[1.11.x] AmpYear Main & Reserve Power Manager (v1.5.9.0) 22nd Feb 2021

JPLRepo

Now that KSP 1.2 Prerelease is out, PLEASE do not expect mods to be updated quickly.  
Prerelease is for the purpose of further debugging, and gives us modders an opportunity to see the new code and work with it.  
Since prerelease is typically a moving target, I will not be releasing any "official" release of my mods until KSP goes Full 1.2 Release itself.
Sorry to disappoint you all, but I do not have the free time to be continually updating and releasing while 1.2 is still a moving target.

• 4 weeks later...

I played with this in the last version, with remote tech. it took advantage of the power requirements and calculated what was needed during darkside(no power regen).

I'm building my midlist up again and am wondering.

This time in 1.2 I'm not using remote tech, will it do the same for 'stock' antennas/relays.

out of interest is there any changes to calculations (in regards to power) when designing a new sat with ampyear?

Hi @JPLRepo I'm a first time user of your mod and it looks very interesting but I have a small compatibility issue with USI-LS.

When both mod are installed the USI-LS window is empty in flight (fine in VAB/SPH and the space center). Except that the two mods are working, USI-LS 's resources are consumed and Ampyear is giving the time before blackout and the reserve is working too.

Here a log where I start a new career, build a simple craft, launch it and open the USI-LS window (blank) : https://mega.nz/#!tkF1jQaI!n_3MAXW5y-weOyNgeTLqVIhmqyXms89KzOrFc5dRjvo

22 hours ago, Trolllception said:

I agree.  A stripped down version of AmpYear which simply displays usage / calculates power in the VAB would be great.

Not going to happen sorry.  Besides, what exactly do you consider stripped down??
Don't want to use Reserve Power? - don't put reserve power batteries on your vessels. In fact delete the Parts folder. AmpYear will still give you want you want.
Don't want to use the Emergency Shutdown function? - don't turn it on.
I've tried to make AmpYear as flexible as possible and I don't see why you can't use it as it is.

57 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Not going to happen sorry.  Besides, what exactly do you consider stripped down??
Don't want to use Reserve Power? - don't put reserve power batteries on your vessels. In fact delete the Parts folder. AmpYear will still give you want you want.
Don't want to use the Emergency Shutdown function? - don't turn it on.
I've tried to make AmpYear as flexible as possible and I don't see why you can't use it as it is.

If you want my humble opinion: I believe, that most users use Ampyear only to get an overview of the power consumption and don't care much about the other features. At least I use it that way and I don't even tried the other stuff so far. Compared to that, Ampyear does quite alot changes to the save file (at least I've read so, didn't try it so far), making the removal of the mod difficult. It provides also alot unneeded complexity in GUI and usage - against the motto "one job, one tool".

Don't get me wrong: Your mod is the best for its job I know this far, I am grateful to you providing it, and you have every right to make this mod as you like. But I think, this thread is also here to provide feedback for you. And my feedback is, that a simple window showing the power consumption/production, maybe also the dark times of orbit, and doing nothing else, would be sufficient to me and most of the users. It could also be, that I am totally wrong and that the additional features are used by most of the people. In that case: forget what I've said.

Additionally it appears the AmpYear power manager consumes electric charge.  I was attempting to use the mod with Realism overhaul but turning off the manager every time was a bit tiresome.  I tried to look at the configuration setting to see if all AmpYear power consumption could be disabled by default but was unable to find such a setting.  In realism overhaul often times the solar power is just barely enough to power the probe core and antennas so the added power draw of the manager was an issue.

37 minutes ago, Trolllception said:

Additionally it appears the AmpYear power manager consumes electric charge.  I was attempting to use the mod with Realism overhaul but turning off the manager every time was a bit tiresome.  I tried to look at the configuration setting to see if all AmpYear power consumption could be disabled by default but was unable to find such a setting.  In realism overhaul often times the solar power is just barely enough to power the probe core and antennas so the added power draw of the manager was an issue.

If you like then by all means raise a request on Github for a feature addition. I can add in the ability to turn OFF the default EC consumption, so that you get the AmpYear capabilities for free. Personally I only play RO/RSS and from a realism perspective myself I would expect that getting telemetry data such as EC usage from a vessel WOULD actually cost you resources such as EC. but I can certainly make it an option for those that don't want this.

