Optimal KSP Custom Computer?

Cryova

I plan to build a new desktop that can capture the full epicness of this game, and what would be optimal for this? I currently got a build plan going shown below. How well could this crank out FPS in KSP and on what graphical settings?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($28.74 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital RE3 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)

Case: DIYPC Zondda-S ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Sceptre E205W-1600 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($11.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $515.57

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 21:35 EDT-0400

That'll run the stock game perfectly no questions asked.

However, if you plan on extensively modding it (and/or getting into the Visual mods), I'd recommend upgrading the CPU and the video card. A step or two above (IE, next best in the series) in either one will do wonders. Also recommend upgrading your RAM to 8 or 16GB, one because its cheap enough that there's no reason not to (and good RAM will last a long time), and because it'll allow you to take advantage of x64 whenever its available (or you decide to use the hack to get it). If you go for more ram, be sure that your Windows install is 64bit.

I'd also put a bit more money into the power supply myself and get something a bit more powerful. But thats not totally necessary. From my perspective, I like to have my computers last a long time, so I always put a bit more money into the small stuff so they last. I've had this computer since 2007 and most of it is still the original parts that nowadays are only just starting to fall out of the top of the line. If you wanted to go for a "future-proofed*" type of build, then I'd definitely also recommend upgrading to a full size tower and Motherboard so it'll be easier to upgrade.

*In reality, no build could ever really be future proofed (unless you went into the future), but it is very possible to design builds that'll last an entire gaming generation, if not more, with minimal upgrades.

Wow, very nice idea! Good luck, it's not that expensive actually, and it looks great! I think it's time for me to get some new parts for my PC, which runs games moderately. I would like some help, and here are my current specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 1.73 GHz

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Which one of these do I need to upgrade to get my games to run faster? I am asking in this thread because whichever one is the answer, I may want to replace it with one of the parts above for your PC build! Thanks!

If you want to build a computer just for KSP, you are going to need an optimal single thread speed. This means that Intel is going to be the best bet. You do not need hyper-threading or many cores, so a modern i3 with a good clock speed should suffice. If you want to optimize for other games too, more cores are the next step.

The AMD is great value for money, but as KSP performance primarily floats on one thing - thread performance - the Intel gains the upper hand there. If you want to build a system that is more suitable for a wider range of games, going for the AMD might be a better bet, as it has slightly more power when it is able to utilize all cores.

Wow, very nice idea! Good luck, it's not that expensive actually, and it looks great! I think it's time for me to get some new parts for my PC, which runs games moderately. I would like some help, and here are my current specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 1.73 GHz

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Which one of these do I need to upgrade to get my games to run faster? I am asking in this thread because whichever one is the answer, I may want to replace it with one of the parts above for your PC build! Thanks!

We are talking about a laptop, right? Upgrading is generally not possible (or a hassle and/or very expensive), so you will have to make do with what you have. The only common upgrades in laptops are memory and the hard drive, and your memory seems to be sufficient.

Edited by Camacha

Yes, it is a laptop. That's too bad, and yes, the memory is pretty good. What about the hard drive?

You can upgrade to a SSD, but that will hardly add any performance (as in, frame rate wise none). Only games that depend on streaming technology, like GTA or Skyrim, benefit from such a drive.

Currently the Pentium G3258 will run rings around the FX-6300 in KSP, even more so if you overclock it. It's an awesome value proposition for single thread performance.

When KSP moves to Unity 5 that might change, it all depends on how well KSP can take advantage of multiple threads for its physics.

Edit: Ninja'd!

While an i3 is very good for KSP the best possible choice would be an i5 with a "K" suffix so you can overclock it. Depending on your cooling solution and luck with the chip you can get to about 4,2-4,5 ghz, which will be even faster than i3.

Im not sure how RAM speed scales with KSP but in most games, which are limited by the CPU, fast RAM helps...

From my reading on the subject, it looks like multithreaded physics won't be a big win unless you've got multiple craft within the physics window, so I'd recommend the G3258 unless you do a lot of multi-craft bases and similar operations. Note: docked craft will probably count as a single craft for purposes of this.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/42877-CPU-Performance-Database

The G3258 doesn't do as well the fast i5's and i7's, despite KSP only heavily loading one core, but it still outdoes the FX-series.

It's widely speculated that KSP 1.1, set to be the next major release, will handle physics on a one-thread-per-ship basis so a high core count will be useful for things like docking or making bases but not for performance on a single ship. We won't know for sure until 1.1 is actually out though.

In general more cores only helps programs that can use those extra cores but better performance per core helps everything.

How would this compared to my build shown earlier while playing KSP?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pg92wP

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pg92wP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3460 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($86.24 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Mwave)

Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($36.40 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)

Case: DIYPC Solar-M1-R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.79 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Sceptre E205W-1600 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($11.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $554.37

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 17:05 EDT-0400

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.