[1.0.x] KeRD - Kerbal Remote Display that runs in your browser - July 7th

Lokaltog

If I understand your question correctly, the reason I chose to make this an online app is mostly convenience. You as a user can be sure that the latest stable version will be available at kerd.space, so unlike offline mods you won't have to periodically check for updates, download the updates, unpack, etc..

That being said, it's still possible to build an offline version if you'd prefer that! Just clone the repo and run "gulp production" to build the app. Future tagged releases will also include an offline zip file for download, where you'll be able to open a HTML file in your browser and use the plugin offline if you want.

This looks awesome! A great edition to Telemachus.

It would be amazing if you could somehow integrate Hullcam VDS into it...
Its impossible.

That woudl require KSP engine to render now scene, this mod just uses crude rendering on its own to display simple orbit map.

I actually wonder about the impossibility and if there was a work around. The engine is capable of rendering secondary cameras, such as the Tarsier SpaceTech telescopes (awesome window gui) and the LazorCam camera. I think for the camera shown in the second post of the Telemachus thread the code is 'obsolete', but the idea was to extract the data from that secondary camera source as it is an add on to the main flight display. Having this would be VERY awesome - especially with the ability to pan cameras from web browser. I'm happy to be told I am wrong.

Peace.

EDIT - Just discovered this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79605 which has been off my radar, but it seems cool too.

Edited by theJesuit
added an additional link

Yes ! Thanks !

An offline version is really usefull !

Your work is awesome ! Thanks a lot !

Do you think is it possible to have raster prop monitor with telemachus ? I dream about a KSP-simpit...

Any chance you could incorporate Docking Port Alignment Indicator from Navyfish's mod? That's a great mod, and with this mod would make Kerballing truly epic.

^What they said

Yep, someone suggested a classic map with ground track lines on Reddit, I'm definitely going to see if I'll be able to implement this (maybe as a toggle button on the map view). It kinda depends if I'm able to wrap my head around the math involved!

It's not terribly complicated. The orbit class has a method that returns your position along the current orbit at a given time. So if you want to draw orbit lines for the previous and following orbit (or any other timescale) you just ask for the vessel's position at time intervals before and after the current time, then connect the dots with some kind of line drawing, or just leave them as dots like SCANsat does.

There are a few complications, like accounting for the planet's rotation, checking if the orbit at a given time is under the surface, projecting the position onto an actual map, etc... but it's actually less difficult than it sounds.

1. A docking port alignment indicator may be included soon. Telemachus includes a couple of properties that seem related (dock.x, dock.y) but I haven't had time to look at how these work yet.

2. Live pictures from the game should in theory be possible, but it probably requires quite a bit of work, and you'd probably never get a live 15-30+ fps stream displayed in the browser (at least without a significant performance hit). If Telemachus or another KSP plugin could capture images, encode them and send them e.g. as binary packets over websocket it's not a problem at all to display them in the kerd UI, but I'd guess that this would be limited to maybe 1-2fps at most. It's a very interesting idea and it would be very cool if it was possible to implement it! But someone other than me would have to do this in KSP, as I currently don't know C# or the internals of the Unity engine :)

3. I've briefly looked at how I can render track lines, and once I've completed the UI overhaul I'm going to start working on it. I was able to get the orbital display working, so I'm sure I'll be able to get the ground lines working eventually. Thanks a lot for the scansat link, I'd forgotten that it includes this feature! Looking at existing source code definitely makes it a lot easier. :)

I need more monitors now! I can't watch Scott Manley and play KSP with your sweet data in my face. Well done.

Seriously though, 4:3 or less than fullscreen browser support or android chrome would kick arse.

What I said before...

I actually wonder about the impossibility and if there was a work around....

...EDIT - Just discovered this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79605

TacoScott's Go At Throttle Up uses his own python script to generate pngs from cameras on board craft which are not shown on KSP's main screen. The 'camera image' is then just pushing through the still images at the 20 frames per second or whatever the python script is calling for. I don't know the feasibility of utilising his work, or doing something similar without python as an external program.

Again, Peace.

I've briefly looked at how I can render track lines, and once I've completed the UI overhaul I'm going to start working on it. I was able to get the orbital display working, so I'm sure I'll be able to get the ground lines working eventually. Thanks a lot for the scansat link, I'd forgotten that it includes this feature! Looking at existing source code definitely makes it a lot easier. :)

If you are interested in seeing how to plot ground track lines/orbital info without relying on any KSP helper functions and just the Keplerian orbital properties, you can see my JS implementation, which is a direct translation of the Matlab code used for KSPTOT which its author helped me get working.

I'd love to have your 3D view as an option for my flight tracker...

