Bulldog Mk2 - Heavy VTOL Lander/Puff Puff - Ultralight RCS Dropship

CRAFT FILES:

Bulldog Mk2 - https://goo.gl/QXzYWd

Puff Puff - https://goo.gl/lk7sTf

Does any remember the Bulldog? No? Anyway, it's received a 1.0 facelift and has been re-purposed as an heavy duty lander, cargo transporter and mother ship.

5bcz278.jpg

The bare bones version puts out 5.5k of Delta V and is Tylo capable to boot. :cool:

9zq3SsF.jpg

The Bulldog Mk2 is unique among my designs in that the aft and tail sections are balanced around the drive section, meaning the chassis can be extended out to create a huge number of varients while still retaining perfect balance, pretty neat huh? :wink:

yfdSSZz.jpg

The Bulldog currently comes in three flavours, there's the standard model, cargo version (pictured bellow), the maxi edition which is built around the CRG-50 cargo bay, and finally the BYO or build your own version (pictured above), which comes preloaded with Moth Mk2 and Puff Puff ultralight dropships.

9U1mj9j.jpg

Developed at the same time as the Bulldog is the Puff Puff, a ultralight RCS powered dropship designed from the ground up to serve as a base builder, light tug, micro lander, emergency escape vessel and generally awesome all rounder.

wGmfQ7K.jpg

Coming in at just 25 parts the Puff Puff is simple, easy to use and robust. You can fit up to two Puff Puffs in the CRG-25 cargo bay in either over...

R7mBLOz.jpg

...or under configurations.

HEzk507.jpg

Despite its size it has some impressive hauling capabilities and can even build stuff on Tylo if needbe.

Lb6C3Ul.jpg

OWNERS GUIDE:

BULLDOG MK 2 - By far the biggest dropship in the fleet the Bulldog Mk2 is a very powerful vessel but one that needs to be treated with respect. The handlings pretty good for its size but I'd advise you to activate the RCS subsystem close to landing as this will make the craft a lot more agile. SAS should be left on at all times, and a joystick is highly recommended. Like my previous designs the Bulldog Mk2 features a horizontal cockpit for suborbital flying/landing and a vertically mounted docking port for orbital piloting. When performing burns with the navball the top docking port must be selected, this also applies if using Mechjeb. The Maxi version of the craft has its vertical axis docking port located inside the cargo bay.

PUFF PUFF - The polar opposite of the Bulldog the Puff Puff is light, compact and extremely (maybe even too) agile. It's designed primarily as a base builder, emergency escape vessel and light tug although it can also serve a compact lander if needbe. It puts out around 2.7k of Delta V and can operate on most panetary bodies in the Kerbal system. It comes with a parachute allowing for safe landings back on Kerbin, it probably goes without saying but be sure to orient the vessel to protect the parachute during re-entry!

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engines

3 - Toggle Nav Lights (Bulldog Mk2 Only)

5 - Undock/De-Couple Top Docking Port

9 - Toggle Ladders (Bulldog Mk2 Only)

0 - Toggle Cargo Bay Doors (Bulldog Mk2)/Cut Chute (Puff Puff)

ABORT - Undock/De-Couple Cargo Port

Sorry about the delay getting these out, things have just been a busy for me lately. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the crafts and if anyone needs a custom version of either of these vessels feel free to flick me a PM. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

• 2 months later...
Unfortunitely, it is short of do to get back in orbit. I'll be testing the other lightweight lander you have, this is for a combined Ike and Duna landing.

If you are speaking of the Moth, I'm not entirely sure it will work on Duna. If you have MechJeb or KER you can check the numbers in the VAB, you want a TWR that's bigger than 1 on the planet you want to use it.

I love it! :D Very cool spacecraft here, once again I'm looking at my own spacecraft and thinking "By Notch I'm a terrible builder..." (yes I said 'by Notch' - I'm a Minecrafter, deal with it). That seems to be happening all too often since I started on the KSP forums... :blush: Still, awesome stuff! Are there details on the other micro-dropship as well?

