[1.1.3] RealHeat (Minimalist) v4.3 July 3

NathanKell

I am using Sigma Dimensions for 6.4 size 1/10 RSS or so to speak 0.57 x RSS in combination with Realism Oberhaul.

With Real Heat 4.2 including Modular Flight Integrator my rockets wobble a lot in atmosphere. After deleting Modular Flight Integrator it works fine again. Is this a known issue?

Man, I can't believe I forgot to get this for 1.1.2!!! It's been a while, this uses the stock reentry slider right? I set mine to 200% to make the game harder, will this acknowledge that and ramp up the heat as well?

34 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

I don't believe so, this calculates the actual shock temperature instead of the gamey system KSP uses.

Ahh. Does it completely override the stock system?

27 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Yes, it completely replaces the stock shock temperature calculations.

Darn. Oh well. It's still  great mod, just not for me.

• 5 weeks later...

So, a big favor (getting back into KSP/64k): is there an explanation anywhere of the math and variables behind simulating heating? I'm trying to debug some issues on overheating during reentry in a 64k installation, and right now, I have little idea what I'm even looking at.

EDIT: No longer urgent; figured out what was going on (CKAN version of 64k lacks some essential configs).

Edited by Starman4308

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

is there a simplified equation that gives the maximum heat or temperature?

Max gforces or deltaV-loss per reentry at a given Periapsis, density at periapsis, atmospheric scale heigt and ballistic coefficient can be calculated. But I couldn't find anything that shows maximum expected heat.

I want to aerobrake coming back from Pluto at speeds of 13.000 to 20.000m/s and would like to estimate the expected heat / how deep my craft could ditch into Earth's atmosphere.

Hmm...maybe I should explain what I have in mind:

q-dot can be calculated when you know v and rho at Periapsis and your craft's nose Radius. The Unit is W/m^2. 

Can this maximum heating rate q-dot be put into the Stefan-Boltzmann-Relationship for j* (the sign used in wikipedia) ? If so, then you would only need to know the specific emissivity of lets say the Mk-1 pod, put it into the Boltzmann law as well and solve for T. This should then give the maximum temperature of the part at that specific Speed@Periapsis.

or am I mixing up things here?

and where would I find this value?

I'm German, feel free to ask if things ain't clear enough...(and send prayer for the match vs Italy tomorrow)

Sadly RealHeat is Not That Good Yet (tm). RealHeat just changes the shock heat temperature, it otherwise uses stock for computing convection. The shock temperature is calculated by @ferram4's atmospheric modeling (i.e. computing disassociation energies etc, IIRC).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, SpacedInvader said:

Has anyone tried this for 1.6.1?

@Phineas Freak recompiled for 1.6.1 on March  25th (thanks). If you could tag it and create a release that'd be great as I think CKAN would pick up on that automatically.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealHeat/commits/master

Hopefully just a recompile is needed for 1.7.1 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 3:06 PM, Nightside said:

Is Modular Flight Integrator still a dependency? The OP says it is include in the release, but it is not. 

Yes, someone probably just forgot to package it

On 4/28/2019 at 1:06 AM, Nightside said:

Is Modular Flight Integrator still a dependency?

Yes it is. Do mind that MFI will not be bundled in any future releases, since Kopernicus is the only mod that has the right to directly distribute it.

Current releases do bundle MFI but with a catch: the MFI assembly resides under the RealHeat/Plugins directory and not on a separate "MFI" folder. Meaning that:

• you will get two MFI assemblies out-of-the-box (one from the "MFI" redistribution itself and one from RealHeat)
  • when MFI gets updated you end up with two different MFI versions, possibly conflicting. I can only assume the end result...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.