A good Idea should be a way to other ppl connect to telemetry trough your site... like add a session iD to the link and ppl who connects to this link can see your telemetry... and we can role-play a mission control / command center with our friends...

Or even a way for ppl see streamer's vessel telemetry while watching him/her... :P

I need more monitors now! I can't watch Scott Manley and play KSP with your sweet data in my face. Well done.

Seriously though, 4:3 or less than fullscreen browser support or android chrome would kick arse.

A fully customizable interface that works on any device is almost ready. It's not available at kerd.space yet, as I have to do some tweaks for mobile devices first. The goal is to make this app work with multiple devices and screens, so you'd be able to have e.g. the orbital display on your tablet, and maybe a full-screen ground track on a secondary monitor, etc. Kind of making it possible to setup your own command center!

- - - Updated - - -

So, if I install this, how does going to http://kerd.space know to display my info?

I also saw the comment about running locally. What OS does it need to run on? Windows, Linux?

Thanks

The app is currently running client-side only. This means that nothing is stored on the server, kerd.space only serves you static HTML pages. The reason this works is that the app interacts directly with the websocket interface provided by Telemachus, and it uses the browser's local storage capabilities to store your settings, so no online services are required to run the app. It runs in Chrome and Firefox (maybe IE, I have no idea) on any OS. It will soon be available for tablets and mobile devices too.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested in seeing how to plot ground track lines/orbital info without relying on any KSP helper functions and just the Keplerian orbital properties, you can see my JS implementation, which is a direct translation of the Matlab code used for KSPTOT which its author helped me get working.

I'd love to have your 3D view as an option for my flight tracker...

Awesome, this is exactly what I've been looking for! I've checked out the source for multiple KSP plugins, but they all seem to depend on helper functions provided by KSP, so this really helps out a lot! I'll post an update on how the ground track is coming along later today.

- - - Updated - - -

A good Idea should be a way to other ppl connect to telemetry trough your site... like add a session iD to the link and ppl who connects to this link can see your telemetry... and we can role-play a mission control / command center with our friends...

Or even a way for ppl see streamer's vessel telemetry while watching him/her... :P

I love this idea, I'll definitely look at setting up a telemetry relay later on! Watching telemetry from streamers in realtime on your own PC (with your own customizable setup) sounds amazing.

Would it cause a performance degradation if the panels had a texture like aluminium? It would look a lot cooler if the panels were like that. (Awsome mod, by the way!)

Nope, skinning the interface is part of the plan and it won't cause any performance issues. Are you thinking something like this for the aluminium texture? http://imgur.com/oTO2NjL

Good news, everyone! I'm almost there thanks to Gaiiden's JS code, I'm just trying to resolve an issue where the ground track for some reason is offset. I'm not sure why, it might be a texture offset issue or something like that, as the ground orbit appears to be correct otherwise. Any ideas? Edit: fixed, see below

Edited by Lokaltog

The main issue turned out to be errors caused by the D3 element dimensions. Here's the current version I'm working on, which is pretty accurate. I'm not sure why it still appears ever so slightly offset, but except for that it works fine now! A huge thanks to everyone who helped out with this feature!

JMLOfab.jpg

Hope you guys like it! :)

Assuming this works similar to how the pages that Telemachus comes with, this should be doable already; if the host forwards the appropriate port and gives the others the IP, the others should be able to input the host's IP and port in the settings.

The downside of this, of course, is that you'd have to give everyone your IP and that it would result in additional traffic, neither of which are desirable. You'd have to do something similar to Proxymachus to keep the traffic down and protect your IP.

Allright guys, I just updated kerd.space with all the recent changes! This includes:

• Tablet support through editable layouts - tap the bottom of the screen twice to open the toolbar, then click the edit button to edit the layout
  • Fully customizable layout
  • New module designs: brushed metal and dark background
  • Support for TAC life support resources
  • Ground track display
  • New navball texture
  • New skybox texture
  • Optional high-resolution textures
  • All celestial bodies in the Kerbol system have been added and can be browsed on the orbital display

These changes and a ton of fixes and tweaks are now available on http://kerd.space/, enjoy! :)

Edit: Here's a screenshot showcasing some of the new features:

d5LtRW3.jpg

Edited by Lokaltog

Firstly, awesome! This has floated my boat above the water line, however im a (sometimes) thick person......

Could some kind hearted, knowledgeable member explain how (if its possible) this can be installed and working for my flight to Duna tonight on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 tablet?

I apologise for my stupidity :(

Is it possible to use this mod from another computer on the same network?

I have an old laptop laying around that doesn't have enough power to run KSP but it could run this webpage. I know Telemachus can be accessed from another computer just wondering about your mod

Looks awesome so I'm gonna try and make it work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.