What is your favourite part of a space mission?

RainDreamer

What is your favourite part of a space mission?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite part of a space mission?

• The Planning
    • The Launch
    • The Flight to Orbit
    • The Transit
    • The Arrival to Destination
    • The Return Trip (if there is one)
    • EXPLOSIONS!
    • Others (please share! :D)

In KSP we do a lot of space missions, but what is your most favourite part? Is it the preparation stage where you work with number and building your craft? Is it the launching itself and seeing your handiwork blast off with the force of multiton explosions? Is it the moment when your craft finally achieve orbit and coast along in serenity? Is it ...uh...the transit stage (does anyone actually enjoy that?)? Is it when you reach your destination and seeing your plans coming to fruitrition? Or maybe is it the returning trip, if you had one? Or perhaps you just want to see stuff blow up?

The completion. It depends on the mission parameters, but once the mission is 100% complete, I can breathe easy again. If it's a manned mission, then the successful return and recovery of the crew capsule is the best part.

If it's a satellite, then just getting to destination is the satisfying bit.

Even simple tasks such as landing on the Mun or docking with a space station give me that giddy feeling. Everything you've done in the mission has lead up to this point...so don't mess it up! It's these moments I believe make KSP such an exciting experience. :)

I like all. Really. Planning, l(a)unching, orbit, making the transit, arrival and return. My missions are not the best planned, I often leave Kerbals longer on space stations or do another spontaneous rendezvous after realizing that Bill lost his KIS drill again :P. But most of the mission is already thinked trough a while ago. Somehow I love doing transit burns that go interplanetary. Just that feeling that your handiwork is blasting of to a new world, to discover something the Kerbals never knew before.

Edit:

Also, I love when something goes wrong on launch but I can regain control again and complete it successfully. That happened once. Jeb and Bob where blasting off to Minmus, but I realized that my asparagus staging was wrong. The rocket started to flip, but I released those boosters immediately. Luckily, they only destroyed the launch escape system. The rest went all fine, the mission was a success!

Edited by ZentroCatson

planning, or actually, building something.

sometimes, i dont even know what i'll use them for. It's just like Lego.

I'm the same, love building. Often without any purpose in mind, just some rough craft idea. The mission then evolves around the craft design.

But I do also enjoy all other aspects.

Docking to a Space station or another ship.

Docking is awesome and as JohnFX said, landing is also very satisfying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.