What is your Kryptonite?

LavaCake

It seems that their are skills/habits/etc. that hinder gamers while they play different games (And I am definitely no exception :P), but it also seems that this happens quite a lot in KSP. So, I ask you guys; what is the one thing that greatly hinders you while playing KSP?

For me, it is definitely docking, as I only succeeded once in doing it in the 300+ hours of gameplay I have in KSP.

One last note, if this thread has already been made, then feel free to take this down, mods!

• Can't do docking
  • Can't rendezvous
  • Can't travel to other planets
  • Can't build SSTO's

:') im so baddd XD

Never tried SSTOs, I do have some trouble rendezvous, but I guess that's part of docking and I tried going to Duna once but forgot parachutes and crashed into the planet, which, simply put, was infuriating, which really is the sum of my extra-terrestrial exploration :mad:

VTOLs. Ive seen people who throw them together in a few minutes with minimum magic spinny wheels, but I can only make one with rocket engines with lots of gimbal, and, around 40 reaction magic wheels.

Time.

Yup, that's a pretty big problem, and not just for KSP >.>

- - - Updated - - -

VTOLs. Ive seen people who throw them together in a few minutes with minimum magic spinny wheels, but I can only make one with rocket engines with lots of gimbal, and, around 40 reaction magic wheels.

Yeah, I once tried to create a VTOL a while ago, but I greatly underestimated how difficult it would be to build and thought I could just stick an engine below the center of mass, but apparently not >.>

Timewarp. I am always so afraid of lacking time to do something, that my savegames don't make the time move forward enough for the interesting planetary missions. It's a bit sad really, because it's totally a self-imposed limitation. :(

Rune. Otherwise, I've done everything, several times.

Plane landings: Never actually landed a plane on anything but the broad, totally flat northern ice cap of Kerbin.

SSTOs: Never built one that actually worked. Not one.

Memory: I'm playing KSP on a rather old laptop.

New aero: It's harder than I thought to re-jigger my old designs to work without running out of fuel due to too much drag, or overheating and exploding due to too little drag.

EDIT: Finally managed to take off and land an Aeris A3 on the SPH runway. After buzzing the tower for the first time, no less!

Edited by zxczxczbfg

Optimal ascent trajectory. If I start doing it, the rocket will usually flip over. Way too often my ascent trajectory consists of 30km straight up, then turning 90 degrees once predicted apoapsis passes 70km and burning parallel to the ground the rest of the way.

Also, since my launch stage is recoverable but definitely SUBorbital, my initial orbits tend to be quite sloppy, as I need to bring the payload/transfer stage above the 70km limit and into an orbit with periapsis over 55km ASAP, without waiting for neat conditions for optimal burn, as I need to switch back to the launch stage to bring it safely down.

OTOH, that really doesn't hinder me. I've gotten really good with maneuver nodes. From Minmus surface to orbital rendezvous in single node and within 100m of the target? Orbital insertion, plane matching and rendezvous in one node? What about this: perform a bi-elliptic transfer (not enough dV for a Hohmann!) in a craft that cannot turn around at all? So taking off from a sloppy orbit means just a bit more of fiddling with the node. I don't bother circularizing before the transfer because all it serves is making the transfer node easier to make.

Oh, and I tend to overengineer the stuff that leaves Kerbin. It's not infrequent to burn some 2000dV in orbit instead of performing aerobraking, simply to reduce the landing weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I once tried to create a VTOL a while ago, but I greatly underestimated how difficult it would be to build and thought I could just stick an engine below the center of mass, but apparently not >.>

Why, they are quite easy! It's giving them the horizontal start ability that's tricky!

Building space stations. I lack creative vision alongside how to get it up there. I'm in the process of building a kerbal Space Station (which I eventually plan to move to Minmus or the Mun) The first stage is in orbit and consists of a Science module, hitchhiker module, mk1 pod + the usual power/RCS related things.

Stage 2 is to launch and dock at least two of the Rockomax Jumbo-64 tanks and eventually some RCS tanks. I intend it to be a cross between a fuelling station and a science station, hence the plan to move it to one of the nearby moons.

I am now stuck on the best way to get the tanks up there with good RCS manoeuvrability for docking as well as the thrust required to reach orbit.

Stage 3 will probably include more solar panels and power storage to supplement the basic ones on the initial stage. Then of course I have to figure out how to get the thing to where ever I decide to send it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.