[1.0.x] KeRD - Kerbal Remote Display that runs in your browser - July 7th

Lokaltog

Sorry about the delayed responses, it's the holidays so I haven't had time to work on the project the last couple of days.

Kerd.space is not working for me either. No errors show up on debug log. Firefox and IE on windows 7.

Output log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79622787/output_log_KERD.txt

It will probably be a few before it finally gets finished uploading.

Also have you considered integration with RemoteTech?

What exactly doesn't work? A debug log from the dev console (F12) would be more useful for me, so if you could printscreen the console and what doesn't work I can look into it.

Regarding RemoteTech, I don't think Telemachus currently supports it, but if it supports it in the future I'll definitely add RT integration. Not sure exactly how this could be integrated with KeRD though, as displaying satellite/antenna locations would require replicating the entire KSP system and all vessels, so my guess is that it would be limited to e.g. antenna "strength" (distance to connected satellites) or something like that.

I just tried this out last night and it worked pretty good.

I have some suggestions though.

I found editing the layout quite difficult and unintuitive. If it were click and drag to move and resize windows that would be awesome.

On the basic non-webgl site...

The map view would be even more awesome if it could show orientation as well as nav points.

The flight controls could use better labelling, icons, and layout.

That's my suggestions anyways.

I guess I'll be the dummy to jump in and say "I can't figure out the tablet instructions." Specifically #5. Huh? I have my Network Connection Details window up but which of these numbers am I entering? In what line do I enter them? Host, or Port? Tried multiple configurations and I'm getting no connection.

I guess I'll be the dummy to jump in and say "I can't figure out the tablet instructions." Specifically #5. Huh? I have my Network Connection Details window up but which of these numbers am I entering? In what line do I enter them? Host, or Port? Tried multiple configurations and I'm getting no connection.

Charley575 to connect a tablet using the KERD remote display you will first need the IP address of your computer that is running KSP.

There are a couple ways to do this in Windows but I prefer the command line.

Open the "Run" dialog by pressing "windows key" + R.

Open a command window by typing in "CMD" and hit enter.

Type in "ipconfig" in the command window.

Look beside "IPv4 address. . . . .:" under "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:".

You should see something like 192.168.0.100 or something similar.

Type that number into the "Host" field of the "Telemachus properties" window on your tablet.

Leave the port as 8085.

Your IP address may be different and you ethernet adapter may be labelled something different but I hope you get the idea.

EDIT: about my previous post I just realized I was talking about the Telemachus mod and not this one.

I though they were the same.

Still, it would be nice to have nav points on the map.

Edited by anak1
additional comments.

• 1 month later...

When trying to use KeRD, this is what I get: http://i.imgur.com/GdpeYY6.png

I have input a valid IP (I have checked CMD using IPConfig, and then with Telemachus) and port (I'm taking it straight from Telemachus).

I am running Firefox on Windows 10. I am using a plugin that makes Firefox look like an older version, but it is actually the most current version.

Please let me know how to fix this as soon as possible. I absolutely need this mod for a ground control party I'm throwing soon. I don't regularly use this forum, so please message me on Reddit at /u/Deadmeat553.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It does work. I have it working with 1.0.5 on Windows 10. You may need to build a windows firewall rule to allow 8085 TCP inbound.

It works well enough that my brother connected over the internet to my Telemachus instance with both kerd and native TM. 

NOTE: Textures for the planets/muns don't seem to load.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I can kinda get this to work, but the orbital map I get is not working properly.

Things aren't lining up properly, it is very jittery and I get this ugly black bar on the right side of the thing.

jzqLmwC.png

Everything else seems to work just fine, except for the orbital map :s

Any ideas as to what could be the cause of this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doesn't work me as well. If it does work for some people then it is probably because some ISPs (Internet Service Providers, not specific impulse :D) DNS servers don't recognize this domain name (kerd.space). 

Will anyone who got it to work be kind enough to let the rest of us know the IP of the website? You can find it by pinging in from your cmd. It will look something like 
"Pinging kerd.space [some.ip.address] with ...."

29 minutes ago, DeepSpace said:

Doesn't work me as well. If it does work for some people then it is probably because some ISPs (Internet Service Providers, not specific impulse :D) DNS servers don't recognize this domain name (kerd.space). 

Will anyone who got it to work be kind enough to let the rest of us know the IP of the website? You can find it by pinging in from your cmd. It will look something like 
"Pinging kerd.space [some.ip.address] with ...."

I suspect it is the website itself. It actually can't open it, it used to work for me but not anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I apologize for the lack of updates, I haven't checked the forums for ages. I decided to take the website down a while back due to very little usage and interest around the project, so I didn't see a point in continuing to pay for the domain and website, or to maintain the code as I have had a break from playing KSP myself. Now that KSP 1.1 is right around the corner I want to resurrect the project, but I'm considering migrating the code to kRPC instead of Telemachus, as Telemachus development seems to have ceased as well. The problem with kRPC is that it doesn't support websockets out of the box, so it would need a service to translate messages from kRPC to websockets to be able to use it in the browser. It would then no longer be possible to just drop a plugin into the KSP folder and open kerd.space like with Telemachus, but kRPC seems a bit more stable and feature-rich so it may be worth the extra hassle with setting it up to work with KeRD.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in helping out with development, I won't have time to work much on the project for a couple of weeks, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to check the forums more regularly, I'm also available at [email protected].

The project can still be built and run on a local webserver (a server is currently required because the assets are compiled relative to the server root), but I've started working on a way to run KeRD just by opening the HTML file in the browser. To build the project all you need to do is to install node.js and npm, then run npm install, then gulp production.

Edited by Lokaltog

Hi, cool project! I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm working on adding more communication protocols to kRPC. If it's going to be a couple of weeks before you start working again on this, kRPC might support websockets by then. If you want to check up on the progress of this at any point, see this issue on github: https://github.com/krpc/krpc/issues/123

@djungelorm Awesome, I really hope you'll be able to get WS support up and running. If I knew C# I'd definitely help you out with the WS support, but for now I think I'll have to stick to working on a front-end like KeRD instead. I just checked out the kRPC API docs again and man, there's really a lot of cool features that can be added to KeRD with all the extra info you provide through kRPC (just simple stuff like e.g. scene info makes it possible to make KeRD a lot more polished and user friendly). The kRPC API seems very solid and well designed, I can't wait to start working with it.

Edited by Lokaltog

• 4 weeks later...

@Lokaltog I have a few ideas. I can offer kerbal.us.to as a domain name, or kerd.us.to so you wouldn't need to pay for a domain. Secondly, if you have time and this isn't too hard to implement any sort of P2P connection would be awesome :)

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.