Edited by AxleMC131
Minecraft-ER

If you are speaking of the Moth, I'm not entirely sure it will work on Duna. If you have MechJeb or KER you can check the numbers in the VAB, you want a TWR that's bigger than 1 on the planet you want to use it.

I was trying to configure the PuffPuff to be able to land and take off on Duna. It can land, but doesn't have quite enough Dv to get back to orbit.

I tried added some more of those external tanks, but even adding 4 of them, wasn't enough.

If you could configure one to be able to do that, that would be great. Especially if it could return to a 100 Km orbit with Dv left over for docking

I love it! :D Very cool spacecraft here, once again I'm looking at my own spacecraft and thinking "By Notch I'm a terrible builder..." (yes I said 'by Notch' - I'm a Minecrafter, deal with it). That seems to be happening all too often since I started on the KSP forums... :blush: Still, awesome stuff! Are there details on the other micro-dropship as well?

Thanks for the feedback! :D As for the other micro dropship I think this one could be the one you're looking for:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123922-Moth-Mk2-Ultralight-Ion-Dropship

I was trying to configure the PuffPuff to be able to land and take off on Duna. It can land, but doesn't have quite enough Dv to get back to orbit.

I tried added some more of those external tanks, but even adding 4 of them, wasn't enough.

If you could configure one to be able to do that, that would be great. Especially if it could return to a 100 Km orbit with Dv left over for docking

I'm afriad since 1.04 hit the Puff Puff has mysterious lost 700 m/s of DV, ;.; that said it's designed more as a base builder than a lander which is why it trades DV for T/W. I suppose a possible solution would be to land a mining rig/fuel drump and refill the tanks on the surface?

Cupcake...

I was actually thinking of the Gnat.

The main mission is to Ike, I'd like to send a small lander along to get to Duna at the same time.

I think the Gnat will do, I just need to get the additional SRBs I've added to work properly.

As of now, they do fine, but as soon as they separate, the entire ship rolls over and explodes. This is with Mechjeb. It's acting as if the separation changes the control point and Mechjeb gets confused.

I did verify before launch that the Clampotron in the nose was the control point.

Edit: I think I got it working. Instead of having the liquid engines fire after the SRBs, I have them firing at launch, although limited to 25m/s. This way when the SRBs separate, the control point stays the same.

I'm trying to make the Gnat LV to be able to get to Duna from a 450 km orbit around Kerbin. I don't care about getting back, this will be part of a 2 ship fleet, the other ship will have enough room to carry the pilot home

- - - Updated - - -

Cupcake,

I'm going to finish this design later on. As of now, the Gnat can get to orbit and then to Duna. And I think it will have enough Dv to get back to Kerbin, but I haven't tested that yet.

What would you think about changing the connector between the Gnat and the lifter, from a decoupler to a docking port, and then adding what's needed to stabilize the lifter while the Gnat is gone (Mechjeb, reaction wheel, battery, solar panels). I'm going to try to do this, if I can get it to work, I'll send it to you.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm going to finish this design later on. As of now, the Gnat can get to orbit and then to Duna. And I think it will have enough Dv to get back to Kerbin, but I haven't tested that yet.

What would you think about changing the connector between the Gnat and the lifter, from a decoupler to a docking port, and then adding what's needed to stabilize the lifter while the Gnat is gone (Mechjeb, reaction wheel, battery, solar panels). I'm going to try to do this, if I can get it to work, I'll send it to you.

By adding two Advanced Segmented Solid Booster (2) SRBs, I can get this to a 450km orbit with enough dv to get it on the way to Duna. The ship would then have enough dv to get into Duna orbit, with around 900 dv left over.

I couldn't get the connector changed to a docking port, it works, but the docking port is stuck inside the Mk 2 Rocket Fuel fuselage.

I should be able to dock it with my main ship and bring it back, but that's for another night. It's a shame I can't somehow salvage the fuel in the fuselage (the main ship uses nuclear engines)

Aww the puff puff is so cute! XD

I dont see any hatch on it though. How do kerbals get in?

