SRB uses.

ryan234abc

I just ran a stock campaign to collect lots of science without upgrading any facilities, and I used the SRBs for... pretty much nothing.

18 tonnes total mass and 30 parts total is a very tight limit, and anything that can be done at that scale with an SRB can be done lighter with LF&O engines.

Now that I'm done with that, I'll probably use them more. Mass isn't a problem anymore and SRBs are pretty cheap.

Best,

-Slashy

I've successfully used small SRBs to complete survey contracts with aircraft. Early on, with only the basic jet engine, it is difficult/impossible to reach those 'above 18000m' waypoints.

A SRB can be successfully used to reach those altitudes with a fixed-wing aircraft. Just point the nose at the middle of the sky and fire the SRB.

It's possible that a LF motor would have been more efficient. Then again, the Isp of LF engines isn't that great in the atmosphere, and available thrust drops off as well. At the time, I didn't have the LV-909 unlocked, but that engine is particularly worthless in the atmosphere anyway.

One final advantage in this case was the the SRB's 'one button' usage, activate by staging. A LF engine can also be activated by staging, but then you need to shut it off. That becomes awkward without action groups, especially while you are trying to click on the thermometer to get the waypoint complete. With the SRB you just stage it to activate, nothing else to do, it will shut itself off when it runs out of fuel.

Again, maybe not the most efficient solution, but it worked.

SRBs aren't efficient for anything but a first stage, but if you don't care about efficiency then OK :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_48 This little guy kicked New Horizons into a solar-escape trajectory, and allowed the probe to pass the Moon within nine hours of launch. Definitely more powerful than a Flea, to be sure, but I have seen enough playthroughs of KSP with SRBs used for orbital injections and maneuvers to know they have plenty of potential for use.

Heck, with enough pre-planning and the right use of SRBs and limiters, you can achieve a munar landing and return with SRBs alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_48 This little guy kicked New Horizons into a solar-escape trajectory, and allowed the probe to pass the Moon within nine hours of launch. Definitely more powerful than a Flea, to be sure, but I have seen enough playthroughs of KSP with SRBs used for orbital injections and maneuvers to know they have plenty of potential for use.

Heck, with enough pre-planning and the right use of SRBs and limiters, you can achieve a munar landing and return with SRBs alone.

Don't forget the Laythe landing and back.

I wish we could get size2 SRBs tho...

I hate having to spam size1's and exponentially increase my part count for larger payloads

At last, someone who wants size2's! Not that anyone else doesn't, but most people don't mention it nonetheless.

- - - Updated - - -

I use RT-10s as sepratrons for my massive Liquid fueled rockets....

http://i.imgur.com/c8dmlGE.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/bcVWdC3.png

Holy mother of... that is HUGE! (That's also what she said xD)

I did use a Flea attached to a Command Pod as an ad-hoc Kerbin Return Vehicle, servicing my Spacehab Station.

Had just enough D-V to re-enter, and was cheap as dirt to use.

Many many moons ago, a parked this thing in a specific spot on Mun (directly below where you'd do a burn to transfer back to Kerbin) as an emergency Mun escape pod.

http://i.imgur.com/YUacLjll.jpg

With some tweaking of the fuel in the SRB it was balanced to be just the right burn to put the pod on a course to smack into Kerbin's atmo (would probably need a heat shield these days....although maybe not ;) )

http://i.imgur.com/hJxOGQCl.jpg

I LOVE that sort of idea. This is exactly what I was after when I started this thread. I mean, +rep to everyone but this is ingenious! The feeling of precision is somewhat satisfying when you get a smack on, perfect course without any control, ain't it?

- - - Updated - - -

I moved to 100% recoverable launchers... ie, basically SSTOs...

But not everything was an SSTO. Some payloads I could only manage a vertical launch, or needed more thrust on launch.

So I used them as RATO packs.

RATO packs. Love the name. I might try them myself, if you don't mind of course.

I wish we could get size2 SRBs tho...

I hate having to spam size1's and exponentially increase my part count for larger payloads

SpaceY has a nice selection of 1.875m and 2.5m SRBs. The biggest ones are over 100 tons and look entirely appropriate next to a 5m LFO core. Conveniently, the mod also includes a variety of 5m parts. :-)

Can anyone help me... I am a newbie playing ksp and I found that when using srb's, the appearance of the flames coming out the back would glitch out....

image.tiff

I'm not sure if it is because of a mod or something. I've also tried changing graphics settings but with no result :(

Can anyone help me... I am a newbie playing ksp and I found that when using srb's, the appearance of the flames coming out the back would glitch out....

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/webkit-fake-url://a95518fd-347c-4d03-be4a-dbe8e5989e1d/image.tiff

I'm not sure if it is because of a mod or something. I've also tried changing graphics settings but with no result :(

Just a tip: In order to display an image, you need to host it somewhere and link to it with the %7Boption%7D tag. Imgur is a popular site for that kind of stuff.

If you have a bug to report, there are the support subforums, and the Squad Bugtracker. Probably better places to report glitches than a random thread in General Discussion.

HTH

Hi Ace! We can help you of course, but we need a screenshot first. And perhaps you'd like to file this question in the help section (or whatever its called xD). That way, lots more people would have a much better chance of finding out the answer for you!

Lately I have begun to use SRB's (solid rocket boosters) for more than just assisting launches. Mainly, I have been using Fleas to kill speed and place myself on sub-orbital trajectories. I have found the precision rewarding when it pays off, and SRB's can be used, detached and forgotten. My question today is : how do YOU use SRB's, for purposes other than launching? Don't forget to +rep anything you like posted here!:cool:

Yesterday, I put one on the bottom of my Orbiter so I could test it's near-empty weight glider characteristics. Finally got that f&^%*r to orbit today after about ten hours of sweaty, cussing and fussing VAB time.

FHwRPlZ.jpg

I actually used a pair of fleas, with the fuel cut down, as separator rockets on a huge first stage that had a tendency to collide with the second stage upon separation. They would fire for about two seconds, just enough to pull the first stage back and prevent a collision. Worked great. Use them as huge separatrons :)

I use the largest SRBs as my "light" launch platform. I can get a satellite anywhere within Kerbin's SOI with a triple pack of them, and can get a single kerbal retrieval craft into LKO and back to earth with the same launch pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.