Points of interest.

Planets in KSP are not procedural and probably will never be.

This could work in the players favour.

On each world one or more point of interest. Built into the non-procedural planet/moon/Asteroid?

A bit like the monument on the MUN only natural in origin.

An interesting additional reason for going and landing. Photo oportunity!

Perhaps a cave with some natural but interesting formation inside.

A deep narrow crevasse only accessible by EVA/jetpack with interesting formations at the bottom.

A geyser that periodically shoots particles into space and from the ground looks terrifying!

A weird hollow asteroid

A forest of rock pillars that look like they could have been made by wind or water. Keep the scientists talking for years.

Maybe my imagination is a bit too grand and it may be too difficult to implement but if they were all made of one part and any animation like for geysers could use existing rocket engine effects adapted for the situation.

What do you lot think? too much?

A forest of rock pillars that look like they could have been made by wind or water. Keep the scientists talking for years.

This actually got me thinking about Lem's 'Fiasco'. Once the terrain scatter gets solid I would like to get lost in one of those.

I like the idea. Some more formations on the planets would be pretty fun to explore and drive around. I would especially like canyons with sharp edges. You drive your rover and then the road suddenly ends! Surprise sky diving! :o

I think that caves are impossible in the game right now. Maybe some day it will change.

I think that caves are impossible in the game right now. Maybe some day it will change.

If the whole cave was actually a model made with the same texture as the planet?

It could all be above the 'real' ground level just seem to be part of the planet.

No different really than the monument on The Mun. More vertexes and faces sure but still just a model.

Gets my vote.

Specific 'natural' features like unusual rock formations etc could be made in the same way that the anomalies are, but just made to look more natural.

It would be good to have at least one point if interest per body too.

Actually Kerbin has quite a few interesting natural features. The impact crater with the central island, several significant mountain peaks and valleys, numerous lakes etc.

Maybe as a starting point some of these already existing features, and similar things on other bodies, could be officially named and marked in some way.

If the whole cave was actually a model made with the same texture as the planet?

It could all be above the 'real' ground level just seem to be part of the planet.

No different really than the monument on The Mun. More vertexes and faces sure but still just a model.

The cave on Tylo was meant to blend in the terrain, but it didn't look very good. There was something about the texture. On the other hand the pyramid on Duna looks pretty good. At least it did last time I visited the place. One corner seemed to be floating above the ground on low detail setting, but otherwise it looked pretty OK.

The cave on Tylo was meant to blend in the terrain, but it didn't look very good. There was something about the texture. On the other hand the pyramid on Duna looks pretty good. At least it did last time I visited the place. One corner seemed to be floating above the ground on low detail setting, but otherwise it looked pretty OK.

I was thinking maybe a bigger model than the cave on Tylo.. more building sized.. something to explore..

I support this idea.

Better get more place of interest than copypasted planet.

If several of those place happened to be relatively close to each other you would also solve one of KSP's Conundrum : What to build rover for.

Remember how you explore the KSC looking for all science. Imagine doing the same anywhere else.

Eventually you could rebalance science to make sure those place are slightly more interesting (yet only fully explorable in EVA/rover)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.