about the situation.

Or,

(D) All of the above.

I go with B.

The response. I don't support the idea of taking out frustration on the users, especially the users who want nothing to do with the whole situation (like me)

The response. I don't support the idea of taking out frustration on the users, especially the users who want nothing to do with the whole situation (like me)

Nova, have you tried to send them a private message? I just sent it, but I think you are quite a bit more significant user than me :)

Nova, have you tried to send them a private message? I just sent it, but I think you are quite a bit more significant user than me :)

Eh, not much point. The decision to do this has already been made, so we just have to wait until it blows over, really.

It doesn't? Seems like it works here, mostly.

I think the KSP forums are different because the forum here is not Squads primary revenue source. Then again, I have never been a moderator or involved in running a forum, so just about everything I say on the topic is conjecture.

One can onyl hope this ends in the total destruction of reddit. Excited! :cool:

Amen brother. I was a member for just 2 months a year ago but I saw corruption and trouble coming down the pike. I closed my account and never looked back, but visited every once in a while to see if what I saw coming actually did come. The site itself didn't offer anything useful to me either, it was just a repository of clickbait-titled articles and people arguing nastily. The internet version of the "bad part of town", if you will. My mental and emotional state picked right up after quitting that site.

Edited by Flymetothemun
My memory failed me like a firecracker with a bad fuse.

I think the KSP forums are different because the forum here is not Squads primary revenue source. Then again, I have never been a moderator or involved in running a forum, so just about everything I say on the topic is conjecture.

Yet people would easily argue that KSP without a community and especially mods would die in 30 seconds. Revenue is a "magical" thing that you really have to be working with the financials of the company to know where it comes from.

I got really pissy before as I was remembering what I hate about all of these protests (and the people usually behind them) but the gist is that when you protest in a way that doesn't hurt you while only hurting someone else, your protest is meaningless. DDoS attacks are thought of as "costs of doing business" these days... just like "piracy boycotting" as a fight against DRM. CEOs get so much hate mail, threats, attempts at extortion that a rise in it is meaningless to them. The internet has made "protesting" into a pastime, which means inflated emotions like this is taken as inflated emotions, rather than something corporate has to actually consider.

I mean, consider, all Reddit needs to do is temporarily disable the ability to make forums or whatnot private, and revert the changes. The REAL protest is when people actively boycott Reddit, preferably not using Reddit to spread messages about boycotting it (not because Reddit can remove it, but because it defeats the purpose). If Reddit knows people WANT to use its service, but cannot due to temporary issues, they don't give a crap about what caused those issues.

Consider a "store side" protest, where people are trying to convince others who don't care about their plight to not shop at a store... usually they don't work out because people just don't care and walk right past the protests... some may just resolve to come a different day if protests are violent enough. While directly blocking people from entering does get you more attention, it only gathers negative attention. You haven't convinced anyone not to shop at the store, you only prevented it; if anything people, having resented your actions, are MORE LIKELY to shop there and spend more money because of how poorly you treated them.

Consider the Gas Protests, "Everyone, don't buy gas this sunday... the gas stations will lose millions!" Of course they will, but then TOMORROW you will NEED to buy gas, and while daily profit will take a large hit, weekly profit would barely change... let alone that no one really knows why the protest occurred, where is the list of demands? The commitment to further protests if demands are not met? And since with crowd-sourcing like this, you get large groups without firm demands, all that can really be said is that people are angry; but don't have a solution.

Effective protesting is slow, it takes large amounts of planning, it takes a large commitment. It costs REAL money, and REAL effort on your behalf, often individual protests are unsuccessful so you keep campaigning and seeking more and more followers over long periods of time until change finally happens.

TLDR; Internet protests are HIGHLY emotional but very short lived, their frequency has made them a "cost of business" rather than an indication that something needs to change.

Edited by Fel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.