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

If you like then by all means raise a request on Github for a feature addition. I can add in the ability to turn OFF the default EC consumption, so that you get the AmpYear capabilities for free. Personally I only play RO/RSS and from a realism perspective myself I would expect that getting telemetry data such as EC usage from a vessel WOULD actually cost you resources such as EC. but I can certainly make it an option for those that don't want this.

I'll add the request right now.  I should say I am playing RP-0 and the telemetry is handled by avionics units which already require a hefty amount of power to operate.  

5 hours ago, Torih said:

Thanks for the update, got a slight issue with it throwing a couple of exceptions on each craft load:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny0a7d5oxwxhr7i/output_log_ampyear.txt?dl=0

You mean these:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerboKatz.UI.ContextMenu.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

That is not an AmpYear problem. Problem is with KerboKatz.

10 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

You mean these:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerboKatz.UI.ContextMenu.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

That is not an AmpYear problem. Problem is with KerboKatz.

No this:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at AY.AYController.LoadVesselSettings (.Vessel newvessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AY.AYController.OnVesselLoad (.Vessel newvessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AY.AYController.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

23 minutes ago, Torih said:

No this:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at AY.AYController.LoadVesselSettings (.Vessel newvessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AY.AYController.OnVesselLoad (.Vessel newvessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AY.AYController.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Thanks. Missed that one, pre-coffee. It won't actually cause an issue, but will fix next dot release.

https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/47

9 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

V1.4.1 Release for KSP 1.2.
Fixes a number of bugs including integration ith TAC LS. See Changelog and OP for details and download links.

Thanks, my little issue is gone now. You forgot the version file update though :P

7 hours ago, Torih said:

Thanks, my little issue is gone now. You forgot the version file update though :P

So I did. Sorry everyone about that.
I don't necessarily want to do another version to fix this just yet. I will fix in next update. There will probably be a need for another once other mods have completed update in the coming week or so.
In the meantime to get rid of the AVC version pop-up each time you start KSP you can use a simple text editor to change the file (change the characters in bold):
<dir where your KSP in stalled>\GameData\REPOSoftTech\AmpYear\AmpYear.Version

Spoiler

{
"NAME":"AmpYear",
"URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=147",
"DOWNLOAD":"https://spacedock.info/mod/144/AmpYear",
"VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":4,"PATCH":1,"BUILD":0},
"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":2,"PATCH":0},
"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":2,"PATCH":0},
"KSP_VERSION_MAX":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":2,"PATCH":0}
}

5 minutes ago, Trolllception said:

Will version v1.4.1.0 still work with KSP 1.1.3?  Thanks for so adding the feature to disable the power manager so quickly!  Keep up the great work.

Nope.

Ey @JPLRepo Thanks for your work on ampyear and kabinkrazines. Just wanted to let you know your "AmpYear.version" from your last update 1.4.1.0 seems to have wrong data:it says there is an updated version but there isn't, checked inside the file and it says its version 1.4.0.0. I supose you will want tto fix it.

On 3 August 2016 at 1:54 AM, wile1411 said:

HI JPLRepo

The Dawn ION Engine is the stock ION engine supplied with KSP - elogateumsato might be referring to my post a few posts back. 

Sorry I haven't logged an issue yet - I didn't want to bother you with an issue unless someone else can confirm it is a problem for someone other than myself. Being a stock part I figured was probably supported and I was just seeing a problem on my side. 

• For those following along at home:
    • Can someone/anyone confirm that the STOCK ION engine doesn't register as using EC is an issue for you as well - if so I'll log the issue with pics on GITHUB .

You should look at my post two above yours.

3 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

Quick question: Do you modify the default ModuleCommand in this mod?

No. AmpYear adds resources and it's own partmodule to any part that has ModuleCommand configured to it, but does not alter ModuleCommand. It also adds it's own partmodule to ALL parts as well.

Just now, JPLRepo said:

No. AmpYear adds resources and it's own partmodule to any part that has ModuleCommand configured to it, but does not alter ModuleCommand. It also adds it's own partmodule to ALL parts as well.

Thanks. Trying to find an issue with my command pods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.