[1.11.x] AmpYear Main & Reserve Power Manager (v1.5.9.0) 22nd Feb 2021

JPLRepo

18 hours ago, Brigadier said:

If I understand your question correctly, yes, stock KSP's resource display shows EC.

no, my question was if the stock resource display system uses EC like this Mod does. I understand the purpose, but I never realized if the stock system used EC by default as well. Im not a big fan of it doing that, but its not a big deal at all considering the overhead requirements. youd have to be really bad at planning to run out of EC while sitting idle or on the dark side of orbit due to this mod.

Im also a bit confused how to edit 'Reserved power' I was building a station last night and that popped up in the resource panel randomly. when adding a part with EC, or power charging abilities(not sure which)...it seemed to be random when deciding when to increase or decrease the reserve amount.

9 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

no, my question was if the stock resource display system uses EC like this Mod does. I understand the purpose, but I never realized if the stock system used EC by default as well. Im not a big fan of it doing that, but its not a big deal at all considering the overhead requirements. youd have to be really bad at planning to run out of EC while sitting idle or on the dark side of orbit due to this mod.

Im also a bit confused how to edit 'Reserved power' I was building a station last night and that popped up in the resource panel randomly. when adding a part with EC, or power charging abilities(not sure which)...it seemed to be random when deciding when to increase or decrease the reserve amount.

Well, what do you mean by 'uses'?  The 'display' system displays EC, therefore, it uses the resource value?  Do you mean 'consumes' or 'uses up' EC?  If that's what you mean, I don't believe it does.  If you want to be sure, copy the KSP folder, remove all of the mods from the GameData folder (except the Squad folder) and run stock.

You add Reserve Power by adding Reserve Batteries to the vessel.  They look identical except for a colour change; they're blue instead of the stock gold/yellow.  Many of the stock parts with EC storage also have reserve capacity added with this mod, e.g. the Mk1-2 command pod gets 80 Reserve EC, which you can augment with the batteries.  Reserve EC is different that Stored EC, which, IIRC, comes from capacitors in Nertea's Near Future Electrical mod.

12 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Well, what do you mean by 'uses'?  The 'display' system displays EC, therefore, it uses the resource value?  Do you mean 'consumes' or 'uses up' EC?  If that's what you mean, I don't believe it does.  If you want to be sure, copy the KSP folder, remove all of the mods from the GameData folder (except the Squad folder) and run stock.

You add Reserve Power by adding Reserve Batteries to the vessel.  They look identical except for a colour change; they're blue instead of the stock gold/yellow.  Many of the stock parts with EC storage also have reserve capacity added with this mod, e.g. the Mk1-2 command pod gets 80 Reserve EC, which you can augment with the batteries.  Reserve EC is different that Stored EC, which, IIRC, comes from capacitors in Nertea's Near Future Electrical mod.

Ahh. yes, I didnt notice that it added reserver power to a command module that didnt used to have it. I thought it was something I could change myself(like if I had 1000EC I could reserve 500 manually)

And yes, I ment 'uses EC'. I dont see much use of testing that tho. If the overhead for AMP year is really that low. it wont matter anyways :) great Mod so far. diggin it!

The Darkside EC Usage calculator is insanely useful for building anything before/without RTGs, and yet more so if using RemoteTech (or other shouldn't-stop-in-the-dark mods).  Thanks to SodiumEyes for the original, and JPLRepo for the continuation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

First of all thank you so much for a great, useful mod. I use your mod along with "Near Future Electrical" & "Near Future Solar"

If I'm not mistaking they are listed as "supported mods", however I can't see the parts from that mod being calculated.

For example; I would like to use "SOL-B Expanding Curved Solar Array" but no matter how many I attach to my ship in VAB, my power production remains 0 in AmpYear. Am I missing or doing something wrong perhaps?

There's also this another lovely part which is called "IFS Electric Capacitor (EC2501)" it doesn't exactly "produce" electricity but it converts certain amounts of megajoules to certain amounts battery recharge. Same goes with the lovely Capacitor Banks... It would be wonderful to see these parts and curved solar arrays also being calculated by AmpYear.

You wrote "drop me a line" if we wished to see further additions, so please consider this as my grain of salt in the soup.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Thank you.
I suggest that you remove MM 2.8.1 from the AmpYear 1.5.2 archive :D

Seems I forgot to update MM in my build scripts and the old one got distributed with the mods I updated today. Will fix tomorrow when I get a chance

So I don't want to say this and be wrong, but according to my calculations (which maybe I'm wrong?) your dark side transit numbers are wrong.

For example, I've plugged in the classic 100km orbit above kerbin, and it gives me darkside time of 12:48. But according to my personal calculations, it's actually 10:42. And at an orbit of 2,863,333 (keosync), your calculator says 12:13. But personal calculations claim it's actually 19:54. And this calculator agrees with my numbers as well: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bnichols8/projects/kspdarkness/main.shtml

So how are you calculating dark side times? Because I used your numbers and anecdotally had a satellite run out of juice. Something about your calculations just isn't right. Even at an orbit of 40,000

Okay the problem isn't your calculations. It's the little (Km) next to the numbers... It should actually say (m) because you have to plug in the orbits in METERS, not in kilometers. Small issue, but kinda also a big issue haha.