If you stand your Kerbal on the "windshield" (which is actually a radial intake, I believe) the "press B to board" should appear.

By adding two Advanced Segmented Solid Booster (2) SRBs, I can get this to a 450km orbit with enough dv to get it on the way to Duna. The ship would then have enough dv to get into Duna orbit, with around 900 dv left over.

I couldn't get the connector changed to a docking port, it works, but the docking port is stuck inside the Mk 2 Rocket Fuel fuselage.

I should be able to dock it with my main ship and bring it back, but that's for another night. It's a shame I can't somehow salvage the fuel in the fuselage (the main ship uses nuclear engines)

I'll try and rework the LV at some stage so you can redock to it in orbit. I thought about doing it originally but I kind of liked the way the stage blended seamlessly with the lander. Feel free to post some pics of your mission BTW. :) Come to think of it I should really give the Gnat it's own thread. :P

If you stand your Kerbal on the "windshield" (which is actually a radial intake, I believe) the "press B to board" should appear.

Thanks man! :)

Cupcake...

I'll try and rework the LV at some stage so you can redock to it in orbit. I thought about doing it originally but I kind of liked the way the stage blended seamlessly with the lander. Feel free to post some pics of your mission BTW. :) Come to think of it I should really give the Gnat it's own thread. :P

Cupcake...

I'll do that, it will be included in my overall mission.

Right now, I have a contract to land a rover on Ike, with wheels, with a cupola, which can support 8 Kerbals. I like to make sure that they can get back to Kerbin, so I've built a rather nice rover/ship out of Mk2 parts. The ship/rover is launched in two pieces, one is the ship, the other is the transfer stage, which contains the engine/fuel to get to/back from Duna. I'm going to send the gnat along at the same time to land on Duna. To come home, I'll either dock the gnat to the main ship and bring it home (if I have enough Dv) , or just leave it in Duna orbit.

I'm almost ready to start the mission, and will post pics, etc as it goes.

I'll do that, it will be included in my overall mission.

Right now, I have a contract to land a rover on Ike, with wheels, with a cupola, which can support 8 Kerbals. I like to make sure that they can get back to Kerbin, so I've built a rather nice rover/ship out of Mk2 parts. The ship/rover is launched in two pieces, one is the ship, the other is the transfer stage, which contains the engine/fuel to get to/back from Duna. I'm going to send the gnat along at the same time to land on Duna. To come home, I'll either dock the gnat to the main ship and bring it home (if I have enough Dv) , or just leave it in Duna orbit.

I'm almost ready to start the mission, and will post pics, etc as it goes.

Well I've got good news and bad news. :P The good news is I've been working on a new version of the (soon to be renamed) Gnat and have managed to drastically boost the performance, handling and prettyness.

kd18uTZ.jpg

It now sports an LV-909 and will have no issues getting you down to the surface of Duna and back. :) Total DV with drop tanks is just over 4K.

Wab61s8.jpg

The bad news is I imagine this vessal has come too late and your mission has launched already. :sealed:

0yLfICv.jpg

Any naming suggestions? :wink:

Cupcake...

Any naming suggestions? :wink:

Cupcake...

Well, since it evolved from a gnat I would suggest The Mosquito!

If you have a download ready for the weekend I will include one in my first Duna fleet that is parked in LKO at the moment. The mission is planed for Saturday night. I could add my own LV, no problem there, would be my pleasure to test it out on Duna.

Edited by Dafni

Well, since it evolved from a gnat I would suggest The Mosquito!

If you have a download ready for the weekend I will include one in my first Duna fleet that is parked in LKO at the moment. The mission is planed for Saturday night. I could add my own LV, no problem there, would be my pleasure to test it out on Duna.

Here you go.

https://goo.gl/pizBoh

Have fun! :)

Cupcake...

Awesome! Thank you!

Scythe works too (I know what it is, but I have no idea how to pronounce it :blush:)

No worries. Even in it's current state the LV will get you to Duna and back if needbe. Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.