[1.11.x] AmpYear Main & Reserve Power Manager (v1.5.9.0) 22nd Feb 2021

JPLRepo

1 minute ago, Deimos Rast said:

Small not quite a bug: "Isolate Reserves" (maybe) does not appear to be persistent (as in it persists through saving/load). At least, in my scenario, I had an isolated reserve, played a bit, game crashed, restarted the next day, no isolation. Thinking about it now, if I remember correctly, AmpYear saves settings on a clean quit, so that's probably when it saves final states/status of isolation (aside from periodically I'm guessing from looking at the log). Am I correct in my thinking? If so, then I guess I crashed before it could save and never mind this report. If no, then something for the issue tracker I guess.:)

Cheers.

And to the above user who is possibly having issues with the mod, check the subsystems tab and the parts section to make sure things are functioning correctly. Those can be a bit fussy at times. But it sounds like something else is at work.

Yes - if the game crashes before a scene switch (from flight to SC, etc) then it won't save anything. AmpYear only saves vessel settings when you switch scenes.
Doing it any more frequently would probably cause performance issues.

On 11/05/2016 at 7:18 AM, JPLRepo said:

@Lennartos - Had a first run through cleaning up the code. In a preliminary test it appears it's reduced Garbage by 11% and CPU/GPU by about 85%. There is probably more that can be done and I need to do more testing to confirm these numbers. the biggest cost saving was converting the list of parts from a sorted dictionary to un-sorted. That obviously changes what you see in-game though as the parts list is no longer the same order every time.

Any idea when this update will be pushed out? Just like Lennartos, my performance has absolutely tanked on even small stations. I have a 78-part station that I average 10 fps when piloting. The second I get a Kerbal out on EVA, it shoots right back up to 60+.

4 minutes ago, LemonSkin said:

Any idea when this update will be pushed out? Just like Lennartos, my performance has absolutely tanked on even small stations. I have a 78-part station that I average 10 fps when piloting. The second I get a Kerbal out on EVA, it shoots right back up to 60+.

You can volunteer to test it for me... or you wait until I have time to test it.

9 minutes ago, LemonSkin said:

I'd be more than happy to volunteer!

Testing means testing Everything... in different scenarios with different mods. Hence why I have not released it. I want to be sure it actually works with at least the supported mods installed with different scenarios (multiple vessels in flight/loaded, saving, restarting, etc, etc). and that takes time.

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Testing means testing Everything... in different scenarios with different mods. Hence why I have not released it. I want to be sure it actually works with at least the supported mods installed with different scenarios (multiple vessels in flight/loaded, saving, restarting, etc, etc). and that takes time.

@Lennartos @LemonSkin - Anyone having performance issues with AmpYear. can you please try out this version and report back. It has some efficiencies but there is a lot more I could do, but I want to know how this performs first. And if there are any bugs to be found.

A pre-release DEV version is available here. BEWARE!!! This is not tested and I expect there to be bugs. So DON"T use with your critical game save.
OR, Backup your game save FIRST.  You have been warned.

So, a first result:

5/19/2016 2:59:32 PM,AmpYear,Failure in AYSubSystem Processing 
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

5/19/2016 2:59:32 PM,AmpYear,Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AY.AYController.SubsystemEnabled (Subsystem subsystem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AY.AYController.SubsystemUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AY.AYController.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Full log (KSP still running updated after exit):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5f3317nbfaqb8i/2016-05-19-1%20AmpYear%201.3.1.0%20feedback.7z?dl=0

Edit:

it feels like the GC is hitting me hard, the log spamming started as the "every 3 seconds one second freeze" issue appeared.

Edit:

I'm still in VAB, when disabling the AmpYear manager and re-enabling, all settings for parts are defaulted after I set them all up before.

Edited by Gordon Dry

okay now I have lost the gui in the vab.  I click on the amp year icon and no gui appears. It's like I dragged it off the screen or something and now I cannot get the thing back???  Where is it's position stored so I can get it back on my screen?

I found and and fixed it.

In the plugin folder I looked in the config.cfg file and for whatever reason ewindowposx and ewindowposy were set to large negative values like -100343.  I closed the game and chnged them to 300, 50 respectively and restarted the game and now I have the gui again in the vab.  As I said not sure what caused it.  I believe I was going to move the window and dragged ia all the way over to the right side of the screen and when I let go it simply disappeared and I was not able to get it back until I edited the file positions.

FwindowPosX = 2213
    FwindowPosY = 676
    EwindowPosX = 300    <--- this was -103323
    EwindowPosY = 50      <--- this was -103324
    SCwindowPosX = 1680
    SCwindowPosY = 348
    EPLwindowPosX = 420
    EPLwindowPosY = 284

Edited by ctbram

4 hours ago, ctbram said:

okay now I have lost the gui in the vab.  I click on the amp year icon and no gui appears. It's like I dragged it off the screen or something and now I cannot get the thing back???  Where is it's position stored so I can get it back on my screen?

I found and and fixed it.

In the plugin folder I looked in the config.cfg file and for whatever reason ewindowposx and ewindowposy were set to large negative values like -100343.  I closed the game and chnged them to 300, 50 respectively and restarted the game and now I have the gui again in the vab.  As I said not sure what caused it.  I believe I was going to move the window and dragged ia all the way over to the right side of the screen and when I let go it simply disappeared and I was not able to get it back until I edited the file positions.

