[1.0.5] VX Series - Stockalike Engine Pack (No longer supported)

Randazzo

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick note to say that I'm really enjoying this mod. The VX-03 2.5m engine in particular is seeing a lot of use for my two-man landers on airless worlds.

Glad you like it! I was all down in the dumps over what I'm perceiving as a flop (not this one), some kind words were needed.

That 'vacuum' nozzle is Awful short for a 'vacuum' nozzle :wink:

One of my many sins. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any particular reason for the model change? The old model was much more distinctive, while still blending well with stock parts.

I thought it could use improving. Too small, garish colors. Didn't think it blended well at all, really. Version 1.1 is still available on Kerbalstuff if you prefer it over the new one. It can be found under the changelog.

CdinvJA.png

Earmarking this for future reference... I always felt like the ever-increasing gap in TWR between 1.25m and 2.5m that the recent stock patches have introduced is absurd (the Twin Boar has 32 to the Swivel's 14 for crying out loud), and also felt like playing with 2x-3x planet resizes as I like to do deserved an early higher thrust option. The Hornet seems to address both while having a nice model. Will definitely consider trying that in my 1.1 playthrough.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome job on the new Hornet. That engine is by far my absolute favorite of yours, and it has been the main workhorse engine for the vast majority of my early-mid carreer. Even now, after finally researching more advanced propulsion, it still finds its way in multi-engine clusers on larger rockets

• 1 month later...
These look great!
I love the new Hornet design :) . The old one always looked like it'd better fit with KSP 0.14 than the newer, fancier parts.

Thanks!

The engines in this pack represent my earliest work, and the urge to remodel them all is powerful. ;)

Edited by Randazzo

• 4 weeks later...
Thank Kerbin (and you of course) that you did the updates for both mods (VX and CC) today, cos i just discovered them :cool:

Instagrab, nice-looking-and-for-a-purpose engines.
And the CC of course, because it awakes the lego-kerbal in me, with adapters clusters and such.

[quote name='Thourion']Thank Kerbin (and you of course) that you did the updates for both mods (VX and CC) today, cos i just discovered them :cool:

Instagrab, nice-looking-and-for-a-purpose engines.
And the CC of course, because it awakes the lego-kerbal in me, with adapters clusters and such.[/QUOTE]

Nice, hope you enjoy them :)

[quote name='129828']A very nice mod, I like the models.
Could you maybe make a mode with the engines wiht more exhaust that it only activates the middle one or just 2 for precision engines[/QUOTE]

There aren't any with center engines, but dual mode for maneuvering is something to consider indeed.

• 1 month later...

With the impending update to 1.1 (and engine overhaul to follow ~1.2), I have decided to give in to my desire to overhaul the engines in this mod. This is going to bring some fundamental changes:

• All engines (excluding the Hornet, as it has already been done) will be re-designed into a more consistent aesthetic.
    • All existing engines will have the exact same form-factor when redesigned, to prevent breaking saves.
  • Some engines will be moved to different roles, and some new engines will be introduced.
    • The "Impulse" line will be relegated to landing duties for it's low profile. Thrust will be increased, ISP will be decreased. The "Landerspike" will continue to be the best choice for atmospheric worlds.
    • New, more appropriate Vacuum engines will be added. These will be heavier and certainly quite a bit longer than the current Impulse line. I am currently intending to make these dual-mode engines, capable of running on LFO or Monoprop.
    • Engine names within the configs will not change, to prevent breaking saves.
  • Memory Consumption is going to increase.
    • While I've made some efforts in the past to reduce memory usage by reducing texture size and quality (and quantity in some cases), I believe the benefits of doing so are minimal while the visual quality suffers significantly. Much of the fine detail is lost after cutting the texture size in half and then converting to DDS (which is a lossy format itself). The new textures will be released at full size (1024x1024), or possibly reduced to 3/4 size (768x768) at the most.
    • Custom engine effects are going to be necessary, requiring extra FX models.
Spoiler

The new "Catalyst" (3.75 orbital/upper stage)

iq9WWoh.pngPP79m47.png

Spoiler

The new VADULE (0.625 engine, now dual mode, and will get renamed)

7s8A7Jg.png

45 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

First renders of the new 1.25m service engine. Dual-mode, can run on LFO or Monopropellant.

In reference to your post on the 24th, I don't believe that 768x768 textures can be compressed since DDS compression relies on factors of 2 (128, 256, 512, 1024, and 2048 being the ones you actually use).

New engine is looking cool. Are those verniers?

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

In reference to your post on the 24th, I don't believe that 768x768 textures can be compressed since DDS compression relies on factors of 2 (128, 256, 512, 1024, and 2048 being the ones you actually use).

New engine is looking cool. Are those verniers?

Sounds like 1024 will be the winner then. Those nozzles are for running Monopropellant mode.

Edited by Randazzo