So I tried to edit the GameData\REPOSoftTech\AmpYear\MMConfigAmpYear.cfg to have not always fixed 80 EC ReservePower but 20% of the part's default ElectricCharge.

I miserably failed. In the worst cases MM had shown 262 errors, the best case was 1 error, but trying to fix that last one I had 8 errors ... I gave up.

I also wanted to have the ReservePower in the second entry NEEDS[AmpYear&RealismOverhaul] to be multiplied by 12.5 (because 1000 / 80 = 12.5).

Could anybody tell me how to do that?

This is the default config:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebAR202],!MODULE[MechJebPod]]:NEEDS[AmpYear]
{
    RESOURCE
	{
		name = ReservePower
		amount = 80
		maxAmount = 80
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = AYCrewPart
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebAR202],!MODULE[MechJebPod]]:NEEDS[AmpYear&RealismOverhaul]:AFTER[AmpYear]
{
    @RESOURCE
	{
		@name = ReservePower
		@amount = 1000
		@maxAmount = 1000
	}	
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[FlagSite]]:NEEDS[AmpYear]
{    
	MODULE
	{
		name = AYPart
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

A small change to make it fit better into KSP 1.3.1 and RSS/RO, based on AmpYear 1.5.1.0 for KSP 1.3.1:

GameData\REPOSoftTech\AmpYear\MMConfigAmpYear.cfg:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebAR202],!MODULE[MechJebPod]]:HAS[!RESOURCE[ReservePower]]:NEEDS[AmpYear,!RealismOverhaul]
{
    RESOURCE
	{
		name = ReservePower
		amount = 80
		maxAmount = 80
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = AYCrewPart
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebAR202],!MODULE[MechJebPod]]:HAS[!RESOURCE[ReservePower]]:NEEDS[AmpYear&RealismOverhaul]:AFTER[AmpYear]
{
    @RESOURCE
	{
		@name = ReservePower
		@amount = 1000
		@maxAmount = 1000
	}	
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[FlagSite]]:NEEDS[AmpYear]
{    
	MODULE
	{
		name = AYPart
	}
}

A custom patch for a mass-relevant change of these values (make it fit to your liking):

GameData\zFinal\zzz_AmpYearAndRealismOverhaul.cfg:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebAR202],!MODULE[MechJebPod]]:NEEDS[AmpYear,!RealismOverhaul]:FOR[zFinal]
{
    @RESOURCE
	{
		@name = ReservePower
		@amount = 50
		@amount *= #$/mass$
		@amount += 50
		@maxAmount = #$amount$
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebAR202],!MODULE[MechJebPod]]:NEEDS[AmpYear&RealismOverhaul]:FOR[zzzRealismOverhaul]
{
    @RESOURCE
	{
		@name = ReservePower
		@amount = 100
		@amount *= #$/mass$
		@amount += 100
		@maxAmount = #$amount$
	}
}

And finally a custom patch to fix the "mistake" (or is it really one?) that some probes have no EC at all but ReservePower in RealismOverhaul install - this one fits to the above IMHO:

GameData\zFinal\zzz_AddElectricChargeToPodsWhoDontHave.cfg:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:HAS[!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]:NEEDS[!RealismOverhaul]
{
    RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 100
		@amount *= #$/mass$
		@amount += 100
		maxAmount = #$amount$
	}	
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:HAS[!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]]:FOR[zzzRealismOverhaul]
{
    RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 300
		@amount *= #$/mass$
		@amount += 300
		maxAmount = #$amount$
	}	
}

All this works when you use
KSP 1.3.1 and AmpYear 1.5.0.1 and ModuleManager 3.0.4 and last but not least RealismOverhaul 12.0.0.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/9/2018 at 6:30 AM, Gordon Dry said:

@JPLRepo omg, what did I just find in the log?

6/8/2018 9:40:46 PM,AmpYear,Wrong kerbalism version - disabled.

Darn ... this is way too restrictive. Other mods could be updated. :P

Sorry you feel that way. But the author of that mod kept making changes that made it imcompatible. I’ll review once 1.4.5 is released.

20 hours ago, CMagnuson said:

Any chance an update is coming for this plugin to make it compatible with KSP v1.4.4? The warning message telling me to use an older version of KSP is becoming bothersome.

It works for me in for me in a KSP v1.4.4 career.  Give it a try (backup your save first).

• 2 weeks later...

There may be an issue with how the mod works with Dang It! Continued, whereby A battery failed and my attempts to fix it didn't restore battery functionality. I couldn't transfer reserve power to main power - it would just disappear until I had no power left of any kind. Not sure if it's actually a problem though, or I've misunderstood something about either or both mods :)

NVM ignore this post/delete - still happens with Ampyear uninstalled.

Edited by dockingtutorialimpossible
delete post please

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.