FwindowPosX = 2213
    FwindowPosY = 676
    EwindowPosX = 300    <--- this was -103323
    EwindowPosY = 50      <--- this was -103324
    SCwindowPosX = 1680
    SCwindowPosY = 348
    EPLwindowPosX = 420
    EPLwindowPosY = 284

Hmm that's interesting as the code should check the position, and if off screen is meant to move it back on-screen.
Can you provide any details on the situation when this occurred?  In editor I get, was it displaying ok? you moved it? anything else you can provide so I can try to track this down.
What version were you using?
EDIT: I went back and hardened the code up a bit in regard to checking the screen bounds. Hopefully that will fix this from recurring.
In the meantime glad you found the setting. That is the correct way to fix it.

Edited by JPLRepo

On 15/05/2016 at 6:18 AM, Deimos Rast said:

Small not quite a bug: "Isolate Reserves" (maybe) does not appear to be persistent (as in it persists through saving/load). At least, in my scenario, I had an isolated reserve, played a bit, game crashed, restarted the next day, no isolation. Thinking about it now, if I remember correctly, AmpYear saves settings on a clean quit, so that's probably when it saves final states/status of isolation (aside from periodically I'm guessing from looking at the log). Am I correct in my thinking? If so, then I guess I crashed before it could save and never mind this report. If no, then something for the issue tracker I guess.:)

Cheers.

And to the above user who is possibly having issues with the mod, check the subsystems tab and the parts section to make sure things are functioning correctly. Those can be a bit fussy at times. But it sounds like something else is at work.

I went back and checked the code. This is actually something I missed. It is not persisting the Isolate Reserves setting. Will fix in next version.
https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/27

@Gordon Dry @ctbram and anyone else having performance issues.
Updated/fixed the DEV version to address the bugs. You can get Pre-Release DEV  V1.3.1.1 only on GitHub.
BEWARE!!! This is not tested and I expect there to be bugs. So DON"T use with your critical game save.
OR, Backup your game save FIRST.  You have been warned.

If someone can test this with LARGE parts count vessels and report back to me what the performance is like, that would be very helpful.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

If someone can test this with LARGE parts count vessels and report back to me what the performance is like, that would be very helpful.

I will do tomorrow, I reverted back to last release version and fiddled with my large parts count vessel (some parts will be detached and made to subassemblies later) but now it's time to sleep.

And the GC killed me, 3 seconds go, 3 seconds freeze ... it started with 5 seconds go, 1/2 second freeze. So I have something to compare for tomorrow :huh:

35 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Cross-link, some issue regarding RO, NFP and - as it seems - AmpYear:

I don't see how this is related to AmpYear at all....
Your error is with a failure in NFT NearFuturePropulsion.VariableISPEngine.OnUpdate ()
That is not an AmpYear module.
And I don't see how AmpYear would be causing this as AmpYear does NOT change the values of ANY variables on any Mods. All it does is READ those values.
Tell me, if you remove AmpYear does the null reference error in your log go away? I would be surprised if it does. If it does I will look into it further because that would be incredible.
I noticed in your report AmpYear incorrectly reporting the EC usage of that engine. But that does not surprise me at all, given AmpYear does not support it.
AmpYear currently only supports (IE: READS values) from the NFT Electrical and NFT solar packs and I believe this engine is part of the NFT Propulsion pack? Yes? I am not sure on that because I've never actually played or used these packs myself.

20 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I will do tomorrow, I reverted back to last release version and fiddled with my large parts count vessel (some parts will be detached and made to subassemblies later) but now it's time to sleep.

And the GC killed me, 3 seconds go, 3 seconds freeze ... it started with 5 seconds go, 1/2 second freeze. So I have something to compare for tomorrow :huh:

Any update on whether version 1.3.1.1 improves things?

It does improve things, now my vessel got other last-stage engines (more thrust, less efficient, darn).

But to stay tight with all the issues I stumble upon over time is not easy - I wanna bring the stuff into orbit and dock more stuff later ...

Spoiler

Procedural Fairings issue:
Actually I'm disturbed by exploding engines under the fairinghzAMGfZ.png as soon as I deploy them - no matter how low the ejection forces are set.

3 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I did read through the forums and did a search, but I didn't see the option.  Is there a way to by 'default' to have AMP isolate the reserve power?

No there isn't currently. You have to set it for each vessel. - and it does not save this setting currently in the release version (1.3) but it does in the latest dev version (1.3.1.1).
Raise a request/issue on GitHub and it will get into the queue.

Edited by JPLRepo

I can't say, with my big ass high part experiment I always have bad performance.

But why I am here - please make the AmpYear window in VAB not-through-clickable - I don't want to shred my vessel while setting priorities...

Edit:

btw why are the ION RCS not supported by AmpYear??

Edited by Gordon Dry

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I can't say, with my big ass high part experiment I always have bad performance.

But why I am here - please make the AmpYear window in VAB not-through-clickable - I don't want to shred my vessel while setting priorities...

Edit:

btw why are the ION RCS not supported by AmpYear??

Very well, then I guess we release what we have and see what people think on the performance-side.
I could make it non-click-through. I actually need to convert it all over to the Unity 5 GUI system, but that is a lot of work. But I'll see if I can do a quick fix for this version.
the ION RCS is, as far as EC read-outs... do you mean not supported by the Emergency Shutdown Processing system? - That's just because I didn't get around to doing those parts. I'll see if I can before the next release.

EDIT: Making some more performance improvements before release. Just in case.
Click-through fixed for next release.
ION RCS ESP processing support added for next release.

Edited by JPLRepo

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

AmpYear doesn't save the default settings at the Space Center.

Sorry are you saying changes to the AmpYear settings in the Space Center are not saved when you click save and exit?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.